SUNY Potsdam

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Manager Interview

Data Manager
Potsdam, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at SUNY Potsdam in December 2009.

Interview Details – Position was advertised through campus email. I sent in resume, application, and cover letter, along with three references. I had two phone interviews: an introductory one, and a more detailed one. Then I was invited for the face-to-face interview with nearly all the staff of this one department. It was a good mix of male/female of varying ages and length of service, and they took turns with the usual questions. Very laid-back group, with a casual attitude toward dress and punctuality. It was expected that employees worked their full time by making it up if they came in late or left early, which was very mature of management.

Interview Question – How would I prioritize the workload based on the shifting deadlines of different projects?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary was fixed.

Marketing and Education Outreach Coordinator Interview

Marketing and Education Outreach Coordinator
Potsdam, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SUNY Potsdam in May 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted an application through school's website and received initial communication within approx 1 week. Applied for two positions so my first interview was for both of them (not recommended). Phone interview with director, box office manager, production manager, and girl who had the job i was applying for.

Some of the questions they asked:
1. Tell us about yourself and why you are qualified for this position
2. What are some of the tools you use to stay organized
3. Tell us about your experience managing a staff
4. Tell us about your experience with educational programming
5. Why do you want to move here

Second phone interview came 1-2 weeks later as I had been narrowed down to one of the two jobs I had originally applied for. Met with director, girl in my position and someone from the foundation funding the position. Most of the questions were the same.

Third interview came a week after that. This was in person in Potsdam and they offered to cover travel expenses up to $1,000. No flexibility on date and time, but I decided to make it work since they were reimbursing. In person interview was very pleasant. Let me meet with HR to discuss benefits package (which was very nice I might add). Were going to give me a tour of campus and town were it not for inclement weather. Scheduled time for me to have coffee with the girl in the position currently to ask any questions I might have and were also willing to take me out to dinner afterwards. Met with director, girl in current position, 2 fine arts faculty members and the dean of the school of music. Biggest part of that interview was a writing exercise. Wanted me to take an upcoming show, read up on it, write a press release and then come up with marketing and educational programming ideas. Had 45 minutes to do this.

Overall a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Writing exercise. Write press release for upcoming show, generate marketing and educational programming ideas   Answer Question
  • What do you think some of the biggest challenges facing arts organizations are today?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at SUNY Potsdam in March 2012.

Interview Details – two skype interviews before coming to campus

Interview Questions

• Describe an problematic experience with a student that you were able to resolve. Describe one that you weren't able to fix.   Answer Question
  • What benefits do you see in teaching ____ at a liberal arts college?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SUNY Potsdam? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUNY Potsdam interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by SUNY Potsdam employees and interview candidates.