Safeway Interview Questions in Pleasanton, CA

2.9

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

(corporate it, AppDev) The interview process for most of Safeway (seeing this also after being hired) is non-standardized, haphazard, and typically a small group free-for-all. It should be easy to land a job, since most questions are not technical and they are really just looking for someone who can talk about the technologies, not necessarily know them. Many are hired off the phone or from resume.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty was the fact the questions I was asked were by people who did not know technology, per se, and did not understand the answers (nor the questions, I think). I had to explain the answers to them and whiteboard them as they had a completely different view and preconception as to what the answer was. This happened FOUR TIMES!

In the group interview (5 people in a room all asking questions) there was also one call-in. The connection was terrible and I could barely understand. This interviewer was noticeably upset that I could not answer and was the only one to give a "thumbs down". There was also a communications issue (language) which I don't blame anyone for except Safeway. They should have had this person in the room or ensured a proper connection.
        Answer Question
    They pay low. If they personally like you, you will get more. Some are willing to add a bonus because they can't bump you above their highly controlled pay scale policy--the only really standardized and controlled policy (along with dress code).

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in January 2014.

Really easy and laid back. I had no work experience going in and they just wanted to know how I plan to benefit the store. They wanted to make sure that I could work as a team with other workers and provide valuable customer service. They ask you to tell them about yourself and if you will work hard.

Interview Questions

I received a more valuable job opportunity elsewhere

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in February 2011.

I heard about a Job Fair for the new Castro Valley Store that Safeway was opening. So I decided to go down and check it out. I stood in a long line waiting to get interviewed. Once I got in I attended an information session as to what we should expect working at Safeway. Finally when I was called I entered room with many other potential new hires, and had a 1:1 interview. The questions were very easy. I just smiled a lot, and answered the questions thoroughly. Afterwards he had me take a drug test, which meant I was getting hired If I based the drug test which I did. After that they said they would run a background check and let me know when I can start.

Safeway (Food Clerk) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

Interviewed with one person after submitting my resume. I had a college degree and lots of work experience with brand-name companies. I enjoyed interviewing with Safeway. Unlike many companies; Safeway did not make me fill-out a lot of paperwork until I was scheduled for an interview. Safeway did drug-testing. Safeway was welcoming upon hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a customer was dissatisfied and you solved the problem and made the customer happy.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation because I was very happy with the salary offered.

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

My interview was over 8 years ago so the process has changed a little, but Safeway interviews are very stressful. They ask regular interview questions and technical questions. They want all answers to be geared toward their ACT policy. Make sure to use specifics and keep describe the situation, what you did, did it work, why you chose to do it, and what you learned.

Interview Questions
    • I don't know specifics as it has been over 8 years since I interviewed for my position.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway in March 2014.

I was already working as a temporary employee with Safeway and saw the position opening on the internal website. Seeing as how I had access to the HR reps information I contacted them and asked for the Hiring managers name. Soon as I got the hiring managers name I contacted them for a meet n greet to talk about the position. From there I was offered a formal interview where I was asked about my background, experience, and skills etc. The whole process took about a month before being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty basic questions about skills related to the position. Having knowledge of Safeway's systems really helped. Questions like name a time you had a problem and fixed it or were overwhelmed with work and how did you accomplish everything?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because I had no experience as a financial analyst but I was happy with the raise I got from the position I previously had

Broadcast Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in March 2010.

Safeway conducts behavior style interviews. Interview questions for the initial round are created by HR. If chosen for the second round the hiring manager can ask questions related to skills and job responsibilities. The culture if very conservative and traditional so where a tie even if you are a designer.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question. "Tell me a time when you had to use your charm."   Answer Question
    HR did not negotiate. I was currently a contractor and basically I could take it or leave it. Contract rate doubled the full-time rate. I offered to decline health benefits, but they declined.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in May 2011.

Reached out by exec recruiter. Had initial screen by exec recruiter, then hiring manager who was a VP. Went well, was pretty easy. Asked to go in for follow up in person interviews. Had one on ones with hiring manager, HR rep, and two directors. Was then asked to come back to meet with one more director and the SVP. Not sure what the purpose of this last round was, it wasn't particularly difficult. Questions were very situational, in fact they followed a script like nobody's business. Tell me about a time when you....

Interview Questions
    • If you could create a brand out of nothing what would you create.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was really good.

Manager, Video Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway.

HR Representative called to do a phone screen and then a second call to set up interveiw date and time. Interveiw was conducted with HR Rep and hiring manager. It was a behavioral based interview with 5 questions. All applicants were given the exact same questions to answer and had to give a specific example along with how the situation was handled, thinking behind the decisions made along with the learnings and takeways.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to make someone do something they did not want to do.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Safeway in May 2012.

Group. Had list of prepared questions. Not too technical.

Interview Questions

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!