Safeway

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Livermore, CA

I interviewed at Safeway in December 2011.

Interview Details – the questions was difficult and was ask about my prior employees and I answered them correctly

Interview Question – Why did i wanted to work in Safeway and what can i bring to the company   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Safeway in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very, very, very, very easy to get a job!!! ANYONE, I seriously mean ANYONE can work for Safeway.

Interview Question – I never received a formal interview, I was offered a job based on resume and then started training.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in May 2013.

Interview Details – Was asked to come into an employment center where we all took a number and listened to motivational speeches to pass the time. Was only supposed to go on for about 3 hours, ended up going nearly 8. Lunch break in the middle. Didn't actually get interviewed, since I was near the end, everyone else that was still there pretty much got hired since they asked us all more or less the same questions which were really only about availability and not what we could bring.

Interview Question – I wasn't even really interviewed, so the most difficult thing was "What hours are you available?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate was basically told there was one position which was different from what I was applying for, but had met my needs.

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Safeway in August 2013.

Interview Details – Get to the store ten to fifteen minutes early. Ask for the person interviewing you at the self-checkout or customer service desk. The person will be notified promptly; you will most likely be directed to a seat in the cafe or at Starbucks. The recruiter will come out and either lead you into a back office or take a seat across from you in the cafe.

Take initiative by starting the conversation. The interview will go better if you show initiative from the get-go. Try something simple, like "How is your day going?" if the recruiter is male. If the recruiter is female, compliment her. In any case, make sure YOU ask the first question!

Don't be afraid to show your (appropriate) funny bone, especially if you are applying for a job that involves dealing with lots of people.

The Safeway interview is quite standard from location to location. If you don't get a job at one location, try the next. You will already know the usual Safeway specific questions and have had time to think about how to better answer them.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict."   View Answer
  • "Suppose a customer buys a birthday cake. Give me three items to go along with that birthday cake."   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was hired by another company before Safeway had a chance to call me back. I only got as far as a one-on-one interview, so I do not know what happens after the one-on-one interview.

Deli Clerk

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – I applied online, then went in 2 days afterward and handed them my resume. I was called back in 2 days and it wasn't an interview like the others I had been on recently. In fact, the entire process took less than 10 minutes. Because it is a Union store, there was no negotiating for a starting salary.

Interview Question – There were no questions other than my availability, which was nothing like any of the other interviews I had been on recently. I thought that was a bit odd.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – The interview was in the store.Interview questions were easy. Hired on the spot. The HR staff was very friendly.

Interview Question – The questions were common sense, just be honest and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – Applied online for a brand new store opening a month or two later, and got a call the next day to come for an off-site, in-person interview. Did a quick (15 min.) interview. What took longer was the mouth swab drug test and waiting for its results. Once complete, they then tried to find a training store to start me at while the new store's construction was on-going.

Interview Question – Please tell me your favorite food and explain why you like it.   Answer Question

Manassas, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in October 2008.

Interview Details – very laid back, pretty much got hired on the spot.

Negotiation Details – ask to see if they will pay alot more, being underpaid sucks.

Show Low, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty easy. only asked why you want to work at safeway and what is the one thing about yourself that you need to work on. Talked about what you would be doing and that since you are the newbie you will get the night shifts and 16 to 20 hours. Drug test when you go into orientation. They do ask more questions at orientation like tell me about a time when you had to work in a team to help a customer. About 3 days of training on the computer. Okay job, horrible pay for all the work you do.

Interview Question – What is the one thing about yourself that you need to work on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Portland, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was called on a Sunday at 10AM and asked if I could come in later that afternoon. I agreed and came in and we sat in the eating area of the deli at the Pearl location of Safeway. The questions were basic and she said to make them brief, even though it was almost not possible to keep them brief. She said I was over qualified and that if was hired in the deli that I would not have a chance to move up, which was okay with me this was not a career for me. I called back 2 days later to check in and she said that they chose another candidate.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you worked with a team to accomplish something?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway Deli Clerk interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees and interview candidates.