Safeway

2.2

General Liability Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway.

Applied online via the general careers website. Received a phone call around 2-3 weeks after for an interview. After the interview, was offered the position the day after. Three people were present, HR rep, manager of the department, and hiring manager. They had a list of questions that they have to go through and we went down the list during the interview process.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

I applied online for the position of Courtesy Clerk at Safeway. It is my first job and I am 16 years old. About a week or so later after applying I got an email from a guy at the Safeway headquarters to schedule a phone interview with him, which is with the company, not the actual store. So the next day he called and we went over the job responsibilities and he asked basic questions like if I have a criminal background, my age, and things like that. It's basically just confirming information on the application. Then he asked about a time I had to deal with a difficult person, and then a time when I helped out a person. He asked me to complete some sort of extended application online which he emailed me a link to. Then about two and a half weeks later I got a call from the assistant manager at the store to schedule an interview. I went in the next day (I wore a professional-looking dress and sandals, and I took out all of my piercings--just in case you want to know what to wear). She took me into a back room and told me the job responsibilities, pay, hours, and just confirmed a few things that the guy on the phone asked, like my birthday and any criminal background. Then the questions began: Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person? Why do you want to work here? What is a short-term goal of yours? What is a long-term goal of yours? What would a teacher of yours say about you? What would your best friend say about you? Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it? (That was the most unexpected, to which I answered candles, balloons, and cookies). We also made a little conversation, like about her daughter and things like that, which I think helped make a connection. So then she said that she was going to cut the interview short but that she liked me and thought I had good qualities and said that they needed more smart people working there (because I told her I have a 4.0 GPA) and so she hired me on the spot. She asked me for my drivers license and social security card, and I had to drive home really quick to get those things and I came back and she told me when to come in for training and paperwork! I'll also have to do a drug test and they will probably do a background check. She was very nice and professional and I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Say a customer comes in and wants to buy a birthday cake; what 3 items would you recommend for them to buy with it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I think some tips would be to make a connection and make eye contact, be interested in what they say and make your answers focus on the customers and business instead of yourself. Also, be confident!

Pharmacy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

The interview process began with a phone call from Safeway Corporate, which included Certification Verification and scheduling a phone interview.

A few days later, i received phone call from Safeway Corporate which included simple questions like, "With the recent changes in health care, where do you think the pharmacy field is going", and basic discussions about scheduling and company policies.

A few days later, i got called in for an interview at the Safeway Store. These interview questions were very similar to most job interviews. Ie. How is this position relative to your future career? Give an example of an experience dealing with an angry customer and how did you handle it? Are you able to multitask consistently?

In the end, i was offered the job via phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the Pharmacy field going in the future?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Baker Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

Just asked a few basic questions. Asked my job experience. Went over my resume. Talked about dealing with angry customers. She offered me the job on the spot and I took a drug test. It was the mouth swap test.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult but they asked me to pick a product and sell it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinleyville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinleyville, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in June 2014.

Applied online. Got the call for interview date a day later. Was given a drug test, and signed a consent form for background check. Drug test consisted of mouth swab test, and I had to do it twice because I was not able to produce enough saliva for the first test for some reason.

Interview Questions
    I was offered base minimum wage pay, with the intention that I would be moved up to cashier at some point.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

After submitting an online application I received an email offering an interview. There was a brief phone screening during which the specifics of the position were described to me and I had to answer questions about my experience. During that phone call I was able to schedule an in-person interview. I was asked a few straightforward questions in the interview and they offered me the job then. They did the drug screening and background check immediately.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to take on a coworker's responsibilities.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult person.   Answer Question

The commute was too long for me. Everything else about the position was fine.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Safeway.

First was a sreening interview over the phone, the a more formal phone interview with HR. After that I went in for a series of computer assesments, one was math, one was verbal, one was situational, and one was personality. then and in-person panel interview with a District Manager, a Director of HR, a Director of Training, a Director of Operations, and finally an in-person interview with the Vice President of Operations in which an offer was made on the spot.

Offered a salary during final interview, I came back with another offer. VP went to meet with Director of HR, came back with a reasonable offer in the middle.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway.

They first cantact you via telephone, it can be challenging if you don't catch them on the phone. They don't respond well to mesages left

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions from a list where the responses are written down   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   View Answer
    • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   View Answer
    • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Produce/Food Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

Basic Questions in a 4 person panel They were basically easy question they took turns asking them. Seemed a little un prepared and I thought this company only hired the best but I must have been wrong