Safeway Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.3

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call 3 days later. I arrived 10 minutes early and was led to an office where the interview was to be had. The interview questions were very basic such as "why do you want to work here?", short/long term goals, and qualities that you previous employer would point out about you. It was a fairly easy/average interview. After the interview, you take a drug test. If you pass this you are almost guaranteed the job unless you do something stupid.

Interview Questions

• None really. All questions were self explanatory and easy to answer   Answer Question

Baker II Lakewood Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Lakewood, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

The Phoenix office gave initial phone screen. Head Clerk at retail store schedule the interview a week later and advised (at end of interview) expect callback following week if successful or no response if not. Internal disconnect between Phoenix and Lakewood on urgency to fill position. Entire process was approximately two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected Question: How do you handle a disagreement.   1 Answer

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of questions, everyone gets the same questions, and you're allowed to ask a few of the panel. They pertain to financial acumen, using mixed data sources, dealing with problematic team members, an example of a unique business solution you've created, and one other I can't remember.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used financial acumen to discover a problem and make a recommendation.   1 Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (Reno, NV) in November 2014.

Interview

Terrible process. I have 12 years experience working in a grocery store and they didn't even call me for an interview I had to call HR to get screened. Once I passed that they told me there was an opening for a cashier position. I went to the interview and the Young, unfriendly, HR girl told me all the openings for cashier had been filled. They offered me a courtesy clerk position paying 7.25 an hr after I have experience as a 3rd key manager, and a college degree. I was told they only are offering entry level positions. To top it off the next day I see a posting for a front end cashier position at the same store. Something is seriously wrong the hiring process at Safeway. Don't go there unless you want minimum wage.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't ask any questions other than what is your name?   Answer Question

They don't pay you what you are worth and can careless what experience you have.

ESC Processor I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

I remember sitting with at least 3 other people in the interview. They were the ones asking me the questions in regards to my past work experience and what the future would be for me at Safeway.

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Safeway (Colorado Springs, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online; got an invitation for a pre-screen interview. During the pre-screen interview I was informed that this is a minimum wage job with varying hours, no less than 20 per week but up to 40. Since the business need varies from store to store, I opted to go to a face-to-face interview. The assistant store manager was very nice and professional, she indicated that she would like to put me to the top of the hiring recommendations to the store manager, but also saw my hesitation due to the lack of consistent hours, wage level (were looking for experience but only paid minimum wage). What really got to me is that if I would have applied as a cashier, I would still not be guaranteed 40 hours a week, but would have a starting wage of more than one dollar more that minimum wage.
    After consideration I declined to go further in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example for when you dealt with an 'difficult' customer.   1 Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway in November 2014.

Interview

The interview takes place in the office next to the messy break room, which is sparsely populated with surly unfriendly future co-workers who don't look up or smile. In the office there is a bank of monitors and associated wiring and humming boxes, showing various views around the store where customers might be in need of observance. The video is fuzzy and cheap looking, but a somewhat shocking reminder of our constant lack of privacy in the modern world. The "person in charge" is friendly and relaxed, to the point of yelling at an employee in the break room about an unpleasant odor that she detected, without worrying about the perceptions of her present company--the job seeker. The questions are your standard corporate questions read from a loose leaf notebook, with your answers jotted down as you search your heart for the response they would like to hear. Basically, will you give yourself heart and soul to the company at all hours day and night, weekends and holidays, and ask nothing in return? At some point you are notified that the position is part-time on-call, and that the hourly wage is 10 cents over minimum (company policy) and that you will be required to join the union and pay monthly dues for the privilege. Also that any increase in salary is based on time served and not merit, so no incentive to strain yourself trying to outperform anyone. You will be notified within a week if you dodged a bullet or got the job, and someone from corporate will email you or call to find out how the interview went. --Also, Safeway never forgets. So if you were ever fired or if anyone in the past has had an issue with your attitude or performance, you are exiled forever from the glorious company that is Safeway.

Interview Questions

• Somebody comes in looking for a birthday candle, what are three other items you pester them about buying?   1 Answer

Floral Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Junction, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Grand Junction, CO).

Interview

Very unprofessional , the assistant store manager had no idea about benefits nor the union. They had to have a floral employee explain the job specifications. We were interrupted every 10 minutes by other employees knocking on the door asking questions about their break, over rings , complaints about other employees.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Interview

pleasant and informative. predictable questions and very straight forward. met with pharmacy manager and one of the store supervisor or managers. took about 30 minutes. showed me the process of the pharmacy and what kinds of situations to expect from customers. explained what was expected of the employee and how to address certain issues. the rules and laws involving pharmacy law and safeway regulations and policies.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Applied online, then about one week later was telephoned to set up an interview time. The interview was brief, primarily focused on availability, reliable transportation and customer service skills. Drug test was taken same day via oral swab.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of resolving a difficult situation with an upset customer.   1 Answer