SUPERVALU Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.8

Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at SUPERVALU.

Interview

They use an SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) style interview. They will give you a list of competencies that are appropriate for the level of job you are seeking. (Make Sound Decisions, Act Strategically, Think Creatively, Manage Execution, Meet Customer Needs, etc). Then you need to give an example that fits the question they ask about that competency. Example: Meet Customer Needs - Tell me about a time that you had to deal with an unhappy customer. Then you need to tell them what the situation was - what made the customer unhappy. What was your behavior or in other words what did you do to calm the customer and correct the situation. Last what was the outcome - was the customer happy, etc.

Negotiation

I did try but there was no negotiations. The offer was the offer.

IB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU (Hopkins, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Situational behavior interviewing, explain an example of a time "blank" happened. Interviewed with Senior Merchandisers mostly. Did two rounds of group interview, 4 people and then 4 people. Started out pretty formal and then by end we got more casual and relaxed conversation. Rescheduling is almost impossible as getting about 8 or so busy employees schedules together is difficult. Try to not have to change date/time.

Interview Questions

• Situation at work that you worked with someone difficult to get along with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but I did choose this position over another company.

Buyer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SUPERVALU in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then had a quick phone interview with a low-level HR rep. She then set up an interview with a couple other buyers. They asked 4 behavioral based questions and then that was it. They had me come back for another round, this time with 4 people. I'm guessing SuperValu requires them to attend the interview because they just read the questions off a sheet of paper and it is clear that they have no interest in being there. All in all, they seemed like a decent company to work for. I had a few other offers on the table so it was my fault for not preparing properly. The people I interviewed with just didn't seem too excited about their jobs and the job itself didn't seem too challenging.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you about a time you had given someone bad information.   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Interview

Brief phone screen then on site with hiring manager

IT Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SUPERVALU (Boise, ID) in September 2013.

Interview

Straightforward, not too many questions. Mostly based off your resume. They require references that they will contact, a show of experience, and sometimes have you do a computer or paper test to show your computer competency.

Interview Questions

• They ask you about your work experience and how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

SSG ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

Informational interview, submit resume and cover-letter, receive request to interview, interviewed with manager and lead, open-office business casual, waited for a response, offer phone call followed up with offer letter, negotiate more PTO

Interview Questions

• What do you and others perceive your weakness to be?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at SUPERVALU (Green Bay, WI) in August 2013.

Interview

Phone interview. Initial face to face interview. Then final panel interview. No questions were hard to answer, Be confident, be yourself, and explain how you can help them. Very understanding people.

Interview Questions

• Questions were fairly simple. You obviously need experience to apply for a position like the one I applied for. Be yourself and youll be alright.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy going. Made me feel like I was at home.

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU (Kenosha, WI).

Interview

You will be called in for an interview if your skills match what they are looking for. The catch is that you will be called a Supplmental Worker. What this really meas is, if you screw up, and don't make you percentage, you will be let go. The scary thing is, when you get the to the interview stage, it's with about eight people.

Interview Questions

• There really isn't a difficult question. You just need to remain calm under presure, and be as honest as poosible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating. they start everyone at the same pay.

Director Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in February 2013.

Interview

SUPERVALU uses SBO format for most interviews. Situation, Behavior and Outcome. Come prepared with some good examples that demonstrate what YOU did in a challenging situation, what you thought, how you handled difficult people, etc.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are all situation/behavior based. Probably the most difficult ones are when you are expecting to tell about something good that you've accomplished, and instead, they ask to tell you about something that you didn't do so well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary and overall compensation package.

Director of Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU (Eden Prairie, MN) in January 2013.

Interview

Typically positions are posted internally first. If the candidate pool is limited internally after a week or two, then the positions are also posted externally. Recruiters will screen candidates for relevant experience and cultural fit. Resume are shared with hiring manager. Selected candidates are then brought in for a 1 to 1 1/2 hour interview. Candidate may have more than one interview w/ different parties during the same visit. Candidate may need to come back for second interviews. Right before I left we also started adding online assessments to the process. Director level & up are required to go through a 1 1/2 day "mock" work scenario assessment hosted by an independently 3rd party before they can be made an offer. Process typically takes 6 weeks, but can vary dramatically depending on multiple factors.

Interview Questions

• SUPERVALU does behavioral interviewing. Plan to bring real-life work examples of how you demonstrated customer service, made critical decisions, how you handled urgent priorities, and how you showed leadership.   Answer Question