Safeway Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.3

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

Contacted recruiter, had interview at school. After that there is a phone interview and then an in office interview. I did not go past the school interview because I was going to be out of the country studying abroad for the rest of the process. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic and easy. Questions about strengths and weaknesses, favorite courses in college, ect.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in January 2015.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by the hiring recruiters in Pleasanton, California to schedule a pre screening telephone interview. The telephone interview was pretty simple a couple situational questions and a couple of calculation questions. We also talked about availability, willingness to travel and any certifications I hold.

I was contacted by another person from the HQ to take a math and personality assessment. The calculations were easy for me since I really love math, especially pharmacy calculations.

I was contacted a couple days after that to schedule an interview and just had my interview today. I arrived early and it seemed as if the pharmacy manager had no idea that she had an interview scheduled today. She did tell me that I was her last interview and seemed in a rush to get it over with.

She asked me questions from a packet and had no follow up questions for me, neither did she ask me if I had any questions for her. She also left the interview a couple times because I don't think there was another pharmacist on duty to cover while she did the interview. It kind of seemed like she had already knew who she wanted to hire and was just interviewing me for the heck of it.

She went on telling me about how Safeway is in a union and the pharm techs get paid 9 something an hour since they're in the union and kind of making me feel like the job wasn't too great anyway. Especially because they have to pay an initiation fee of 500$ after working for 3 months.

I went home and told my husband that I'd rather work in a gelato shop than at a Safeway pharmacy.

Interview Questions
    • What strategies do you do to make sure expired meds are taken care of?   Answer Question
    • Questions about insurance   Answer Question
    • One of your co workers call in sick leaving just you and the pharmacist. How do you prioritize the tasks that need to be done and why?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle an upset patient?   Answer Question

Department Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway in January 2015.

I had two people that interviewed me. Each of them asked me about two questions. The interview lasted about twenty-two minutes. One interviewer at the end was more inclined to talk to me about the upcoming NFL playoffs, than focusing on my answers for the interview. I was rushed and I felt that the interviewers were going through the motions of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had to deliver bad news to upper management regarding a project. What was the outcome   Answer Question

General Merchandise Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

Pretty simple interview process. Easy business questions and it's basically to just see if you're good with the public and can do basic math. nothing overly difficult since it's a job created for high school kids or retired citizens.

Interview Questions
    • There were no overly difficult questions. the only question that was "situation based" was "What would your up-selling strategy be towards someone buying a cake?"   View Answer

Pharmacy Interview

There were two phone screens, followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview is behavioral type questions with a panel of three interviewers. Be able to provide an example of skills, experiences, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What was something you implemented or changed at previous job?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in December 2014.

I applied online and got a call 3 days later. I arrived 10 minutes early and was led to an office where the interview was to be had. The interview questions were very basic such as "why do you want to work here?", short/long term goals, and qualities that you previous employer would point out about you. It was a fairly easy/average interview. After the interview, you take a drug test. If you pass this you are almost guaranteed the job unless you do something stupid.

Interview Questions
    • None really. All questions were self explanatory and easy to answer   Answer Question

Baker II Lakewood Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in December 2014.

The Phoenix office gave initial phone screen. Head Clerk at retail store schedule the interview a week later and advised (at end of interview) expect callback following week if successful or no response if not. Internal disconnect between Phoenix and Lakewood on urgency to fill position. Entire process was approximately two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: How do you handle a disagreement.   View Answer

ESC Processor I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

I remember sitting with at least 3 other people in the interview. They were the ones asking me the questions in regards to my past work experience and what the future would be for me at Safeway.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in November 2014.

Terrible process. I have 12 years experience working in a grocery store and they didn't even call me for an interview I had to call HR to get screened. Once I passed that they told me there was an opening for a cashier position. I went to the interview and the Young, unfriendly, HR girl told me all the openings for cashier had been filled. They offered me a courtesy clerk position paying 7.25 an hr after I have experience as a 3rd key manager, and a college degree. I was told they only are offering entry level positions. To top it off the next day I see a posting for a front end cashier position at the same store. Something is seriously wrong the hiring process at Safeway. Don't go there unless you want minimum wage.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't ask any questions other than what is your name?   Answer Question

They don't pay you what you are worth and can careless what experience you have.

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Safeway in November 2014.

Submitted resume online; got an invitation for a pre-screen interview. During the pre-screen interview I was informed that this is a minimum wage job with varying hours, no less than 20 per week but up to 40. Since the business need varies from store to store, I opted to go to a face-to-face interview. The assistant store manager was very nice and professional, she indicated that she would like to put me to the top of the hiring recommendations to the store manager, but also saw my hesitation due to the lack of consistent hours, wage level (were looking for experience but only paid minimum wage). What really got to me is that if I would have applied as a cashier, I would still not be guaranteed 40 hours a week, but would have a starting wage of more than one dollar more that minimum wage.
    After consideration I declined to go further in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example for when you dealt with an 'difficult' customer.   View Answer