SRA International

84 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Development Interview

Development

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SRA International in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviews were held at a local hotel. They DID NOT stay on time and caused big delays. The interviews were conducted in a 20 X 20 room with 2-3 others being interviewed at the same time by different people. One could hear the same same questions being asked all around the room at a slight delay from each other. This caused a lot of confusion and made it extremely hard to concentrate on what was being asked! The interviewer was hostile and many of the questions were clearly made up for the sole purpose of "stump the chump". This was the WORST interview I have ever been a part of and fail to see any logic in what SRA gained from conducting such a fiasco!

Interview Question – What are the differences in computer codes?   View Answer

Technical Writer IV Interview

Technical Writer IV

The process took 3 months - interviewed at SRA International in December 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied for a postion as Business Analyst (which unknown to me had the decription for Tech Writer IV attached to it -- which was the reason I applied). HR person I spoke with gave no indiction that job title and description didn't match when I did the 2 initial screening interviews. Two weeks later I had a two 1:1 interviews on the same day.. My initial interviewer has 30 min. late -- she forgot she had an interview at 9am. She opened the interview by stating" I don't see anything in your resume that would make me want to hire you." She got even more rude from there. Fortunately-- for some odd reason -- I'd printed out the job description and began referring to it in my rebuttal. At this point she let me know that it' was the wrong description for the advertised job title. Oh but anyway they had an opening for a Tech Writer IV she'd consider me for. The whole "interview" took 15 min. She then passed me on to the office VP who spent 30 minutes grilling me about hypothetical ethicial situations and how I'd handle them. Neither of my interviewrs were friendly or terribly polite.

The HR person called the next day to ask when I'd be available -- I named a date after my current contract would end. She said she'd be back in touch. 3 days later I got a verbal offer from HR -- but no salary, no job description, just when can you start. Over the next 2 months I repeatedly asked them for asked for pay and job specifics (in writing), and was met with either silence or repeated requests for when can you start, can you start sooner ('we're desperate, we have so much work", etc). During this entire time I was also looking / interviewing for other positions as the SRA job seemed less than real.

Finally 3 months into the process I received the verbal salary offer, which I accepted, with an emailed written offer the next day. Yes I know, unwise move, but I was contracting and my contract was ending, and It was double the houraly rate of another pending offer.. I will say the hourly rate was excellent as I was coming on as a full-time contract employee at a high level. I had worked for SRA several years previously when my company was acquired by them. I was with SRA for a little over a year before they laid off nearly everyone from my old company who wasn't in the DC area.(myself included). I decided to apply again as the money and benefits had been excellent. The position was in a non-DC office and the office itself was nearly empty. I learned from the receptionist on my way ou of the initial interviewt that they had just laid off nearly the entire staff when a contract ended a month before, but they were gearing up for new contracts in late spring.

As the position offered was a full-time contract for several months, extending through end of summer 2011, I went into the position knowing it would end.

Please see my company review for my brief experience at SRA round 2,and why no amount of money would ever make me go back.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, although an excellent hourly rate. Actual offer not put into writing until the last minute, after I had accepted the position -- although it had been made verbally.

NOC Engineer Interview

NOC Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SRA International in December 2010.

Interview Details – Network troubleshooting scenario from Layer 1 to Layer 4.

Interview Question – Explain TCP/IP 3-Way Handshaking.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Salary was above market.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SRA International in June 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a mid-level manager at the internal "career fair." A simple, "Do you know X technology?" type of interview. That progressed me to a phone interview that was slightly more technical, which consisted of, "How would you do Y in X technology?" Again, pretty simple. Then I went up to interview with the team manager and a developer. 3 hours of esoteric, deep, and likely unrelated-to-the-job technical questions, I was sent on my way. After 2 weeks of waiting, a simple email saying that they would not be able to use me in the position was sent. No reason as to if I lacked technical knowledge, experience, or social skills.

Interview Question – Write an efficient method to reverse a string.   View Answer

Data Architect Interview

Data Architect
Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SRA International in August 2008.

Interview Details – consisted of internal and customer interview

Interview Question – What can you do for me?   Answer Question

Cyber Security Analyst Interview

Cyber Security Analyst
Altoona, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at SRA International in September 2009.

Interview Details – It only went as far as one interview because that was enough for me to know I wouldn't want to work with the interviewer as my program manager. He was late to the interview and seemed very rushed and unprepared. The interview questions were extremely technical in nature and he fired them off in rapid succession so I could hardly get a word in edgewise. Come prepared to know various port numbers and their related services/protocols. Also make sure to have answers to general questions about how buffer overflows, SQL injections, and XSS attacks work. Also know how to explain the three way handshake.

Interview Questions

• I will name a port number an you name the corresponding service/protocol   View Answer
  • You have gained access to a Web server with a SQL backend. What SQL command could be used to gain access to the SQL database's underlying Operating System?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – The interviewer would have been either my boss or my bosses boss. He did not seem personable or courteous. I wasn't even told what position I was interviewing for until the end of the interview when he finally asked me if I had any questions.

Technical Lead Interview

Technical Lead

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SRA International in July 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a very large government agency that SRA had a contract with. First contact was a phone screen and then a two hour interview. The process was formal on their end but very lacking on mine. No information was given to me to prepare for the interview, nor after the interview was any status relayed. I did find out on my own how it went and was very positive. However, I think you can tell a lot from the hiring process, and being in limbo with no communication is not for me and so I am thankful the position did not work out.

Interview Question – Please describe your background with this technology.   Answer Question

Server Administrator Interview

Server Administrator
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at SRA International in January 2013.

Interview Details – Was given an on-site interview with the project leader and his tech lead. It was a very friendly session and I was not made to feel like I was being grilled.

Proposal Coordinator Interview

Proposal Coordinator
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SRA International in August 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through Indeed.com about 7-10 days later I received a follow-up email from the HR rep. The email had 5 follow-up questions (e.g. desired salary, desired commute distance/time, etc) which I answered & got an email back asking when would be a good day & time for a phone interview with them. My phone interview with HR was very brief (about 10-15 mins) where the HR rep explained the position to me a bit more & then set up a day & time for me to come in for an in-person interview. When I arrived at the office for my in-person interview I was pleasantly surprised by how big the HQ campus was (they offer free parking!) & how friendly everyone was. At HQ, everyone gets a personal office but if you work in the Arlington location which they just remodeled then everyone has a cubical office. My interview started off with meeting 2 higher-up. They spent our time telling me about the company & the organizational structure of the company. They asked a few questions about me but this session was more of a conversation then being grilled with questions. After 30 mins with them, I was interviewed by the people who would be my possible manager & colleagues. They were a very jovial bunch, who asked some behavioral & technical questions. There technique was to ask questions about specific skills & expertise that I my have -- I found out towards the end of the session why they went about asking things the way they did. Their previous employee lacked in the areas they were grilling me on so they wanted to make sure I was fully capable of doing the job & not just making fluff about my expertise. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone pushed you out of your chair & said, "Get out of the way. I can do this better & faster than you." How would you handle a situation like this, especially if it was a VP of the company?   View Answer

Help Desk Specialist Interview

Help Desk Specialist
Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SRA International in September 2013.

Interview Details – The person who interviewed me definitely knew their stuff and I was able to get everything right. The perosn was very competent, and they were very friendly. We had a good time.

Interview Question – If we offered you the job tomorrow, would you immediately accept it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take full advantage of the benefits.

Interviews for Top Jobs at SRA International

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SRA International interview questions and advice. All 84 interview reviews posted anonymously by SRA International employees and interview candidates.