Safeway Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.3

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview with HR Managers on a panel. Questions had many layers to them, it was difficult to cover every point they orginally asked per question. If you missed a part of that they would ask that specific portion again. I recommend to take the opportunity to share your biggest accomplishments in the introduction or when you close, don't count on that being one of the questions they ask and if you don't get it in there on your own you might not be asked. Definately ask questions at the end, at least 2 or 3.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and situational   Answer Question
    • Had multiple examples prepared for different situations   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?
      Tell us about a time you had to get multiple assignments completed at the same time

1 Answer

Negotiation

No, negoitiation. Would not increase offer when asked

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristow, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Bristow, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview took about 30 minutes and was overall fairly easy to get through. They asked me basic questions about my work background and seemed pleased that I had volunteer experience since I had never been previously employed. The manager who interviewed me also made a point to connect with me on a personal level by tailoring the usual interview questions to fit the experiences I have already had. Once the interview was concluded, I received an official job offer.

I was then passed off to another person in management who began the hiring process. First, I agreed to a drug test and then we sat down at a computer and filled out multiple forms until I was an official employee. I received my schedule for the upcoming week and was sent on my way. All in all, the interviewing and hiring process took between 60-75 minutes.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to deal with a conflict between people and how did you resolve it peacefully?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Interview was a panel interview with two directors and two managers. They asked me about my resume and my previous jobs and skill sets. They also asked about any projects that I did that I could explain in detail and what the outcome was. Then, each person switched off reading mostly behavioral questions. Overall interview was straightforward and no tricky questions.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was something like this: "Tell me a time when everyone was against you but you knew it was the right decision for the company and pushed for a change. Explain the approach you took."   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Applied online; got called almost a week later. When I called the store back the manager gave a preliminary questionnaire i.e. (compliant with drug test, ever been arrested, etc,) then we set up a time to come in store and interview. The manager was very nice and polite, understood any concern/ question I had. I was scheduled to come in two days after the initial call. I came in store and it was during an average peak time for them, so the manager I was assigned was justified in being a bit stressed. I was told to wait in the lounge area until the customer level died down, which ended up being about 45 minutes after I arrived. I won't complain because I understood it came along with the trade of running a store. This gave me time to get my nerves to an ease, and actually talked with an employee a little; another employee told me "good luck."

So when I was summoned to interview, it was pretty simple: we went through the application, drug test, etc. There were a few misunderstandings with the manager I talked to on the phone in how the process was suppose to go, so the manager I interviewed with basically waived most questions since I'd been there for so long and wanted to hire me. The interview questions were pretty basic i.e. ("Why do you want to work here?" , "What does customer service mean to you?" , "Describe a time you worked in a team.") Also they will most likely ask you a "sales related" question and mine happened to be a scenario in which I had to sell additional items for a parent buying a party cake. Be prepared to answer this and list several items. But don't stress it, even if you aren't an ideal seller, they shouldn't care that much. That's what I was told.

I was hired on the spot, which followed paper work and other information I needed. This gave time to converse and explain availability/ other questions.

** I was told my application was pulled from others because my availability was pretty decent. (I marked down every day as available.) **

-- 16 years old in high school --

Interview Questions

• This wasn't my first interview at a company so I expected the traditional, "Why do you want to work here" , "Describe this, that," and so on. But if this is your first time, don't stress it, just make sure you do your research on job interview questions and make sure you have an idea of what to say. Just let the rest take care of itself (:   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just availability really, other than that I wasn't told much.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Contacted recruiter, had interview at school. After that there is a phone interview and then an in office interview. I did not go past the school interview because I was going to be out of the country studying abroad for the rest of the process. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• All very basic and easy. Questions about strengths and weaknesses, favorite courses in college, ect.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Honolulu, HI) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by the hiring recruiters in Pleasanton, California to schedule a pre screening telephone interview. The telephone interview was pretty simple a couple situational questions and a couple of calculation questions. We also talked about availability, willingness to travel and any certifications I hold.

I was contacted by another person from the HQ to take a math and personality assessment. The calculations were easy for me since I really love math, especially pharmacy calculations.

I was contacted a couple days after that to schedule an interview and just had my interview today. I arrived early and it seemed as if the pharmacy manager had no idea that she had an interview scheduled today. She did tell me that I was her last interview and seemed in a rush to get it over with.

She asked me questions from a packet and had no follow up questions for me, neither did she ask me if I had any questions for her. She also left the interview a couple times because I don't think there was another pharmacist on duty to cover while she did the interview. It kind of seemed like she had already knew who she wanted to hire and was just interviewing me for the heck of it.

She went on telling me about how Safeway is in a union and the pharm techs get paid 9 something an hour since they're in the union and kind of making me feel like the job wasn't too great anyway. Especially because they have to pay an initiation fee of 500$ after working for 3 months.

I went home and told my husband that I'd rather work in a gelato shop than at a Safeway pharmacy.

Interview Questions

• What strategies do you do to make sure expired meds are taken care of?   Answer Question
    • Questions about insurance   Answer Question
    • One of your co workers call in sick leaving just you and the pharmacist. How do you prioritize the tasks that need to be done and why?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle an upset patient?   Answer Question

Department Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had two people that interviewed me. Each of them asked me about two questions. The interview lasted about twenty-two minutes. One interviewer at the end was more inclined to talk to me about the upcoming NFL playoffs, than focusing on my answers for the interview. I was rushed and I felt that the interviewers were going through the motions of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had to deliver bad news to upper management regarding a project. What was the outcome   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in January 2015.

Interview

They use the STAR process which has behavioral questions. 5 questions. They can be difficult to answer if external or internal applicant since you don't know which questions they will ask. They don't rely on actual job experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were working on a project that needed to be completed and your manager gives you another project that needs to be completed asap. What did you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Pretty simple interview process. Easy business questions and it's basically to just see if you're good with the public and can do basic math. nothing overly difficult since it's a job created for high school kids or retired citizens.

Interview Questions

• There were no overly difficult questions. the only question that was "situation based" was "What would your up-selling strategy be towards someone buying a cake?"   1 Answer

Pharmacy Interview

Interview

There were two phone screens, followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview is behavioral type questions with a panel of three interviewers. Be able to provide an example of skills, experiences, etc.

Interview Questions

• What was something you implemented or changed at previous job?   Answer Question