SUNY at New Paltz

SUNY at New Paltz Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at SUNY at New Paltz

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz.

The hiring process required that I submit my resume online and after 2 weeks I received an email asking to come in for an interview. My interview was taken by 3 different people at the same time, in the same room. I was first asked about myself: goals and ambitions, then they talked about their department and how they fit into the university. I was asked about my skills, strengths and weaknesses. The interview was rigorous but not very hard. Once you open up and make it a very conversation based interaction, the questions and answers just flow.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked, what kind of problems do you think we face here at the department?   View Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Paltz, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz in February 2011.

Sent application, had 1 hour phone interview with search committee, then had campus visit and interview. For campus visit, I had many interviews with administrators and members of the search committee, gave a presentation about my research, and then had a group interview with the entire search committee.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you had difficulties with your teaching.   Answer Question
    Was offered 50K, asked for 52K, got 51K

Teaching Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Paltz, NY

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SUNY at New Paltz in February 2009.

It took the department a really long time between initial contact and on-campus interview. So long, in fact, that I had assumed they were no longer interested. The administrative part of the interview was a breeze; chitchat with the dean, a few typical questions by the provost (although they've just hired a new one so it may be different for you.) Teaching demonstration. The students seemed generally respectful; a small handful had questions and interacted in the discussion, and there were some students that barely had their eyes open. There was a little bit of digital device activity going on as well. The rest of the interview was the usual questions... no shockers. As for the atmosphere of the department, I found it a little shockingly conservative. I am also sure they would not use that term to define themselves. It also took them a long time to send out the rejection letter. I was relieved. (P.S. I am picking "easy" instead of "very easy" for the interview difficulty because there is always some difficulty and artificiality in coming up with a teaching demo.)

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you? What is an example of your "good teaching"?   Answer Question