Safeway

Average Difficulty
46 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and they called me 3 days later. It was kind of awkward because they had the interview in the break room so there was a bunch of other people around. I got a call before the interview asking me some questions.

Interview Question – What was a time that you resolved a disagreement with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway in June 2013.

Interview Details – Just be yourself and be friendly and respectful. The interview process is short but they do a on site swab test so be prepared for that. Everyone is friendly as long as you are friendly to them. Its all about good vibes

Interview Question – What would your supervisor of your last job say about you?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Courtesy Clerk

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Safeway in September 2013.

Interview Details – It was an easy interview, most likely if you get an interview, you got the job so don't be nervous, just go in there and tell them what they want to hear and you're hired.

Interview Question – Didn't have one.   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position of Courtesy Clerk at Safeway. It is my first job and I am 16 years old. About a week or so later after applying I got an email from a guy at the Safeway headquarters to schedule a phone interview with him, which is with the company, not the actual store. So the next day he called and we went over the job responsibilities and he asked basic questions like if I have a criminal background, my age, and things like that. It's basically just confirming information on the application. Then he asked about a time I had to deal with a difficult person, and then a time when I helped out a person. He asked me to complete some sort of extended application online which he emailed me a link to. Then about two and a half weeks later I got a call from the assistant manager at the store to schedule an interview. I went in the next day (I wore a professional-looking dress and sandals, and I took out all of my piercings--just in case you want to know what to wear). She took me into a back room and told me the job responsibilities, pay, hours, and just confirmed a few things that the guy on the phone asked, like my birthday and any criminal background. Then the questions began: Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person? Why do you want to work here? What is a short-term goal of yours? What is a long-term goal of yours? What would a teacher of yours say about you? What would your best friend say about you? Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it? (That was the most unexpected, to which I answered candles, balloons, and cookies). We also made a little conversation, like about her daughter and things like that, which I think helped make a connection. So then she said that she was going to cut the interview short but that she liked me and thought I had good qualities and said that they needed more smart people working there (because I told her I have a 4.0 GPA) and so she hired me on the spot. She asked me for my drivers license and social security card, and I had to drive home really quick to get those things and I came back and she told me when to come in for training and paperwork! I'll also have to do a drug test and they will probably do a background check. She was very nice and professional and I had a very positive experience.

Interview Question – Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I think some tips would be to make a connection and make eye contact, be interested in what they say and make your answers focus on the customers and business instead of yourself. Also, be confident!

Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in February 2013.

Interview Details – It was at a job fair at another Safeway. The questions were more unusual than I have been asked at other interviews. The interviewer was pleasant. You would think that working here would be too. Don't be fooled.

Interview Question – What is your favorite food and how would you sell the item?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions

• If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   View Answer
  • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   View Answer
  • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Campbell, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in October 2013.

Interview Details – it was a basic interview with the questions we always here it wasnt a great time by any means they try to make it a serious thing but in the end it is all the same

Negotiation Details – you will be payed the min amount

Milpitas, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call a week later.

Interview Question – Greatest feat accomplished?   View Answer

Courtesy Clerk

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – I applied online and followed up by calling the store I applied at about 3 days after I submitted my online Application. I interviewed at a different store and ended up working at a different location still close to my home. I went in, sat down, they were very relaxed and easy to talk to. One thing that helped me was realizing that it was a very intro job, so the interview should have not been that hard. Which in my eyes, it wasn't hard at all. After some questions about recent job history and flexibility, I was offered the job. I accepted and got swabbed on the spot for a drug test. I passed and was given an orientation date. Then from there I just started working my job.

Interview Question – What would you recommend to buy for a birthday party?

Balloons, cake and ice cream.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $7.85 hr. No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Courtesy Clerk

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – Applied for the position online (18 different locations) and wasn't sure I would get the job since it was so close to Christmas but I received a call back for an interview 8 days later for one store came in early did interview and was offered a position after.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Safeway?   View Answer
  • If someone wanted to buy a cake what 3 things would you recommend?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No it was pretty simple they stated the offer and you can either say yes or no

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!