SUPERVALU Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

2.8

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Brief phone screen then on site with hiring manager

SSG ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU.

Informational interview, submit resume and cover-letter, receive request to interview, interviewed with manager and lead, open-office business casual, waited for a response, offer phone call followed up with offer letter, negotiate more PTO

Interview Questions
    • What do you and others perceive your weakness to be?   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

I applied through other source – interviewed at SUPERVALU in August 2013.

Phone interview. Initial face to face interview. Then final panel interview. No questions were hard to answer, Be confident, be yourself, and explain how you can help them. Very understanding people.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly simple. You obviously need experience to apply for a position like the one I applied for. Be yourself and youll be alright.   Answer Question
    Very easy going. Made me feel like I was at home.

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU.

You will be called in for an interview if your skills match what they are looking for. The catch is that you will be called a Supplmental Worker. What this really meas is, if you screw up, and don't make you percentage, you will be let go.

The scary thing is, when you get the to the interview stage, it's with about eight people.

Interview Questions
    • There really isn't a difficult question. You just need to remain calm under presure, and be as honest as poosible.   Answer Question
    No negotiating. they start everyone at the same pay.

Director Marketing Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in February 2013.

SUPERVALU uses SBO format for most interviews. Situation, Behavior and Outcome. Come prepared with some good examples that demonstrate what YOU did in a challenging situation, what you thought, how you handled difficult people, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are all situation/behavior based. Probably the most difficult ones are when you are expecting to tell about something good that you've accomplished, and instead, they ask to tell you about something that you didn't do so well.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary and overall compensation package.

Director of Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in January 2013.

Typically positions are posted internally first. If the candidate pool is limited internally after a week or two, then the positions are also posted externally. Recruiters will screen candidates for relevant experience and cultural fit. Resume are shared with hiring manager. Selected candidates are then brought in for a 1 to 1 1/2 hour interview. Candidate may have more than one interview w/ different parties during the same visit. Candidate may need to come back for second interviews. Right before I left we also started adding online assessments to the process. Director level & up are required to go through a 1 1/2 day "mock" work scenario assessment hosted by an independently 3rd party before they can be made an offer. Process typically takes 6 weeks, but can vary dramatically depending on multiple factors.

Interview Questions
    • SUPERVALU does behavioral interviewing. Plan to bring real-life work examples of how you demonstrated customer service, made critical decisions, how you handled urgent priorities, and how you showed leadership.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in January 2013.

Applied online and received an email the next day for a phone screen. Passed the phone screen and got another email from a different recruiter for an in person interview. Recruiter sent me a list of behavioral questions to prepare for and a more detailed job description.

In person interview was with a manager and director. Interviewers were on time and polite. Mostly behavioral interview questions were asked. Was told at the conclusion of the interview that the position was on hold and they gave me a date that a decision might be made. Followed up 2 weeks later with a voice mail to the recruiter. Received a rejection email the next day.

Department Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SUPERVALU.

HR Contacted me to schedule interview. E-mailed me the behavioral "competencies" and told me to study. Interviewed with 2 groups of 2 for about an hour and a half. Each group asked me 4 questions, one for each "competency". Didn't talk about qualifications or anything, strictly behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you gave someone the wrong information?

When were you faced with a problem or crisis that was not what it originally seemed?
        Answer Question

Business Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in June 2012.

Having made the transition from a temporary employee to a full-time employee, the interview process was somewat laid out. Current management, will assit with resume reviews and conduct mock interviews if you request it.

If you are a new hire, the interview format will follow the SBO type of interview, first you will walk through your resume with your interviewer, then you will be asked a series of SBO questions. Many interviewers are looking for in-depth answers, not just an overview. In this instance, it is better to be more detailed than less, however, don't over load them with stories.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question was how to phrase unpleasant working situations which had challenged me the most without bashing a former manager / employer.   Answer Question
    In this position there wasn't any negotiation, as I knew exactly what the salary was set at prior to applying.

Business Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied in-person – interviewed at SUPERVALU in August 2011.

I started as a temporary employee through ProStaff, but being hired on full-time was a meeting with the category Director and telling him about my skills. I assume he also talked to my managers as a temporary employee.

Interview Questions
    • As I had been a temporary employee, most of the questions revolved around my work as a temp and the use of internal systems.   Answer Question