Safeway Interview Questions

2.3

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in May 2011.

Reached out by exec recruiter. Had initial screen by exec recruiter, then hiring manager who was a VP. Went well, was pretty easy. Asked to go in for follow up in person interviews. Had one on ones with hiring manager, HR rep, and two directors. Was then asked to come back to meet with one more director and the SVP. Not sure what the purpose of this last round was, it wasn't particularly difficult. Questions were very situational, in fact they followed a script like nobody's business. Tell me about a time when you....

Interview Questions
    • If you could create a brand out of nothing what would you create.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was really good.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway in May 2014.

I applied online and got an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and short, with basic questions like "what is your biggest accomplishment?". The phone interview was to help the Safeway store I applied at to get through the interview process quicker. About a week later, I got an in person interview and it was a very easy basic interview. After the interview he informed me that I got the job and a background check and drug test will follow.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer came in wanting to a birthday cake for a birthday party, what else would you recommend them to get?   View Answer
    • Why do you you wanna work at Safeway?   View Answer
    • Have you ever had to take the responsibilities of another person and if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

no real job expierence needed just basic questions and answers job has more to do with being fast learner and havig sense of urgency plus cant get mad at ridicoulus work ethic

pay was too low

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Very laid back and easy to get accepted. They just ask you normal questions about yourself and then give you a drug test and that is all. The hiring staff seems as though they need to get back to work and end the interview as quickly as they can.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations just yes or no.

Safeway - Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Safeway in November 2010.

I was called in for an interview. Not many questions were asked. They did want to clarify that I was completely available. Also, the other important part to them, was the drug test which is done right away.

Interview Questions
    That I would be hired on as Barista, but, also be trained for the deli. I applied for barista, but, they needed help in the deli. So the negotiation was that I would fill in at the deli when needed.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Safeway.

They first cantact you via telephone, it can be challenging if you don't catch them on the phone. They don't respond well to mesages left

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions from a list where the responses are written down   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway.

First was a sreening interview over the phone, the a more formal phone interview with HR. After that I went in for a series of computer assesments, one was math, one was verbal, one was situational, and one was personality. then and in-person panel interview with a District Manager, a Director of HR, a Director of Training, a Director of Operations, and finally an in-person interview with the Vice President of Operations in which an offer was made on the spot.

Offered a salary during final interview, I came back with another offer. VP went to meet with Director of HR, came back with a reasonable offer in the middle.

Customer Service Clerk Interview

Personal contact with the store manager is essential for success, even though the initial application process is performed online. This is true with most jobs; if one wants the job they can't just sit at home in their pajama's and expect success. Dress appropriately for the position one is seeking and have an "I can do" attitude. This is a high energy position and one needs to have a high energy attitude. Remember when going to speak with someone that the customers come first; check which days of the week one goes into talk about a job. Saturday afternoons or the dinner hours are not the time to be seeking a manager to speak with.

Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway in December 2010.

Went to a job fair. Got hired on the spot.

Bookkeeper/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Safeway in May 2013.

Quick 10 minute interview, then if you pass that you take a quick drug test(saliva). If all goes well, you are called in for an orientation that includes Safeway ethics and a Safety orientation.

The process is pretty painless. However, once you get the job you will understand the term "cattle call" that is used by the hiring folks. Training is a complete joke and then they are quick to write you up for your mistakes due to lack of proper training. Don't get me started on their threats about meal violations, they threaten you and threaten you and then write you up constantly. They don't care if you are working with a customer, punch out on time or be fired. Nice huh?

No negotiation, you get what they want to give you. It's below poverty pay.