SUNY Albany

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Work Study Student Interview

Albany, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at SUNY Albany.

Interview Details – I walked in looking for a job, was asked a few questions and was offered the job right then.

Interview Question – Asked if I had good handwriting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SUNY Albany in January 2010.

Interview Details – Statement of purpose and graduate applications has to be completed. They did not take long to reply after the deadline. They were very helpful in arranging for the interview.

Interview Question – Lots of quesitons about background. Not a lot of technical or challenging questions. It was more about what you actually want and who you want to work with.   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Professor
Albany, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SUNY Albany.

Interview Details – strange experience--they did not ask any job related questions

Senior Programmer/Analyst Interview

Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SUNY Albany.

Interview Details – The job description was vague because the hiring manager was confused and ignorant of what the department needed.

Interview Question – None - the search committees were pleasant and easy to speak with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None - I was lied to about this being a permanent job, which it was not. Only after starting work was I again lied to and told it was permanent, but I needed to sign a term contract anyway. Beware of lying hiring managers. They are even worse than I could possibly describe.

Lead Programmer/Analyst (SL-3) Interview

Lead Programmer/Analyst (SL-3)
Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SUNY Albany in April 2008.

Interview Details – You will be contacted by phone or email. Generally it is a two-step process of initial interviews and then a pared down list of finalists. All interviews are done based on a hiring committee with different people from around campus. Some people on the committee will not have a lot of familiarity of the position you may be applying for, so personality does account for a lot in the interview. It is a long process because of the gathering of committee members from across campus can be hard to schedule, so do not expect this to be a fast hiring.

Interview Question – Expect to be asked about your people skills, especially in dealing with difficult clients. Also expect to be asked about Mac familiarity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation in general. Do not expect it; do expect to have any offer you make be turned down.

Resident Assistant Interview

Albany, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at SUNY Albany in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple and straight forward. Had a group interview and then a personal interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N?A

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant
Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SUNY Albany in August 2009.

Interview Details – I spoke with a person who made the hiring decision and based on my qualifications I was hired. I don't think the in-person "interview" was really that serious. It was more of an academic advisement situation. I assume the professors just checked out my resume and decided it based on that alone. I'm not sure any interview is actually required for a teaching assistant position. Those positions are relatively straight forward.

Interview Question – Have you done this before?   View Answer

Asst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SUNY Albany.

Interview Details – Brief, succinct to the point of being TA. Got the job on the spot

Interview Question – What would you like to get out of this class   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated hours

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SUNY Albany in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the department that needed the research assistant to schedule a time for the interview. The whole process took 1 day, I first me with one manager who did the screening interview and then I was interviewed by his supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Discuss some of your previous experiences in data analysis, item analysis, that you think qualify you for this specific position?   View Answer
  • What specific courses have you taken in statistics?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SUNY Albany? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUNY Albany interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by SUNY Albany employees and interview candidates.