Safeway

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.2

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Safeway in July 2014.

Very typical review, not hard at all. They asked about my qualifications, they asked about my education. They asked some scenario questions as well. All very easy. The interview was in a very scanty looking room with all of the computers.

Interview Questions
    • "If someone were to buy a cake, what else would you recommend them to buy?"
      I didn't understand the intent of the question at the time. But other than that - very easy interview.
        View Answer

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway in July 2014.

The interview was very low key. Typical questions. Scenario questions (which were very weird in my opinion). They called me 3 weeks after the interview and made an appointment for another interview. The interview was exactly the same. Same stupid scenario questions. I got hired a week later.

Interview Questions
    • "If someone bought a cake, what are some things that you would recommend them to buy?"
      I had NO idea what they meant. The only thing I could think about was how the question made no sense to me. Literally a 30 second pause of me filling the silence with "hmm" and "um". Very embarrassing. They had to tell me the answer.
        View Answer

Applications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

(corporate it, AppDev) The interview process for most of Safeway (seeing this also after being hired) is non-standardized, haphazard, and typically a small group free-for-all. It should be easy to land a job, since most questions are not technical and they are really just looking for someone who can talk about the technologies, not necessarily know them. Many are hired off the phone or from resume.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty was the fact the questions I was asked were by people who did not know technology, per se, and did not understand the answers (nor the questions, I think). I had to explain the answers to them and whiteboard them as they had a completely different view and preconception as to what the answer was. This happened FOUR TIMES!

In the group interview (5 people in a room all asking questions) there was also one call-in. The connection was terrible and I could barely understand. This interviewer was noticeably upset that I could not answer and was the only one to give a "thumbs down". There was also a communications issue (language) which I don't blame anyone for except Safeway. They should have had this person in the room or ensured a proper connection.
        Answer Question
    They pay low. If they personally like you, you will get more. Some are willing to add a bonus because they can't bump you above their highly controlled pay scale policy--the only really standardized and controlled policy (along with dress code).

Starbucks Supervisor Interview

Lot of questions about what you see this job as, where do you see yourself in 5 years, What would you do in a certain situation with a customer.

Front End Cashier Interview

Basic interview, covered customer service and satisfaction.
    Asked how difficult customers would be handled as well as questions regarding conflict resolution.
    Interviewed with Head clerk and hiring manager.
    Last step was drug screening which was taken at an off site lab.
    Results reported within 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Basic straightforward interview   Answer Question
    No negotiation, union store.

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

My interview was over 8 years ago so the process has changed a little, but Safeway interviews are very stressful. They ask regular interview questions and technical questions. They want all answers to be geared toward their ACT policy. Make sure to use specifics and keep describe the situation, what you did, did it work, why you chose to do it, and what you learned.

Interview Questions
    • I don't know specifics as it has been over 8 years since I interviewed for my position.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

Typical interview questions, like what skills do you have to do the job your applying for, want to know previous experience, open availability is critical, why you want to work for
    Safeway, also drug test is required

None

Journeyman Food Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Safeway.

You will have to fill out an application online. Best practice is to go into a store after filling out the application and ask to speak to the hiring coordinator. All questions will be towards customer service.

Interview Questions
    • What if you see a customer shoplifting?   View Answer
    Hired on the spot. You apply online but you should ask to speak with the hiring coordinator, and they will usually pull your application.

General Liability Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

Applied online via the general careers website. Received a phone call around 2-3 weeks after for an interview. After the interview, was offered the position the day after. Three people were present, HR rep, manager of the department, and hiring manager. They had a list of questions that they have to go through and we went down the list during the interview process.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

I applied online for the position of Courtesy Clerk at Safeway. It is my first job and I am 16 years old. About a week or so later after applying I got an email from a guy at the Safeway headquarters to schedule a phone interview with him, which is with the company, not the actual store. So the next day he called and we went over the job responsibilities and he asked basic questions like if I have a criminal background, my age, and things like that. It's basically just confirming information on the application. Then he asked about a time I had to deal with a difficult person, and then a time when I helped out a person. He asked me to complete some sort of extended application online which he emailed me a link to. Then about two and a half weeks later I got a call from the assistant manager at the store to schedule an interview. I went in the next day (I wore a professional-looking dress and sandals, and I took out all of my piercings--just in case you want to know what to wear). She took me into a back room and told me the job responsibilities, pay, hours, and just confirmed a few things that the guy on the phone asked, like my birthday and any criminal background. Then the questions began: Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person? Why do you want to work here? What is a short-term goal of yours? What is a long-term goal of yours? What would a teacher of yours say about you? What would your best friend say about you? Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it? (That was the most unexpected, to which I answered candles, balloons, and cookies). We also made a little conversation, like about her daughter and things like that, which I think helped make a connection. So then she said that she was going to cut the interview short but that she liked me and thought I had good qualities and said that they needed more smart people working there (because I told her I have a 4.0 GPA) and so she hired me on the spot. She asked me for my drivers license and social security card, and I had to drive home really quick to get those things and I came back and she told me when to come in for training and paperwork! I'll also have to do a drug test and they will probably do a background check. She was very nice and professional and I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I think some tips would be to make a connection and make eye contact, be interested in what they say and make your answers focus on the customers and business instead of yourself. Also, be confident!