Safety-Kleen Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015
Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.5

Sales & Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (West Nyack, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter several weeks after submitting online. Was then set up to have a phone screen with someone from HR. That went well, and a face to face interview was set up. I will say, sometimes looking at Glassdoor can be both helpful and harmful. In the case of this company, the reviews were just about the worst of any company I had ever read. Either way, decided to schedule the interview, but was prepared with some questions of which I formulated after several reviews on Glassdoor. The interview itself was very formatted with both relevant and irrelevant questions. Conducted by 3 people all at once, they each took turns reading off a set list of questions. Very, very generic questions. When it came time for my own questions, one of the questions i asked was how many times the commission structure has changed over the last two years. The somewhat fumbled response was "I think once or twice." - Well, have a good read of the reviews of this company by others in sales positions, and you will know this simply isn't factual. That alone sealed it in my mind. As for the companies follow up or lack thereof, after a week i reached back out to the recruiter to follow up. The response I received was the position opening and candidate search has been put on "hold". I asked if this was an internal issue or a candidate issue. To date, and it has been about 2 months I have not received a response from either the recruiter or the HR people. Very unprofessional process. From the application, to the assessments, to the time dedicated for a face to face interview, the whole thing rings as a total waste of time. Regardless though, I would not have accepted an offer had one been made, after the revealing fib told by the interviewers and the awful reviews here on Glassdoor.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Interview

I started as an intern and was eventually brought on full time upon complete of my degree.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't any tough interview question, just straight forward common application questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safety-Kleen.

Interview

Career Builder, Company website or local ad. Take online pre-employment tests. Local, in person interview with follow up interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you tell a customer if they ask a question about EPA regulation that you aren't sure of answer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not a lot of negotiation.

Market Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (West Brookfield, MA).

Interview

Long process. Took over 3 months and 6 meetings. CRM is very important to them. Wanted to know past sales goals.

Interview Questions

• Role playing a sales opportunity   1 Answer

Negotiation

Take it or leave it

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safety-Kleen in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview and than I met with nthe Regional Manager for 2 hours, it was a very pleasant interview and he said he would call me on Wed. he never called, very unprofessional.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (Plano, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

Spoke with someone from HR and they potential boss. Nothing difficult. At the time I was hired, SK had just gone thru bankruptcy and it was a little scary, but they brought things back to life. Several years later, Clean Harbors bought them out and it has gone downhill.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made me an offer. I told them I needed 5K more and they paid it.

Regional Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (Elgin, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Reasonably quick process...nothing too exhausting like a lot of companies these days. Interview with local mgmt team, then one-on-one with main Sales manager...I would not have accepted an offer, as it was VERY low, esp., considering my SUBSTANTIAL background and achievements. I would also not have accepted an offer as the idea of a sales meeting EVERY DAY @ 7:30 AM is insane. WEEKLY sales meets would, and have always, been quite enough. I do feel I was not made an offer due to my age, as I am 60. In my father's era, companies VALUED experience and success- I have 20+ years of sales (with awards, etc.) with 3 very well known companies in high-tech, etc. I believe companies THESE days want the younger workers, as they want someone who they can wring out for 20-30 years. And that they can also "brainwash" to THEIR way of "doing things". Companies today do not want you to bring anything to the table that might be new or different. They want it THEIR way, every day @ 7:30 AM.

Branch Dispatcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (North Amityville, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Everything was great 2 yrs ago

Branch General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (South Bend, IN) in October 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for a route driver position. Learned the business and moved into sales after 3 years. A year later I moved into the customer service position. A year after that I was promoted to Branch General Manager. Before being promoted to service manager & general manager I completed an online assessment after which the results were used to make sure I was a good match for the position based on the company expectations.

Interview Questions

• What are your future plans with this company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was a current employee when I was offered the general manager position so the negotiation process was basically me selling myself to the area manager.

Director of Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Safety-Kleen (Plano, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone call from internal corporate recruiter. Then there is a several week delay and then recruiter call and requested on line test for IQ, Skills and personality. After another 2 to 3 week delay there was a call to schedule a face to face interview.