1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Human Resource Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SPX in November 2011.

First, I had a phone interview, which was fairly easy in my opinion. It consisted of basic questions, mostly behavioral and others such as why I chose the college I was attending and my major. Then I met in person with one of the recruiters and had an easy-going conversation about my interest in HR and with SPX (career goals, my strengths and weaknesses, etc). About one week later I was invited to the final round interviews.

The final round interview day was pretty intense. There were 12 candidates for ONLY 2 positions... so it was very competitive. The day is split in two: 6 candidates go for their interviews in the morning and the next 6 come around lunch time. I was in the group that came in later so when I arrived we all had lunch (all 12 interviewees and the 8 interview team members). Next, I was taken into a board room where the entire interview team and 6 of us candidates had to present our SPX tagline. Most of the interviewees introduced their tagline and then explained why they chose it. I however told everyone how I went about creating my tagline, why I chose it, and finally what it was. This is supposed to be fun - do not worry about if your tagline isn't the best. You didn't get a degree in marketing or whatever. You need to make sure to smile, be excited, and to fully explain your tagline. Go through your thought processes and the research you did on the company - this is where you show everyone what you know about SPX.

For the next few hours, I had a series of 4 interviews. Each interview was with two members of upper management. These were very structured and lasted 25 minutes, with 5 minutes of Q&A. The interviewers asked typical behavioral questions and some I had already been asked before in the phone interview. Be ready to tell them why they should pick YOU over the rest of the qualified graduates. Also, there was a quick tour of the building with two of the current members of the program.

After all of this, I was mentally exhausted... and we were sent back to our hotel to regroup and get ready for the social that evening. You are told to dress very casual, but in my opinion, don't go in your chuck tailors. You need to look older and mature so wear something nice, not a t-shirt. We all rode uptown together to Strike City for dinner, drinks, and bowling. SPX had rented out the party room so there were two private lanes and servers for the group. This was very casual, and yes you can get a drink, but don't get carried away and get 3 vodka tonics because you are still trying to make an impression. The food was your usual pub grub and you sit where ever to eat. Make sure to make your rounds and to talk with each member of the interview team. If you are nervous, like I was, try to come up with things to talk about that you can contribute to. I started many conversations with asking people where they had traveled to or if they spoke another language.

Overall, what you want to take away from this is: the behavioral questions they ask you will be different than most companies use. SPX likes to take basic interview questions and put their own spin on it so just take a second and think about what the interviewer is really trying to know from the question.

Finally, it took about 1-2 weeks to hear back from them to see if I got an offer, which I did not.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time that you had to adapt to something beyond your control and describe the steps you took in adapting to the situation.   View Answer
  • Tell me where you see yourself five years from now. What do you hope to accomplish in your career.   View Answer