SPAWAR Systems Center Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.0

NREIP Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center in January 2015.

Interview

Once you are selected, the mentor will ask you questions about your resume and explains the project he/she is working on. It seemed more like a chat and to gage your interest in their project.

Interview Questions

• Have you has any past experiences with independently doing research?   Answer Question

New Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center in December 2014.

Interview

Met with a recruiter who had my application documents and questioned me on my experience in my resume and the classes I took on my transcript. An easy interview that was more conversational about my education and background and what I could potentially be working on if hired.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult project you had to work on?   Answer Question

Electronics Technician Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center.

Interview

Good old boy system, unless you are extremely qualified.Hello sir you are obviously qualified for the job are you willing to go to Afghanistan? Are you willing to die for your country and go into a war zone?

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to go to Afghanistan?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me what I wanted.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (San Diego, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very self-confused organization. Asked for every imaginable piece of personal information to compile their 'file', and then pretty much disappeared into a black hole. It would appear that the hiring process is more geared towards keeping SPAWAR personnel busy than actually looking for qualified individuals. The whole experience had a nice 'data mining' feeling to it.

Interview Questions

• What questions??? They do not bother to even pick up the phone and chat with a prospective candidate.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Sent resume over and received a call three months later. Then I had a phone interview with multiple people. It wasn't bad at all, but I had good industry experience which helped

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Took an unreasonably long time. HR office computer crashed and lost all resumes that had been submitted via on-campus recruiting system. It was only through repeated follow up emails from me that I was given an interview by the information assurance division head. Interview was awkward since the senior division head was not normally a part of the recruiting process, so she had never conducted an interview before. After the phone interview, it took another three months for the full-time offer to arrive. Things improved a lot in the last five years, but then they went drastically backwards when President Obama removed the hiring vehicle that allowed the New Professional program to operate. Now everyone must apply through USAJOBS, which is a black hole.

Interview Questions

• N/A -- we had a conversation, and there were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for a government position.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (San Diego, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I initially interviewed on a college campus at the completion of my phd. I was asked to a second interview at the SPAWAR center, which included an oral presentation. After giving the presentation, they pawned me off on a newly hired employee for a tour and to go to lunch. Then, they didn't have any interviews scheduled for me! The director of the new professionals program finally called this new hire that got roped into giving me a tour and we met him. He spent 5 minutes on his cell phone to try and get in touch with the people he wanted me to interview with, but no one answered there phone. Needless to say, I was not impressed with this facility. It seems like they have terrible management system, even for government standards. I never heard from them again, and have since accepted a great job at a major research company.

New Professional Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (San Diego, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a very easy interview, that basically assesses your personality and makes sure you're not crazy or weird. Non-technical, so they only ask about job experience, school, etc. The bad part was waiting to hear back... took them almost 2 months to tell me their young professional program was full.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (San Diego, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

My interview was 1:1 at my college campus. I got it at a career fair and he scheduled me last minute for an on-campus interview. There was another employee there for monitoring purposes or something, but he didn't speak and I was given the impression that he wasn't an interviewer. I was asked all typical HR questions, some having to do with my most recent job (retail, completely unrelated field to engineering) but wanted to make sure I answered the behavioral questions tactfully. No technical questions asked, which I've often heard. I interviewed on-site for the same position last year, and was railed with technical questions (didn't get the job). If they decide they want me this time, I believe I will be called for another on-site interview where I take some sort of engineering exam. This is a gov't job that would require security clearance, so there's a strict background check...

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that required to be adapative   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation where you had a problem with one of your employees that you needed to resolve.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SPAWAR Systems Center (Virginia Beach, VA) in June 2009.

Interview

Started the interview with the project leader. There were only a few general questions about technical skills. I was then toured around the small building which held around 10 scattered employees. The dreary environment seemed miserable, and so did the drones who work there. People were working in make shift cubicles, far away from one another. The building and equipment appeared to be old too. The applications people were using seemed specialized and old too. A second interview with someone higher up would have been the next step. Overall a depressing environment, and uninteresting work.