Safeway Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.3

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

I applied to Safeway not really know what to expect or do because I had just moved to another state. They gave me a pre interview on the phone. They told me I would be applying for the Deli Clerk. I go in for the actual interview and they told me they had just filled all other positions other then the courtesy clerk. (I have job experience in deli services and bakery services). They gave me the job as courtesy clerk and I took it because I really needed a job. They had more people come in for interviews and they gave them jobs for the deli and bakery. I went online to see if they were still hiring and they just posted a new job opening for bakery and deli.
    The interviewer told me to come in a few hours later to do some paper work. I went in, she made me wait a half hour. She told me to come in at a specific time a few days later for computer training, I went in, she told me to wait and then she told me I had to come back later. So I went in later and she left me on my own at the computer doing stupid training that was way to long. She then told me to go in the next day to meet with a manager, and I did. They made me wait half an hour again and then the manager didn't even know why I was there and what the interviewer wanted him to do.

This was the worst hiring process ever. Management didn't even care about the new hires and treated us like dirt.

I will definitely quit when I find a new job.

Interview Questions
    • If we asked a friend of yours, what would they say about you. (I hate these questions cause I am not my friend)   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

Applied online and a week later received a phone interview. Simple questions about past work experience and have I ever been arrested before. She said she would let me know in the next 48hours if I would be seen for a face to face interview or not. Got a call two days later for a face to face interview at a Pack N Save store. People were coming in and out for interviews. You wait for your name to be called then sit down at a table with a store manager while they ask you simple questions. Since I was applying for a new store they asked what position did I want. The pay for the cashier is $9.50 an hr and after the interview they offered me the position. Really, seem like everyone got hired since they are opening a new store in Alameda, CA. After that had to do a drug test right then and there with a mouth swab. I Passed and was told to come back the following week with papers (I.D. Social Security Card) to get started. I don't know what happened to the people that didn't pass the drug test. Simple interview, nothing to be nervous about.

Food Clerk/Cashier Interview

interviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

Phone interview followed by an in-person interview a few days later. After the interview, was asked to take a test. The first part of the test were math and cash register skills. The second part of the test was a personality assessment. If you do well on the skills test but don't match the personality traits they are looking for, they will say you're not qualified for the position. You have to pass the test to get the job, regardless of how the interview went.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you did not get along with a co-worker or classmate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in September 2014.

The first step is simple, apply online. After you do so go to the store, in which you are applying, and inform the hiring manager of your interest. This may require repeatedly talking to the hiring manager. If they are interested they will call for an informal phone interview, which will ask the same questions as the formal interview. Next they will schedule you for a formal interview, which takes about 10 minutes. Depending on the store they may give you a call in about a week, informing you that you have been offered the job. They will have you come in for paperwork to sign, a drug test with immediate results, and a background check which takes around a week, but can be longer. If both clear they will official put you on the schedule, where you will spend the first couple days on computer training and a 4 hour class explaining company policy. Once all of this is completed you will start your 30 day probation period.

Interview Questions
    • Tell the interviewer of a time you gave excellent customer service.   View Answer

Pharmacy Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Was notified via phone to set up an interview. First interview is with the store manager, then with the pharmacy manager. Got an offer within 2-3 days. There are about 10 hours of computer training you have to do. It's self paced and you can come in any time to do it. Then there's official training in the pharmacy.

Interview Questions
    • I was mostly asked about my goals for the future and how I would contribute to the company even though I was inexperienced.   Answer Question
    Didn't really try to get a better rate since I didn't have any experience.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Flagstaff, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Flagstaff, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

Had an interview today. Was off a paper like three pages. Situations and long-term goals. The interviewer was very nice but it seemed after the interview she kinda went into a mode of I'm not sure.pay was said for p/t is 7.90. It was interesting.

Interview Questions
    Negotiating on Thursday and see if I can up the pay.at least at 8.25 instead of 7.90

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

Interview process was pretty easy! They mostly just ask you basic questions about yourself and your job experience in customer service (if you have any). They also ask questions about what you would do in certain situations. After the interview, they will administer the drug test. If you pass, then you will most likely be hired unless something went really wrong or the interviewer feels that you`re not right for this job.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer wanted to buy a cake, what other 3 items would you recommend them to get with it?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in August 2014.

I applied online and they called me 3 days later. It was kind of awkward because they had the interview in the break room so there was a bunch of other people around. I got a call before the interview asking me some questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time that you resolved a disagreement with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Once they call you in for an interview you're basically guaranteed the position, so just don't say anything stupid. They don't even bother to write down your full response.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

Received a call from HR. Did phone interview with HR. After passing that onsite interview with hiring manager. Two people interviewed, mainly asked behavioral questions. Few technical questions, just to see your thinking process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for interns.