SUNY at New Paltz Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.8

Assistant Professor, Education Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Paltz, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SUNY at New Paltz (New Paltz, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The entire process took about 5 months. Phone interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus. I rated the interview process as average in difficult simply because an all day interview on campus presenting research and lecturing is very tiring.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard for an academic job. Met with the dean, did a research presentation and a teaching demonstration. Committee questions mostly centered around my university teaching experience. Found out about a month after the campus interview that the University did not have the budget secured to hire another professor.   Answer Question

Night Host Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz in August 2013.

Interview

An application with some questions and one-on-one interview with the Residence Hall's CDA. For the application, you give your basic information, your class schedule/availability, and answer 5-10 questions about your skills and your past work experience.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions like strengths and weaknesses. A question about your definition of "a community."   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Paltz, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz (New Paltz, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Sent application, had 1 hour phone interview with search committee, then had campus visit and interview. For campus visit, I had many interviews with administrators and members of the search committee, gave a presentation about my research, and then had a group interview with the entire search committee.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had difficulties with your teaching.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was offered 50K, asked for 52K, got 51K

Teaching Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Paltz, NY

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz (New Paltz, NY) in February 2009.

Interview

It took the department a really long time between initial contact and on-campus interview. So long, in fact, that I had assumed they were no longer interested. The administrative part of the interview was a breeze; chitchat with the dean, a few typical questions by the provost (although they've just hired a new one so it may be different for you.) Teaching demonstration. The students seemed generally respectful; a small handful had questions and interacted in the discussion, and there were some students that barely had their eyes open. There was a little bit of digital device activity going on as well. The rest of the interview was the usual questions... no shockers. As for the atmosphere of the department, I found it a little shockingly conservative. I am also sure they would not use that term to define themselves. It also took them a long time to send out the rejection letter. I was relieved. (P.S. I am picking "easy" instead of "very easy" for the interview difficulty because there is always some difficulty and artificiality in coming up with a teaching demo.)

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? What is an example of your "good teaching"?   Answer Question