Safeway Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.3

QC Technician Interview

I submitted my resume and get a phone call on the second day, and then have onsite interview after on week I submitted my resume. Sat with 2 manager, and it takes about one hour.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

I applied to Safeway not really know what to expect or do because I had just moved to another state. They gave me a pre interview on the phone. They told me I would be applying for the Deli Clerk. I go in for the actual interview and they told me they had just filled all other positions other then the courtesy clerk. (I have job experience in deli services and bakery services). They gave me the job as courtesy clerk and I took it because I really needed a job. They had more people come in for interviews and they gave them jobs for the deli and bakery. I went online to see if they were still hiring and they just posted a new job opening for bakery and deli.
    The interviewer told me to come in a few hours later to do some paper work. I went in, she made me wait a half hour. She told me to come in at a specific time a few days later for computer training, I went in, she told me to wait and then she told me I had to come back later. So I went in later and she left me on my own at the computer doing stupid training that was way to long. She then told me to go in the next day to meet with a manager, and I did. They made me wait half an hour again and then the manager didn't even know why I was there and what the interviewer wanted him to do.

This was the worst hiring process ever. Management didn't even care about the new hires and treated us like dirt.

I will definitely quit when I find a new job.

Interview Questions
    • If we asked a friend of yours, what would they say about you. (I hate these questions cause I am not my friend)   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

Applied online and a week later received a phone interview. Simple questions about past work experience and have I ever been arrested before. She said she would let me know in the next 48hours if I would be seen for a face to face interview or not. Got a call two days later for a face to face interview at a Pack N Save store. People were coming in and out for interviews. You wait for your name to be called then sit down at a table with a store manager while they ask you simple questions. Since I was applying for a new store they asked what position did I want. The pay for the cashier is $9.50 an hr and after the interview they offered me the position. Really, seem like everyone got hired since they are opening a new store in Alameda, CA. After that had to do a drug test right then and there with a mouth swab. I Passed and was told to come back the following week with papers (I.D. Social Security Card) to get started. I don't know what happened to the people that didn't pass the drug test. Simple interview, nothing to be nervous about.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saratoga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway in July 2014.

The interview was very low key. Typical questions. Scenario questions (which were very weird in my opinion). They called me 3 weeks after the interview and made an appointment for another interview. The interview was exactly the same. Same stupid scenario questions. I got hired a week later.

Interview Questions
    • "If someone bought a cake, what are some things that you would recommend them to buy?"
      I had NO idea what they meant. The only thing I could think about was how the question made no sense to me. Literally a 30 second pause of me filling the silence with "hmm" and "um". Very embarrassing. They had to tell me the answer.
        View Answer

PC Tech III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway in October 2010.

Standard interview process with select interview questions - heavy on customer service focus. Technical skills reviewed but really having the ability to learn and adapt is important as customer service comes first

Interview Questions
    internal candidate so no negotiating

Deli Clerk Interview

The manager was friendly, but it took a while to get started. She seemed a bit frantic and unorganized. There was a foul smell coming from the store. It genuinely smelled like rotting food, and rats. When we got started, she asked me about my previous work. She then asked me about by citizenship status, and on to the computerized math test and questionnaire.

Home Shopper Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Safeway in July 2013.

one on one interview, drug test was given on the spot, questionnaire was required. Personal and Professional questions were asked during the one on one interview. Was hired on the spot, and waiting three business days to start work.

Interview Questions
    • what would prefer to a friend on what to eat for dinner   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

Interview process was pretty easy! They mostly just ask you basic questions about yourself and your job experience in customer service (if you have any). They also ask questions about what you would do in certain situations. After the interview, they will administer the drug test. If you pass, then you will most likely be hired unless something went really wrong or the interviewer feels that you`re not right for this job.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer wanted to buy a cake, what other 3 items would you recommend them to get with it?   View Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in May 2013.

Saliva test that took no more than twenty minutes. Usually if there is an interview than you were hired. Was easy to get it was my first interview and job.

Interview Questions
    • None i wanted the job i would step up in any situation and attempt to do resolve the problem   View Answer
    i was willing to work any hours they like flexibility but they will work around your school schedule

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Safeway in August 2013.

The interview is conducted by 4 people where you are given an Oral Examination. The District HR representative, The District Sales Manager, The Director of Employee Education and a Store Manager. It consists of 7 questions and is graded on a 5 point system. Each question is about store operations. Employee Conflict Resolution, Customer Conflict Resolution, Accurate Book Keeping, Shrink Tracking and Control, Process Benchmarking, Out of Stock control, and Gross Profit. There is also as written exam.

A score is generated from the RLD (retail leadership development) classwork, the written examination, the oral examination and the interview.

This final score determines whether you receive the promotion or not and your starting salary which varies from 37k to 57k.

Interview Questions

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!