STA Travel

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service

I applied online and interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview Details – Straight Forward. Applied Online, and received the call asking for me to come in for a interview shortly there after. Perfect situation for a first job. Great company to learn quality of work.

Interview Question – What qualities can you bring to the team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Brand Ambassador Interview

Brand Ambassador

I applied in-person and interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview Details – Applied for position in person (turning in resume)
Got a call for an interview
Interview- job offer on the spot

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. The typical interview Qs.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview Details – Applied for job via website, got a call within a few days asking if I was free for an interview. Went for a 1 on 1 interview with a Regional Sales Manager (RSM) where I was asked stock standard interview questions with some travel stuff thrown in. High emphasis on sales experience and ability and the desire to hit and exceed sales goals.

A week later was called and notified that I'd been successful, then attended a three day in-store training experience learning the basics of the industry and meeting the people I'd be working with. Then two weeks of training at the head office in Melbourne, met some other staff, drank some free beer, all in all a very good experience.

After training, you end up back in store on a provisional basis for three months at which time you should be able to do the vast majority of tasks involved in the job unsupervised.

Interview Question – What Motivates You?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, the salary is what it is and any form of negotiation will bet met with a standard company line that 'you have unlimited potential for earning with your commission'

Very Difficult Interview

Travel Advisor Interview

Travel Advisor
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at STA Travel in July 2010.

Interview Details – Stage 1: Applied Online
Stage 2; Telephone Interview from STA Travel HR Head Office, 5-10 minutes. I was asked questions like; 'Have you been into one of our retail stores before?' 'Have you visited our website?' 'What do you perceive to be the role of a Travel Adviser?'
Stage 3; Assessment Centre Day, STA Travel Head Office. Consisted of 11 interviewees and 5 male interviewers, and we were given a series of exercises while seated around a large table.
- Each interviewee had to give a presentation on themselves, on any topic - excluding travel.
- Interviewees were split into groups of 3/4 and had to do a 'deserted island exercise' in which we all had to come to the decision whether to stay or go on the island, as a group.
- Each interviewee was given a piece of plasticine and told to make something from it and sell it to the group.
The group exercises were very intimidating and intense! The STA interviewers really scruitinised us, in a way which made me feel humiliated.
At the end of the morning, we were told to come back in 20 minutes after the interviewers had made their decision as to who would make it through to the next round.
We found an envelope on our place at the table, with an impersonal letter inside, telling us whether or not we were successful, like a game show elimination.
Those successful made it through to a one on one interview with HR.

This company is obviously after extroverted sales people, but I felt that the way they ran the interview was very unprofessional. I was very disappointed that I wasted 3 hours of my morning, and would never want to work for STA Travel.

Interview Question – 'Make something out of a piece of plasticine and sell it to the group, including us - the interviewers'   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for STA Travel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STA Travel interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by STA Travel employees and interview candidates.