Safeway Interview Questions in Pleasanton, CA

Updated May 26, 2015

2.9

Any Position Available Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

Casual, met with a hiring manager, and did a on the spot drug test. I mean you have to smell like alcohol, come in your pajamas, or fail the drug test to no get hired.

Interview Questions

• What Would make me a good employee? Why do you want to work at Safeway? Are there any days you cant work?   1 Answer

Department Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had two people that interviewed me. Each of them asked me about two questions. The interview lasted about twenty-two minutes. One interviewer at the end was more inclined to talk to me about the upcoming NFL playoffs, than focusing on my answers for the interview. I was rushed and I felt that the interviewers were going through the motions of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had to deliver bad news to upper management regarding a project. What was the outcome   Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of questions, everyone gets the same questions, and you're allowed to ask a few of the panel. They pertain to financial acumen, using mixed data sources, dealing with problematic team members, an example of a unique business solution you've created, and one other I can't remember.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used financial acumen to discover a problem and make a recommendation.   1 Answer

Applications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

(corporate it, AppDev) The interview process for most of Safeway (seeing this also after being hired) is non-standardized, haphazard, and typically a small group free-for-all. It should be easy to land a job, since most questions are not technical and they are really just looking for someone who can talk about the technologies, not necessarily know them. Many are hired off the phone or from resume.

Interview Questions

• The difficulty was the fact the questions I was asked were by people who did not know technology, per se, and did not understand the answers (nor the questions, I think). I had to explain the answers to them and whiteboard them as they had a completely different view and preconception as to what the answer was. This happened FOUR TIMES!

In the group interview (5 people in a room all asking questions) there was also one call-in. The connection was terrible and I could barely understand. This interviewer was noticeably upset that I could not answer and was the only one to give a "thumbs down". There was also a communications issue (language) which I don't blame anyone for except Safeway. They should have had this person in the room or ensured a proper connection.

Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay low. If they personally like you, you will get more. Some are willing to add a bonus because they can't bump you above their highly controlled pay scale policy--the only really standardized and controlled policy (along with dress code).

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

My interview was over 8 years ago so the process has changed a little, but Safeway interviews are very stressful. They ask regular interview questions and technical questions. They want all answers to be geared toward their ACT policy. Make sure to use specifics and keep describe the situation, what you did, did it work, why you chose to do it, and what you learned.

Interview Questions

• I don't know specifics as it has been over 8 years since I interviewed for my position.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Pleasant and they made you feel comfortable. They described the what was going to happen. They took the time to listen to you and re-clarified their questions. I didn't sense any arrogance or "You are wasting my time attitude" during the interview process.

Manager, Video Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

HR Representative called to do a phone screen and then a second call to set up interveiw date and time. Interveiw was conducted with HR Rep and hiring manager. It was a behavioral based interview with 5 questions. All applicants were given the exact same questions to answer and had to give a specific example along with how the situation was handled, thinking behind the decisions made along with the learnings and takeways.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to make someone do something they did not want to do.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was already working as a temporary employee with Safeway and saw the position opening on the internal website. Seeing as how I had access to the HR reps information I contacted them and asked for the Hiring managers name. Soon as I got the hiring managers name I contacted them for a meet n greet to talk about the position. From there I was offered a formal interview where I was asked about my background, experience, and skills etc. The whole process took about a month before being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• All pretty basic questions about skills related to the position. Having knowledge of Safeway's systems really helped. Questions like name a time you had a problem and fixed it or were overwhelmed with work and how did you accomplish everything?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate because I had no experience as a financial analyst but I was happy with the raise I got from the position I previously had

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Really easy and laid back. I had no work experience going in and they just wanted to know how I plan to benefit the store. They wanted to make sure that I could work as a team with other workers and provide valuable customer service. They ask you to tell them about yourself and if you will work hard.

Interview Questions

I received a more valuable job opportunity elsewhere

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Phone screening, in person interview, and referrals. There was confusion in communicating the location of the in person interview. Be sure to get there 30-45 minutes early to ensure you are in the right building. Interviewers were patient, made sure you answered every question they were asking. Clarified questions too. Also open to answering any questions at the end of the interview. Great at following up after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions: Name a time when you displayed...   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A