SUNY Downstate Medical Center

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

Senior Research Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

I received a call from Human Resources 6.5 months ago stating my start date would be the following Monday morning. Later that day I received an e-mail from Human Resources stating "We will not be able to use Monday as an official start date for you. I will notify you when the Research Foundation will be able to appoint you to the payroll." I have been informed that there is a problem regarding the grant for my position. Human Resources suggested that I contact the department. The department suggested I contact Human Resources.

Former Employee Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

It was very simple and straightforward. I did not actually apply for the position; management knew me outside of work already and the interview was more of a formality. I was a very young person and they asked me basic questions about school and I was informed about my day-to-day responsibilities.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Volunteer work, good GRE scores

Manager Interview

All involved were friendly, forthcoming and follow through was prompt. Communication was seamless and all my questions were answered within 24 hours no matter what the question was regarding. All managers involved were professional and courteous and all HR representative were friendly and well informed. Good experience over all for me.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All questions asked were just based on them learning about your experience and what you would bring to the table.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in April 2011.

Met with the department chief who interviewed me and gave me a tour of the department where I met the staff.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be willing to attain certifications relevant to the position in the near future?   View Answer
    No negotiation. An offer was made and I accepted.

Medical Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in November 2010.

One interviewer grill you for about a hour.

Interview Questions
    • Why downstate and not another very similar school?   Answer Question
    • It looks like you are into research, if so why come to downstate?   Answer Question

Senior Staff Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in October 2010.

The hiring process was very long..from the time I was interviewed until actual hire took almost one year. The interview process entailed: initial interview with senior administrator of the department, chief of service, chairman of department, group interview with division during committee meeting

Interview Questions
    • what did I know about live kidney donation and transplantation   View Answer

Physician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in June 2010.

around 2010 - disorganized; willing to pay above market rate but are not looking for leaders; not a center of progress or innovation; they are looking for bodies to bill medicaid.

Not willing to provide the resources to build a modern program.
    No leadership nor vision @ CEO level or anywhere below.

Medical Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in February 2009.

One interview and they look at rest of application as a whole. Interview obviously depends on interviewer and can vary widely. I had chief of surgery as interviewer and he was rough, asked a lot of difficult questions. Interview has huge weight. The rest of the interview day was good. I heard some people had very easy interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked why i took a vacation when I could have worked or did volunteer service. Tough to answer since he was the type of person who was a workaholic.   Answer Question

Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in February 2008.

1:1 interview with Program Director and Associate DIrector. Standard questions: Why our program?, What are your plans? Why are you the right candidate?