Safeway

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.0

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

I applied to Safeway not really know what to expect or do because I had just moved to another state. They gave me a pre interview on the phone. They told me I would be applying for the Deli Clerk. I go in for the actual interview and they told me they had just filled all other positions other then the courtesy clerk. (I have job experience in deli services and bakery services). They gave me the job as courtesy clerk and I took it because I really needed a job. They had more people come in for interviews and they gave them jobs for the deli and bakery. I went online to see if they were still hiring and they just posted a new job opening for bakery and deli.
The interviewer told me to come in a few hours later to do some paper work. I went in, she made me wait a half hour. She told me to come in at a specific time a few days later for computer training, I went in, she told me to wait and then she told me I had to come back later. So I went in later and she left me on my own at the computer doing stupid training that was way to long. She then told me to go in the next day to meet with a manager, and I did. They made me wait half an hour again and then the manager didn't even know why I was there and what the interviewer wanted him to do.

This was the worst hiring process ever. Management didn't even care about the new hires and treated us like dirt.

I will definitely quit when I find a new job.

Interview Questions
  • If we asked a friend of yours, what would they say about you. (I hate these questions cause I am not my friend)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

I applied online and they called me 3 days later. It was kind of awkward because they had the interview in the break room so there was a bunch of other people around. I got a call before the interview asking me some questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time that you resolved a disagreement with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

Interview process was pretty easy! They mostly just ask you basic questions about yourself and your job experience in customer service (if you have any). They also ask questions about what you would do in certain situations. After the interview, they will administer the drug test. If you pass, then you will most likely be hired unless something went really wrong or the interviewer feels that you`re not right for this job.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer wanted to buy a cake, what other 3 items would you recommend them to get with it?   View Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

I applied online for the position of Courtesy Clerk at Safeway. It is my first job and I am 16 years old. About a week or so later after applying I got an email from a guy at the Safeway headquarters to schedule a phone interview with him, which is with the company, not the actual store. So the next day he called and we went over the job responsibilities and he asked basic questions like if I have a criminal background, my age, and things like that. It's basically just confirming information on the application. Then he asked about a time I had to deal with a difficult person, and then a time when I helped out a person. He asked me to complete some sort of extended application online which he emailed me a link to. Then about two and a half weeks later I got a call from the assistant manager at the store to schedule an interview. I went in the next day (I wore a professional-looking dress and sandals, and I took out all of my piercings--just in case you want to know what to wear). She took me into a back room and told me the job responsibilities, pay, hours, and just confirmed a few things that the guy on the phone asked, like my birthday and any criminal background. Then the questions began: Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person? Why do you want to work here? What is a short-term goal of yours? What is a long-term goal of yours? What would a teacher of yours say about you? What would your best friend say about you? Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it? (That was the most unexpected, to which I answered candles, balloons, and cookies). We also made a little conversation, like about her daughter and things like that, which I think helped make a connection. So then she said that she was going to cut the interview short but that she liked me and thought I had good qualities and said that they needed more smart people working there (because I told her I have a 4.0 GPA) and so she hired me on the spot. She asked me for my drivers license and social security card, and I had to drive home really quick to get those things and I came back and she told me when to come in for training and paperwork! I'll also have to do a drug test and they will probably do a background check. She was very nice and professional and I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I think some tips would be to make a connection and make eye contact, be interested in what they say and make your answers focus on the customers and business instead of yourself. Also, be confident!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinleyville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinleyville, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

Applied online. Got the call for interview date a day later. Was given a drug test, and signed a consent form for background check. Drug test consisted of mouth swab test, and I had to do it twice because I was not able to produce enough saliva for the first test for some reason.

Interview Questions
    I was offered base minimum wage pay, with the intention that I would be moved up to cashier at some point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   View Answer
    • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   View Answer
    • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

I applied online and followed up by calling the store I applied at about 3 days after I submitted my online Application. I interviewed at a different store and ended up working at a different location still close to my home. I went in, sat down, they were very relaxed and easy to talk to. One thing that helped me was realizing that it was a very intro job, so the interview should have not been that hard. Which in my eyes, it wasn't hard at all. After some questions about recent job history and flexibility, I was offered the job. I accepted and got swabbed on the spot for a drug test. I passed and was given an orientation date. Then from there I just started working my job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you recommend to buy for a birthday party?

Balloons, cake and ice cream.

Answer Question
    $7.85 hr. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in January 2014.

Applied online, got a call a week later.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Applied for the position online (18 different locations) and wasn't sure I would get the job since it was so close to Christmas but I received a call back for an interview 8 days later for one store came in early did interview and was offered a position after.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Safeway?   View Answer
    • If someone wanted to buy a cake what 3 things would you recommend?   View Answer
    No it was pretty simple they stated the offer and you can either say yes or no

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Safeway.

I was 16 and needed a job. If you get a call you pretty much get the job if you don't mess the interview up. Work was okay, not too exciting but easy to do.