SUPERVALU

Updated Aug 1, 2014

2.8

Corporate Deployment Implemenatation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in April 2009.

I was recruited by an internal Director. I was looking for work and an old aquaitance was familiar with my work so he reached out to inform me of and opening on the communications team. I applied for that postion and was interviewed sevreral times and landed the job.

Interview Questions
    • I think the questions around situations where I had failed. It is difficult to explain when you are not successful when much of my life I am strived to persevere obstacles and drive until you are a success.   View Answer
    You deal with the hiring Manager and he was very inflexible with changing the offer at all but I was able to negotiate an additional week of vacation in the end.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SUPERVALU in April 2009.

I was working closely with them when I went in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • why i wanted to do what i interviewed for. Would I fit in. How much experience and what did i know about the job.   View Answer
    • Would I fit in   View Answer
    check on the life of the position being offered.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in March 2009.

Job posting site, three interviews, one with HR, two with IT representatives. Interviews with IT were technical interviews run by managers who were not up on technical skills that they were interviewing for which meant they had notes from someone on their team, but they should have had the person with the skill set in the interview so that they would understand if your answer was correct but stated in a way that only someone with the skill would understand.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions about VBA for Excel coding when I was applying for a DotNet position where the requirement was for C#   Answer Question
    No negotiation it was a take as offered or not a all.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online – interviewed at SUPERVALU in January 2009.

online application, phone interview, in-person interview with hiring manager

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in January 2009.

Usually its a 2 stage interview process. Disitrict Manager and then Business unit director

Interview Questions
    I received an offer letter

Pharmacist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in July 2008.

It was over 12 years ago. I met with the pharmacy manager and a store director (manager) and after a week recieved the job offer. Human resources was not involved until training had been set up.The letter spelling out the job offer was a very nice touch. Actual date was July 2000

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in July 2008.

pretty simple process - I applied directly to the SV website and was soon contact by an internal recruiter. First interview was an hour long, four people and the second interview was also a panel, hour long, with four people.

Simple, straight forward questions - I used the STAR technique - all and all an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember any specific questions -nothing out of the norm - lots of questions on team relationships   Answer Question
    salary offer was fair as well as the bonus (not that we ever get a bonus) - only downside was it took 2-3 months to be eligible for heathcare

Category Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SUPERVALU in April 2007.

The use SBO. Situational, Behavior, Outcome. Some of the questions are good, but some are really off the wall and do not make sense. "Name a time that you gave false information?" I would hope no one would ever do that.... So it is an okay process, but it does not really gauge a person very well. It will really depend on the interviewer and what additional prbing questions they ask.

Interview Questions
    DId not negotiate. Company is cheap so they will go to the next person.

Brand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SUPERVALU in February 2007.

They are extremely committed to the STAR interview process - Situation, Task, Action, Results - and this applies to internal and external candidates. As an internal candidate I had an initial 1:1 with the hiring manager and a second 2:1 with HR and the hiring manager. I believe for external candidates it's bit more thorough and includes an initial phone interview or 2, as well as additional 1:1 interviews with cross functional managers the applicant would be working along side or dealing with frequently. The 2:1 may also be as many as 4:1 if superiors of the hiring manager choose to be involved...likely this is dependent on the level and responsibility of the position one is applying to.

Regarding STAR, be prepared for 3 or 4 potential "Situational" questions to be asked, such as, "Tell us about a time when a project you had worked on for some time was nearing its conclusion and a Sr. stakeholder decided it would not work"...or something along those lines. They will want to see how you manage conflict and obstacles, how you manage other individuals (directly or indirectly), how well you delegate and, very important, how you're able to navigate corporate structure and politics.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about your biggest professional failure, how you handled it and what the ultimate outcome was" I still think this is the toughest question to answer appropriately and still differentiate yourself.   Answer Question
    There is some flexibility. Pay scales are on a 1-5 matrix. One being salaried, non-management employees, 2 'front line' managers, 3 functional directors, 4 VPs (VP, Sr. VP, Group VP, Exec VP) and 5 Presidents and CEO.

Each scale has a low end and a high end and a candidate should be able to negotiate within that range.

Vacation and benefits are fairly set in stone, I believe.

Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SUPERVALU.

Initial phone screen with internal recruiter. Then an in person interview with two separate teams. Full behavioral interview, all questions follow their internal behavioral interview format.
    All staff interactions were pleasant.