SUPERVALU Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

2.8

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SUPERVALU (Eden Prairie, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

Very quick process after being recruited. Phone interview with recruiter, then set up a interview with 2 separate people at SUPERVALU corporate office. Each interview took about 1 hour, and were very comfortable. Not hard questions, just personal and like a normal conversation.

Interview Questions

• Talk about past experience that can translate to helping this company move forward   Answer Question

Produce Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SUPERVALU (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was told that not only would I not be able to work in produce, I also would not be eligible for a position as clerk unless I changed my availability to every day, 6 AM to 2 AM. Even though I have several medications, sleep problems, and I knew that I would not be able to keep up a schedule like that, I was forced into it by the store manager.

Interview Questions

• They kept asking about the types of things that I had done before.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

IB Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SUPERVALU (Hopkins, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Situational behavior interviewing, explain an example of a time "blank" happened. Interviewed with Senior Merchandisers mostly. Did two rounds of group interview, 4 people and then 4 people. Started out pretty formal and then by end we got more casual and relaxed conversation. Rescheduling is almost impossible as getting about 8 or so busy employees schedules together is difficult. Try to not have to change date/time.

Interview Questions

• Situation at work that you worked with someone difficult to get along with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but I did choose this position over another company.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SUPERVALU in April 2011.

Interview

First and second round phone interviews. In-person interviews included case analysis and presentation. Interview questions were challenging and designed to understand how you think and deal with ambiguity. The interview took place in 2009 and may not be relevant today.

Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SUPERVALU (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2011.

Interview

easy. when i receive a call, everything was very fast from that point forward. Drug test, physical, in one week time i was working for Supervalu. my background was slow on average, due to long work history, but that was the only set back...

Interview Questions

• When you was available to start, and if you can work weekends   1 Answer

IT Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SUPERVALU (Boise, ID) in September 2013.

Interview

Straightforward, not too many questions. Mostly based off your resume. They require references that they will contact, a show of experience, and sometimes have you do a computer or paper test to show your computer competency.

Interview Questions

• They ask you about your work experience and how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at SUPERVALU.

Interview

They use an SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) style interview. They will give you a list of competencies that are appropriate for the level of job you are seeking. (Make Sound Decisions, Act Strategically, Think Creatively, Manage Execution, Meet Customer Needs, etc). Then you need to give an example that fits the question they ask about that competency. Example: Meet Customer Needs - Tell me about a time that you had to deal with an unhappy customer. Then you need to tell them what the situation was - what made the customer unhappy. What was your behavior or in other words what did you do to calm the customer and correct the situation. Last what was the outcome - was the customer happy, etc.

Negotiation

I did try but there was no negotiations. The offer was the offer.

Buyer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SUPERVALU in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then had a quick phone interview with a low-level HR rep. She then set up an interview with a couple other buyers. They asked 4 behavioral based questions and then that was it. They had me come back for another round, this time with 4 people. I'm guessing SuperValu requires them to attend the interview because they just read the questions off a sheet of paper and it is clear that they have no interest in being there. All in all, they seemed like a decent company to work for. I had a few other offers on the table so it was my fault for not preparing properly. The people I interviewed with just didn't seem too excited about their jobs and the job itself didn't seem too challenging.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you about a time you had given someone bad information.   Answer Question

Director Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SUPERVALU in February 2013.

Interview

SUPERVALU uses SBO format for most interviews. Situation, Behavior and Outcome. Come prepared with some good examples that demonstrate what YOU did in a challenging situation, what you thought, how you handled difficult people, etc.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are all situation/behavior based. Probably the most difficult ones are when you are expecting to tell about something good that you've accomplished, and instead, they ask to tell you about something that you didn't do so well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary and overall compensation package.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SUPERVALU in May 2010.

Interview

Describe a situation, your behavior, the outcome is the standard interview process. I had two interviews. One with Human Resources and one with the department account managers. Interview went well.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult situation and How you handled it with the customer   Answer Question