Safeway

Average Difficulty
272 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had one in-person interview that took about 10 min before it was cut short and was decided to hire me on the spot after a simple drug test. After being hired, had to go through 8 hours of computer training of the course of 2 or 3 days. Whichever you prefer.

Interview Question – What were your jobs duties at your previous job as a cashier?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call back within a few days. Went for interview which was easy, I was asked why I wanted to work for Safeway. After the saliva drug test, I was hired and went to work two days later.

Interview Question – None, it was very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, minimum wage job.t

Applications Development Interview

Applications Development
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – (corporate it, AppDev) The interview process for most of Safeway (seeing this also after being hired) is non-standardized, haphazard, and typically a small group free-for-all. It should be easy to land a job, since most questions are not technical and they are really just looking for someone who can talk about the technologies, not necessarily know them. Many are hired off the phone or from resume.

Interview Question – The difficulty was the fact the questions I was asked were by people who did not know technology, per se, and did not understand the answers (nor the questions, I think). I had to explain the answers to them and whiteboard them as they had a completely different view and preconception as to what the answer was. This happened FOUR TIMES!

In the group interview (5 people in a room all asking questions) there was also one call-in. The connection was terrible and I could barely understand. This interviewer was noticeably upset that I could not answer and was the only one to give a "thumbs down". There was also a communications issue (language) which I don't blame anyone for except Safeway. They should have had this person in the room or ensured a proper connection.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay low. If they personally like you, you will get more. Some are willing to add a bonus because they can't bump you above their highly controlled pay scale policy--the only really standardized and controlled policy (along with dress code).

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in January 2014.

Interview Details – Really easy and laid back. I had no work experience going in and they just wanted to know how I plan to benefit the store. They wanted to make sure that I could work as a team with other workers and provide valuable customer service. They ask you to tell them about yourself and if you will work hard.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in ten years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a more valuable job opportunity elsewhere

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in February 2011.

Interview Details – I heard about a Job Fair for the new Castro Valley Store that Safeway was opening. So I decided to go down and check it out. I stood in a long line waiting to get interviewed. Once I got in I attended an information session as to what we should expect working at Safeway. Finally when I was called I entered room with many other potential new hires, and had a 1:1 interview. The questions were very easy. I just smiled a lot, and answered the questions thoroughly. Afterwards he had me take a drug test, which meant I was getting hired If I based the drug test which I did. After that they said they would run a background check and let me know when I can start.

Interview Question – I don't remember, my interview was very easy.   Answer Question

Helper Clerk Interview

Helper Clerk
Cheney, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Safeway in September 2012.

Interview Details – I spoke with a manager in the store, who told me to apply online. Two days later they called for me to come in and interview with the 2nd assistant manager. She was very good at interviewing and made me feel very comfortable. Everyone in the store was very welcoming and nice.

Interview Question – What was my aspirations within the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Pay is .10 above minimum wage. Period

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Safeway in September 2013.

Interview Details – It was an easy interview, most likely if you get an interview, you got the job so don't be nervous, just go in there and tell them what they want to hear and you're hired.

Interview Question – Didn't have one.   Answer Question

Starbucks Supervisor Interview

Starbucks Supervisor

Interviewed at Safeway

Interview Details – Lot of questions about what you see this job as, where do you see yourself in 5 years, What would you do in a certain situation with a customer.

Interview Question – What do you do when a customer gets mad at you.   Answer Question

Safeway (Food Clerk) Interview

Safeway (Food Clerk)
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one person after submitting my resume. I had a college degree and lots of work experience with brand-name companies. I enjoyed interviewing with Safeway. Unlike many companies; Safeway did not make me fill-out a lot of paperwork until I was scheduled for an interview. Safeway did drug-testing. Safeway was welcoming upon hiring.

Interview Question – Describe a time when a customer was dissatisfied and you solved the problem and made the customer happy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation because I was very happy with the salary offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II Interview

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – My interview was over 8 years ago so the process has changed a little, but Safeway interviews are very stressful. They ask regular interview questions and technical questions. They want all answers to be geared toward their ACT policy. Make sure to use specifics and keep describe the situation, what you did, did it work, why you chose to do it, and what you learned.

Interview Question – I don't know specifics as it has been over 8 years since I interviewed for my position.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway interview questions and advice. All 272 interview reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees and interview candidates.