Safeway Courtesy Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

1.9

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a week, they called me. The first call I denied; the next day, I called and asked to be reconsidered. The HM gladly called me back, following up on an interview the next day. Everything went really smooth and if it's your first interview, just read all the questions on GlassDoor! Every aspect will sail well.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation with someone you disagreed with?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Applied online; got called almost a week later. When I called the store back the manager gave a preliminary questionnaire i.e. (compliant with drug test, ever been arrested, etc,) then we set up a time to come in store and interview. The manager was very nice and polite, understood any concern/ question I had. I was scheduled to come in two days after the initial call. I came in store and it was during an average peak time for them, so the manager I was assigned was justified in being a bit stressed. I was told to wait in the lounge area until the customer level died down, which ended up being about 45 minutes after I arrived. I won't complain because I understood it came along with the trade of running a store. This gave me time to get my nerves to an ease, and actually talked with an employee a little; another employee told me "good luck."

So when I was summoned to interview, it was pretty simple: we went through the application, drug test, etc. There were a few misunderstandings with the manager I talked to on the phone in how the process was suppose to go, so the manager I interviewed with basically waived most questions since I'd been there for so long and wanted to hire me. The interview questions were pretty basic i.e. ("Why do you want to work here?" , "What does customer service mean to you?" , "Describe a time you worked in a team.") Also they will most likely ask you a "sales related" question and mine happened to be a scenario in which I had to sell additional items for a parent buying a party cake. Be prepared to answer this and list several items. But don't stress it, even if you aren't an ideal seller, they shouldn't care that much. That's what I was told.

I was hired on the spot, which followed paper work and other information I needed. This gave time to converse and explain availability/ other questions.

** I was told my application was pulled from others because my availability was pretty decent. (I marked down every day as available.) **

-- 16 years old in high school --

Interview Questions

• This wasn't my first interview at a company so I expected the traditional, "Why do you want to work here" , "Describe this, that," and so on. But if this is your first time, don't stress it, just make sure you do your research on job interview questions and make sure you have an idea of what to say. Just let the rest take care of itself (:   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just availability really, other than that I wasn't told much.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

Interview

I applied to Safeway not really know what to expect or do because I had just moved to another state. They gave me a pre interview on the phone. They told me I would be applying for the Deli Clerk. I go in for the actual interview and they told me they had just filled all other positions other then the courtesy clerk. (I have job experience in deli services and bakery services). They gave me the job as courtesy clerk and I took it because I really needed a job. They had more people come in for interviews and they gave them jobs for the deli and bakery. I went online to see if they were still hiring and they just posted a new job opening for bakery and deli.
    The interviewer told me to come in a few hours later to do some paper work. I went in, she made me wait a half hour. She told me to come in at a specific time a few days later for computer training, I went in, she told me to wait and then she told me I had to come back later. So I went in later and she left me on my own at the computer doing stupid training that was way to long. She then told me to go in the next day to meet with a manager, and I did. They made me wait half an hour again and then the manager didn't even know why I was there and what the interviewer wanted him to do.

This was the worst hiring process ever. Management didn't even care about the new hires and treated us like dirt.

I will definitely quit when I find a new job.

Interview Questions

• If we asked a friend of yours, what would they say about you. (I hate these questions cause I am not my friend)   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Sacramento, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The first step is simple, apply online. After you do so go to the store, in which you are applying, and inform the hiring manager of your interest. This may require repeatedly talking to the hiring manager. If they are interested they will call for an informal phone interview, which will ask the same questions as the formal interview. Next they will schedule you for a formal interview, which takes about 10 minutes. Depending on the store they may give you a call in about a week, informing you that you have been offered the job. They will have you come in for paperwork to sign, a drug test with immediate results, and a background check which takes around a week, but can be longer. If both clear they will official put you on the schedule, where you will spend the first couple days on computer training and a 4 hour class explaining company policy. Once all of this is completed you will start your 30 day probation period.

Interview Questions

• Tell the interviewer of a time you gave excellent customer service.   1 Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Colorado Springs, CO) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and they called me 3 days later. It was kind of awkward because they had the interview in the break room so there was a bunch of other people around. I got a call before the interview asking me some questions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you resolved a disagreement with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process was pretty easy! They mostly just ask you basic questions about yourself and your job experience in customer service (if you have any). They also ask questions about what you would do in certain situations. After the interview, they will administer the drug test. If you pass, then you will most likely be hired unless something went really wrong or the interviewer feels that you`re not right for this job.

Interview Questions

• If a customer wanted to buy a cake, what other 3 items would you recommend them to get with it?   1 Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position of Courtesy Clerk at Safeway. It is my first job and I am 16 years old. About a week or so later after applying I got an email from a guy at the Safeway headquarters to schedule a phone interview with him, which is with the company, not the actual store. So the next day he called and we went over the job responsibilities and he asked basic questions like if I have a criminal background, my age, and things like that. It's basically just confirming information on the application. Then he asked about a time I had to deal with a difficult person, and then a time when I helped out a person. He asked me to complete some sort of extended application online which he emailed me a link to. Then about two and a half weeks later I got a call from the assistant manager at the store to schedule an interview. I went in the next day (I wore a professional-looking dress and sandals, and I took out all of my piercings--just in case you want to know what to wear). She took me into a back room and told me the job responsibilities, pay, hours, and just confirmed a few things that the guy on the phone asked, like my birthday and any criminal background. Then the questions began: Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person? Why do you want to work here? What is a short-term goal of yours? What is a long-term goal of yours? What would a teacher of yours say about you? What would your best friend say about you? Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it? (That was the most unexpected, to which I answered candles, balloons, and cookies). We also made a little conversation, like about her daughter and things like that, which I think helped make a connection. So then she said that she was going to cut the interview short but that she liked me and thought I had good qualities and said that they needed more smart people working there (because I told her I have a 4.0 GPA) and so she hired me on the spot. She asked me for my drivers license and social security card, and I had to drive home really quick to get those things and I came back and she told me when to come in for training and paperwork! I'll also have to do a drug test and they will probably do a background check. She was very nice and professional and I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I think some tips would be to make a connection and make eye contact, be interested in what they say and make your answers focus on the customers and business instead of yourself. Also, be confident!

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway (McKinleyville, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Got the call for interview date a day later. Was given a drug test, and signed a consent form for background check. Drug test consisted of mouth swab test, and I had to do it twice because I was not able to produce enough saliva for the first test for some reason.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Safeway?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered base minimum wage pay, with the intention that I would be moved up to cashier at some point.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway (Santa Rosa, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions

• If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   1 Answer
    • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (Moses Lake, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

It was good I wasn't dressed too fancy I was confident and casual, the lady hired me that day and I had no problems with it, the questions were pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question
    • what does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer