Safeway

Relevance Date Difficulty

Broadcast Administrator Interview

Broadcast Administrator
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in March 2010.

Interview Details – Safeway conducts behavior style interviews. Interview questions for the initial round are created by HR. If chosen for the second round the hiring manager can ask questions related to skills and job responsibilities. The culture if very conservative and traditional so where a tie even if you are a designer.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question. "Tell me a time when you had to use your charm."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR did not negotiate. I was currently a contractor and basically I could take it or leave it. Contract rate doubled the full-time rate. I offered to decline health benefits, but they declined.

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – After submitting an online application I received an email offering an interview. There was a brief phone screening during which the specifics of the position were described to me and I had to answer questions about my experience. During that phone call I was able to schedule an in-person interview. I was asked a few straightforward questions in the interview and they offered me the job then. They did the drug screening and background check immediately.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The commute was too long for me. Everything else about the position was fine.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in May 2011.

Interview Details – Reached out by exec recruiter. Had initial screen by exec recruiter, then hiring manager who was a VP. Went well, was pretty easy. Asked to go in for follow up in person interviews. Had one on ones with hiring manager, HR rep, and two directors. Was then asked to come back to meet with one more director and the SVP. Not sure what the purpose of this last round was, it wasn't particularly difficult. Questions were very situational, in fact they followed a script like nobody's business. Tell me about a time when you....

Interview Question – If you could create a brand out of nothing what would you create.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offer was really good.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions

• If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   View Answer
  • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   View Answer
  • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Produce Clerk Interview

Produce Clerk
Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

Interview Details – no real job expierence needed just basic questions and answers job has more to do with being fast learner and havig sense of urgency plus cant get mad at ridicoulus work ethic

Interview Question – why do u want to work for safeway   View Answer

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

Very Easy Interview

Front End Cashier Interview

Front End Cashier
Corvallis, OR

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Interview Details – Very laid back and easy to get accepted. They just ask you normal questions about yourself and then give you a drug test and that is all. The hiring staff seems as though they need to get back to work and end the interview as quickly as they can.

Interview Question – How can you help our failing staff?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations just yes or no.

Very Easy Interview

Safeway - Starbucks Barista Interview

Safeway - Starbucks Barista
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Safeway in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview. Not many questions were asked. They did want to clarify that I was completely available. Also, the other important part to them, was the drug test which is done right away.

Interview Question – Why I have tattoos on my hands   View Answer

Negotiation Details – That I would be hired on as Barista, but, also be trained for the deli. I applied for barista, but, they needed help in the deli. So the negotiation was that I would fill in at the deli when needed.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – They first cantact you via telephone, it can be challenging if you don't catch them on the phone. They don't respond well to mesages left

Interview Question – Standard interview questions from a list where the responses are written down   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Oak Brook, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – First was a sreening interview over the phone, the a more formal phone interview with HR. After that I went in for a series of computer assesments, one was math, one was verbal, one was situational, and one was personality. then and in-person panel interview with a District Manager, a Director of HR, a Director of Training, a Director of Operations, and finally an in-person interview with the Vice President of Operations in which an offer was made on the spot.

Negotiation Details – Offered a salary during final interview, I came back with another offer. VP went to meet with Director of HR, came back with a reasonable offer in the middle.

Customer Service Clerk Interview

Customer Service Clerk

Interviewed at Safeway

Interview Details – Personal contact with the store manager is essential for success, even though the initial application process is performed online. This is true with most jobs; if one wants the job they can't just sit at home in their pajama's and expect success. Dress appropriately for the position one is seeking and have an "I can do" attitude. This is a high energy position and one needs to have a high energy attitude. Remember when going to speak with someone that the customers come first; check which days of the week one goes into talk about a job. Saturday afternoons or the dinner hours are not the time to be seeking a manager to speak with.

Interview Question – What brought you to this area?   View Answer