SPX Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at SPX (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

First I filled a application form then Interview is done in person and general manager interviewed at high level of my background. Then Team lead interviewed me. It was not told how long the duration of interview of each person. Total interview time was about 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Job description had many items listed but they were looking for a person that is highly experience with I/O and state machine in C language programming.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SPX.

Interview

Lasted 1.5 hours with a group of people. I was asked about my work and pay history. Pay was non-negotiable. I was told about the perks available. No information was given about the newly created position, but I was assured my skill set was a good match and will be well orientated in order to perform it.

Financial Rotational Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SPX.

Interview

There were two rounds. Campus interview focused on resume walkthrough and behavioral questions. Office visit with 4 groups of interviewers from different departments with Q&A sessions. The process was intense but organized and laid back. Really give you a chance to get to know the company and culture. First round is about 30 min while office visit including group dinner lasted 6 hours.

Interview Questions

• Situation where you used communication skills. Situations where you persuade people to do things. Teamwork experience.   Answer Question

Industrial Engineer Interview

Interview

It was great. She was very nice over the phone and the interviews were quick and to the point. I think the real key is that they actually want someone with skills and not just a GPA.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SPX.

Interview

campus recruiting - campus interview(first round) - final round on site (including interviews + lunch + dinner)

Interview Questions

• No question was unexpected, the difficult thing is how they asked   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SPX (Elk Grove Village, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

This reviews both the interview experiences I had with SPX Genfare, located in Elk Grove Village, as well as the company hired to recruit their employees, Superior Technical Solutions (STS). I've searched Glassdoor for an STS entry, but was unable to find one. STS should reviewed as well since they are hired to represent SPX. Never in my career have I had such a negative experience with a company as well as a recruitment firm. Unless you need a life boat between jobs, are in a bad situation, or face imminent layoff, avoid both of these firms. I feel a moral obligation to inform people about this company and the recruitment firm. In my opinion, the recruitment firm is bottom of the barrel. In the past, I've worked with other recruitment firms and companies which are more professional and without any issues. The recruiter seemed to like to play mind games. He made manipulative statements, such as how SPX is really "going to bat," "I'd better take the position if," and implying I have financial issues. I don't. One of my colleagues had some good insight regarding his tactics: "...based on what the recruiter has said, I'd agree that he's playing mind games. In other words, trying to make you feel bad, so that you'll reduce your desired salary amount to make it more likely that you'll get an acceptable offer so that he gets his money, etc..." I heard about the opening through a colleague. SPX is using a niche RTOS which I currently use and have many years experience with. I had a look at the opening and applied from one of the job websites. A few days later I received a call from the recruitment firm (STS) describing the opening in more detail. It sounded like an interesting application and I decided to pursue it. The 1st step was to set-up a phone interview. SPX blew off the initial phone interview and didn't apologize or provide any reason. Against one of my colleagues advice, I went ahead and set-up a 2nd phone interview. The phone interview was with the Director of Software Engineering. The questions were pretty typical, asked about my background and involvement with the particular RTOS, and nothing too technical. I was invited to an on-site interview. In general it was professional and they seemed to understand the technology. I was told it will be a panel interview and assured I wouldn't be grilled. The on-site interview wasn't very good. I spoke with the Director of Software Engineering and a few engineers. The questions weren't difficult. I found it humorous that in one case, one engineer asked me a question, and another answered it! One interviewer spent most of the time complaining about the company and its lack of development process. Also, I kept asking about what the working environment was like (i.e. cubicals, tools, etc..), but never got a straight answer. One clue was that there was only one more phone extension available at the facility and he wasn't sure if he or someone else would get it. SPX probably shouldn't have had that individual as part of the interview process and listening to the complaints was disturbing. In general, he's description sounded like a lot of people running around with their heads cut-off and a pretty chaotic situation. After discussing this with one of my colleagues, he had some good insight: "..(good) managers should have a clue about how their reports feel about their job/employer. If you knew somebody didn't like their job/employer, you wouldn't line them up to help with interviews! Clearly SPX has no clue about this guy. In other words, they've lost (or never had) their connection to their employees!.." The next step was another on-site interview with the Director of HR, required and part of the process. Once again, against advice from my colleagues, I went ahead with the interview. I should have stopped this right then and listened to my colleagues, but I was hoping the company would redeem itself at some point. This person was very nice and professional, and invited me to send any further questions I may have regarding the benefits. I collected a set of questions, and sent them to him as well as the recruiter (to keep him in the loop). It was somewhat difficult to get specific benefit costing answers from the HR department. SPX decided to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult or unexpected. I expected more "behavioral" type questions from the Director of HR, but there were none.   Answer Question

Although SPX did make me a substantial offer, most of the offer was based on a lateral move. The residual amount was a pretty typical offer for changing employers. However, I declined the offer primarily based on my negative experiences during the interview process and the initial on-site. I carefully reviewed the information I had, and concluded that this would be an unstable and chaotic development environment. After I declined the offer, the recruiter sent me a very nasty and unprofessional message. He banned me from any further involvement with his firm (no loss), told me "...I'm a dime a dozen...," and forbid any further contact to SPX. Of course, I took the liberty of forwarding that message to the Director of HR at SPX. I felt he should be informed of the kind of person and firm that is representing SPX. Also, I forwarded the recruiter's message to other managers and colleagues I know who are currently looking to fill openings or are in the job market. The recruiter needs to realize that an offer is an *offer* for employment and does *not* constitute an employment contract or guarantee acceptance. Additionally, SPX *chose* to make the offer. I wonder if the recruiter had misled his client into believing that the offer would be accepted. Furthermore, after showing the message to another colleague, he made an insightful statement: "...I've never heard or seen anything like this in a professional environment in my life. This, together with his tone during negotiations indicates a deeply troubled and immature personality. You did well to stay away from these people if he is representative of the quality of person they engage. Really sorry you, or anyone, should be exposed to something like this..."

Automotive Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SPX.

Interview

Panel Interview

Interview Questions

• Explain how you got into trouble and how you got out of it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Assembly Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goldsboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SPX (Goldsboro, NC) in July 2013.

Interview

It was a two to three member panel. They reviewed my resume and qualifications. The HR lady walked out abruptly. They talked about the company and some of the benefits there...

Interview Questions

• How many 16th in one inch?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

This was a while back so I'm not sure if I remember all the details, so I have interviewed with them (SPX) on campus, If I remember correctly the interview was for less than 45 minutes. My advise; be well prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Since this was a long time ago, I don't really remember, so I don't want to put something that's not very accurate.   Answer Question

Financial Rotational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SPX (Charlotte, NC) in October 2012.

Interview

On campus interview with HR and finance manager. If one passes, it moves on a on-site interview at the corporate office in Charlotte. It is a whole day process including multiple interviews through the day and a group outing event in the evening. It is a relatively efficient process.

Interview Questions

• Discribe a situation where you didn't achieve your goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is a standard package offered to graduates; no negotiation is available. SPX offers a competitive package in this case.