Safeway

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

1.7

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Got contacted by a company representative in Arizona. Asked me basic questions like any other job interview. I had applied for a deli clerk but was only offered a courtesy clerk position.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you went over and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in December 2014.

I applied online and got a call 3 days later. I arrived 10 minutes early and was led to an office where the interview was to be had. The interview questions were very basic such as "why do you want to work here?", short/long term goals, and qualities that you previous employer would point out about you. It was a fairly easy/average interview. After the interview, you take a drug test. If you pass this you are almost guaranteed the job unless you do something stupid.

Interview Questions
    • None really. All questions were self explanatory and easy to answer   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Safeway in October 2014.

Completed the online application process and attended and in-store "job-fair" the job fair was nothing more than a small table near the entrance of the store. An assistant manager was there with a clipboard collecting information like your email address phone number position your interested in and whether you applied online. He seemed fairly new, and I think the job fair was something the district required as every Safeway in the area was doing it on the same day. Nothing came of the job fair within a couple of days so I called the store and found out the hiring manager was on vacation. I went into the store the following week when I told she would be back. I introduced myself and told her I applied online and she set up an interview 2 days away on the spot. The interview was pretty standard, we went into some store supply closet doubling as an office and she asked the required questions from the company interview guideline packet. It was quite a lengthy interview, perhaps 15-20 standard questions, mostly to confirm you posses at least a basic level of customer service skills and are not a sociopath. Upon completing the questions she informed me I passed and I took an oral drug test on the spot. I started a couple days later, the computer training took about 12 hours over 3 days which I definitely found to be overkill. Overall i found it very easy to get an interview and an offer so long as you're persistent and make and effort to see the hiring manager in store after completing the online application.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you weren't able to solve a customers problem, what was the outcome.   View Answer
    entry level associate candidates can expect not to have any sort of negotiation phase. However I was able to negotiate an extra uniform shirt without any trouble.

Deli Clerk Interview

The manager was friendly, but it took a while to get started. She seemed a bit frantic and unorganized. There was a foul smell coming from the store. It genuinely smelled like rotting food, and rats. When we got started, she asked me about my previous work. She then asked me about by citizenship status, and on to the computerized math test and questionnaire.

Deli Clerk Interview

Once they call you in for an interview you're basically guaranteed the position, so just don't say anything stupid. They don't even bother to write down your full response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

Typical interview questions, like what skills do you have to do the job your applying for, want to know previous experience, open availability is critical, why you want to work for
    Safeway, also drug test is required

None

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

After submitting an online application I received an email offering an interview. There was a brief phone screening during which the specifics of the position were described to me and I had to answer questions about my experience. During that phone call I was able to schedule an in-person interview. I was asked a few straightforward questions in the interview and they offered me the job then. They did the drug screening and background check immediately.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to take on a coworker's responsibilities.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult person.   Answer Question

The commute was too long for me. Everything else about the position was fine.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in September 2013.

Cattle call from an online job fair for a new store. The interview consisted of telling me what I'd be doing, how much I was going to be making, and that hours were subject to sales.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, They just picked me.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

I applied online, then went in 2 days afterward and handed them my resume. I was called back in 2 days and it wasn't an interview like the others I had been on recently. In fact, the entire process took less than 10 minutes. Because it is a Union store, there was no negotiating for a starting salary.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions other than my availability, which was nothing like any of the other interviews I had been on recently. I thought that was a bit odd.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in August 2013.

Get to the store ten to fifteen minutes early. Ask for the person interviewing you at the self-checkout or customer service desk. The person will be notified promptly; you will most likely be directed to a seat in the cafe or at Starbucks. The recruiter will come out and either lead you into a back office or take a seat across from you in the cafe.

Take initiative by starting the conversation. The interview will go better if you show initiative from the get-go. Try something simple, like "How is your day going?" if the recruiter is male. If the recruiter is female, compliment her. In any case, make sure YOU ask the first question!

Don't be afraid to show your (appropriate) funny bone, especially if you are applying for a job that involves dealing with lots of people.

The Safeway interview is quite standard from location to location. If you don't get a job at one location, try the next. You will already know the usual Safeway specific questions and have had time to think about how to better answer them.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict."   View Answer
    • "Suppose a customer buys a birthday cake. Give me three items to go along with that birthday cake."   View Answer

I was hired by another company before Safeway had a chance to call me back. I only got as far as a one-on-one interview, so I do not know what happens after the one-on-one interview.