Safeway Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

1.8

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway.

Interview

I applied online, got called in, they asked me some questions about customer service and past jobs, they said they'd call me in a few days, they called about a week later, I went it and did some stuff online, took an oral drug test and the next day I came in for training (paid), training was done on computer took three days, got my schedule after that.

Bakery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Safeway in August 2015.

Interview

First I applied online, a couple days later I received an email informing me of a job fair around my location. I went to the job fair where I sat for about ten minutes in the waiting area, and continued to the interview when my name was called.

Interview Questions

• How would a close friend describe you? Short term goals with Safeway? Long term goals with Safeway? What makes you want to work at Safeway? How do you manage working on a group project?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Colorado Springs, CO) in August 2015.

Interview

Very informal, was held in a room with other employees, kept getting interrupted by other employees. The room was small and dingy. The employee lounge was depressing. Get prepared to be interrupted during the process - remember this was a pre-screening only, so maybe this kind of process is to be somewhat expected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Safeway?   1 Answer
    • What is one of your short term goals?   1 Answer
    • How would you manage or deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you handled a difficult customer.   1 Answer
    • Do you have an idea about how long you will be standing on the floor, and how stressful it can be with serving customers in the deli section?   1 Answer

Food Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway (Mount Vernon, WA).

Interview

Submitted an application online, Called interviewer a couple of times, Got a job interview, Asked some questions, Did a drug test. Seems like they'd hire just about anyone. Answer the questions honestly.

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Colorado Springs, CO).

Interview

Very minimal. Nothing too crazy, and no deep questions. This is the kind of place that hires mentally challenged people, so its not an SAT test. Dress like you actually want the job and its almost a guarantee you will be hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an upset customer that you don't know how to deal with.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Eugene, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

Quick and easy. Applied for the job online, had a phone interview about four hours later, and then had an in-person interview two hours after that. The questions asked during the interview are your typical run of the mill basic interview questions. What would your previous employers say about you, why do you want to work here, etc.

Interview Questions

• An example of a time you had to deal with an upset customer.   Answer Question

Bakery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online off of indeed.com filled out complete application with assessment. Waited about a week or so and was called in for an interview. Dressed professional with questions ready. Pretty standard interview the interviewer was very professional and knowledgeable. Filled out all the required paperwork work on paper as well as online. Took Drug Test right there on the spot which was nice so I didn't have to go to a clinic.

Interview Questions

• What three things would you suggest to a customer buying a birthday cake?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Safeway.

Interview

My father works for Safeway and knew many of the people that were in management, was a relatively easy interview. They essentially just asked about work ethic and about responsibility, they also asked about whether or not I could handle school and work.

Interview Questions

• What would you describe as your worst quality? Describe a time when you felt overwhelmed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (West Hollywood, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, then got an email about a job fair about a week later (I didn't go to the first job fair- they have a couple job fairs per week for a few weeks). There's a sign-in sheet and you wait until the supervisor calls you in for the interview. There were no difficult questions, and I was never even asked to show him my resume.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a disagreement with someone and how did you handle it peacefully?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Safeway?   Answer Question

Food Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Silver Spring, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

This was an easy interview. There's always a drug test. It's only the cotton swab, so if you don't smoke like the morning of then you will be fine. They will ask why you want to work there and will give you various scenarios that you must give a response to. Make sure you are friendly because that's a big part of the job.

Interview Questions

• What else would you suggest to a customer who bought a birthday cake?   1 Answer