SUPERVALU

Updated Aug 1, 2014

2.8

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at SUPERVALU in June 2011.

All questions are behavioral questions, if you prepared well with enough examples then you should do pretty well. Total lasted about an hour and there is only one on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember there was one, sometimes you can use the same example to answer the different question, just state it from a different point of view.   Answer Question
    I had asked for more but they came up saying no.

Business Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in June 2011.

1 interview, in person with two people: Director and Manager.

Yes, I was able to negotiate. They offered me the lowest salary that I stated on my application, I countered with more pay and vacation and they accepted.

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at SUPERVALU in March 2011.

Overall a pleasant experience. Questions focused on certain key skills and experiences outlined for the recruiter by the hiring manager.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SUPERVALU in January 2011.

Various behaviorial interviews

Interview Questions
    • How many requisitions have you managed effectively at one time?   View Answer

Money

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SUPERVALU in August 2010.

I got contacted for the open position. I knew the hiring manager and the interview process was very smooth.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not so hard. mostly behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oglesby, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oglesby, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in August 2010.

The hiring process is very thorough. You are interviewed by HR and then a warehouse superintendent.

Interview Questions
    When can you start? This job pays $XX per hour to start.

Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in July 2010.

I was actually hired by a local grocery chain, but was kept on when Supervalu bought it out. I never had to go thru any type of interview process, but when our annual reviews came around I did have one pet peeve. We had to do a self evaluation which was extremely difficult for me-I thought my manager was a bit lazy in this regard.

Interview Questions
    • I guess one of the most difficult questions in general is when they ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years".   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SUPERVALU in May 2010.

Describe a situation, your behavior, the outcome is the standard interview process. I had two interviews. One with Human Resources and one with the department account managers. Interview went well.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult situation and How you handled it with the customer   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at SUPERVALU in May 2010.

The interview process was based more on personality mesh versus an attempt to determine competency.

Senior Manager - Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in April 2010.

I applied it online for the job.
      The first round was with the recruiter. She set aside more than 1 hr to talk in detail about my current position (I'm employed but was just looking for good opportunities). She asked me in detail about all the bullet points in my resume particularly my post-MBA experience. I did considerable work in strategy and analytics and so I could explain how it is.
      After the interview, she sent another email asking me to write answers to 2 qns about a project where I needed to communicate with merchants and explain advanced analytics in a simple manner, yet convicing them to change the assortment. I had to answer 2 questions and wait for more than a week, before she got back to me saying that the hiring manager wanted to talk with me. The interesting thing about SuperValu is that they sent me a document explaining the behavioral questions - that will be asked and the format they expect me to answer them also. That document helped me to tailor my answers (though I practiced a couple of years ago during B-school). The interview was with the hiring manager over the phone - an hour long interview. The hiring manager asked me in detail about my work and the reason I'm looking for a job change. The person went to the depth of analytics and asked me to take up an example and explain how I did, what I did and also how I communicated with the merchants, marketing folks and other cross functional folks around. The most important was - not just doing analytics using statistics but explaining to the folks around who don't understand advanced statistics and how to derive solid conclusions and persenting to senior management. This is the key responsibility of the job. Also, it has 2 direct reports and so some questions ranged around mentoring and coaching folks. The hiring manager ended up even asking me the version of SPSS, I used.
      After a week - 10 days, the recruiter calls me and says that they wanted me to fly to Minneapolis for 1:1 interview. I had 5 1:1 interviews including a VP. It is a pretty complex matrix organization. I had folks from different groups. Some asked me pointed questions, but others did not ask me anything and they probably wanted to check how I will steer the interview. Realizing the opportunity, I tailored my answers and told the interviewers what I wanted to communicate with them. I initiated the conversations and highlighted the parts of my resume, which I wanted to talk most. The following questions were based on the parts I stressed.
      They had many questions around testing my personality and my attitude for some questions and tried to see how I reacted in my past experiences. Having worked in larger corporations in very complex cross-functional teams, the questions were alright and didn't have to work hard to answer them.
      The recruiter got back to me after 1 week, asking me what I thought about the whole interview process. I told them positive news. She told me everyone liked me and that she will get back to me later. It took more than 2 more weeks, before they got back to me with an offer. Hiring manager called me and told me that they would like to give me an offer and that I've 4 - 5 days (including a weekend) to decide on the offer. I declined it because they were offering me the same amount I'm making and I was not ready to have a lateral move in all senses.
      Overall, they knew what they wanted, they were very particular about skillsets.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me specific examples when you have to convince merchants and other senior folks with your data analysis.
      It is a huge matrix organization and most of the questions I was asked revolved around the communication skills and seeking 'buy-in' from senior management.

Answer Question

Georgraphic location and the pay package was not upto what I expected to move from my current job.