SUNY

SUNY Interview Questions

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Purchase, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Purchase, NY

I applied online – interviewed at SUNY in January 2014.

Submit resume, cover letter and references into recruiting software system
    1. Search Committee phone interview
    2. second interview with search committee again, Vice President and Dean, Chief Librarian and reporting supervisor

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a student with demanding parents?   Answer Question

salary

Staff 'Programmer/Analyst' Interview - SUNY-ESF Campus Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SUNY in August 2013.

I found the position on GlassDoor ('Programmer/Analyst' was a catch-all category for technology-related staff positions), applied, and was contacted for an interview two weeks later! I was startled by the speed at which the interview process moved, as my experience with academia has been that it is usually a snail's pace.

They were polite and clear about what the interview would entail. It was a committee interview with four people, including staff from the unit and staff that the position would be likely to work with a lot.

At the interview, I was told up-front the nature of the position--it was a newly-created position, and they were still feeling out what it would be likely to entail. They expected to learn more from their interview candidates, and there was a possibility of pulling the position in order to restructure if they found that their expectations were too far off-base.

The questions were excellent--fundamentally along the lines of the pat interview questions you're always told to practice, but structured so that they were useful and relevant to the specific position. Questions such as 'What accomplishment are you proudest of?' and 'How would you begin developing a system and workflow for the core responsibilities of this position?' Rather than speaking directly about my resume, we talked about the likely requirements of the position and how I could match them with my skills and experience, including my experience with metadata schemas and what I could see the position would require based on the information they gave me, content management systems, and my comfort with coding and learning new programming languages and software.

I was very pleased with the interview, and came away with a sense that I had learned as much about them and what they were looking for as they had about me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would go about organizing the information system that this position will require.   Answer Question
    I was offered the top amount in the salary range the position was posted for, and felt comfortable with the offer without negotiation.

Software Development Interview

searching for a software development position

Student Assistant (Tutor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SUNY in September 2012.

I became aware of the position from classmates who had worked in the same position. The interview/hiring process was pretty simple. I was asked what courses I intended to tutor. I had to bring a transcript as proof of having competency on those subjects.

Interview Questions
    • What is the main difficulty that students, who seek tutoring, have with the courses?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SUNY in May 2008.

I applied online through the SUNY Delhi website, included CV and cover letter. VERY important to make it apparent as to how you will benefit the college as well as what you will take on to lessen the load of current employees. While a resume' may document your experience, those of you taking a new adventure into academia need to do some research and become comfortable with the creation of a Curriculum Vitae. These include papers written, presentations, areas of expertise, assocation memberships; not limitedd to one page at all.

After I applied, the wait was at least 6+weeks; while this job may be #1 in your head, the academic search committee moves much slower than the outside world. Remember that they are still teaching classes, etc while you are waiting for a response. I received an email to schedule a phone interview; their system was antiquated and used a speakerphone for the interview, so back and forth communication was clunky. I has three people in the room interviewing me. Basic questions.

I then received an email to set up a campus visit and interview. Time scheduled was not near enough and portions were rushed. I was given a FULL campus tour and when in dress clothes in the summer, it made for a worn appearance later during my sample lecture. Lunch was scheduled and the entire department was present; though I was starving, I couldn't eat because I was being asked difficult questions that needed to be treated professionally.

After lunch, I lectured and was cut off time-wise because they had run late on other parts of the interview. I was then 1:1 interviewed by the Division Dean, Human Resources, and the Provost. It was a whirlwind and exhausting because these were true interviews and not just chats.

The focus was what could I bring to SUNY Delhi, what was special about me, how would I make my mark on campus and professsionally. You are taking on a workload to ease their burden. You must love committee work and advising students. You are also very excited to take on more hours than the typical professor will somewhere else.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel coming into an institution that looks to hire dynamic people ready to bring their background, education, and experience into play but the culture is full of colleagues resistant to change?   View Answer
    • What type of changes would you like to introduce?   View Answer
    I was given a range salary wise. I was staunch on my number but I think if I went over their highest number, I may have been refused. They were pretty set on the range. STATE SCHOOL with a STATE BUDGET!