Safeway

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Development Interview

Applications Development
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – (corporate it, AppDev) The interview process for most of Safeway (seeing this also after being hired) is non-standardized, haphazard, and typically a small group free-for-all. It should be easy to land a job, since most questions are not technical and they are really just looking for someone who can talk about the technologies, not necessarily know them. Many are hired off the phone or from resume.

Interview Question – The difficulty was the fact the questions I was asked were by people who did not know technology, per se, and did not understand the answers (nor the questions, I think). I had to explain the answers to them and whiteboard them as they had a completely different view and preconception as to what the answer was. This happened FOUR TIMES!

In the group interview (5 people in a room all asking questions) there was also one call-in. The connection was terrible and I could barely understand. This interviewer was noticeably upset that I could not answer and was the only one to give a "thumbs down". There was also a communications issue (language) which I don't blame anyone for except Safeway. They should have had this person in the room or ensured a proper connection.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay low. If they personally like you, you will get more. Some are willing to add a bonus because they can't bump you above their highly controlled pay scale policy--the only really standardized and controlled policy (along with dress code).

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in January 2014.

Interview Details – Really easy and laid back. I had no work experience going in and they just wanted to know how I plan to benefit the store. They wanted to make sure that I could work as a team with other workers and provide valuable customer service. They ask you to tell them about yourself and if you will work hard.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in ten years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a more valuable job opportunity elsewhere

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Safeway in February 2011.

Interview Details – I heard about a Job Fair for the new Castro Valley Store that Safeway was opening. So I decided to go down and check it out. I stood in a long line waiting to get interviewed. Once I got in I attended an information session as to what we should expect working at Safeway. Finally when I was called I entered room with many other potential new hires, and had a 1:1 interview. The questions were very easy. I just smiled a lot, and answered the questions thoroughly. Afterwards he had me take a drug test, which meant I was getting hired If I based the drug test which I did. After that they said they would run a background check and let me know when I can start.

Interview Question – I don't remember, my interview was very easy.   Answer Question

Safeway (Food Clerk) Interview

Safeway (Food Clerk)
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one person after submitting my resume. I had a college degree and lots of work experience with brand-name companies. I enjoyed interviewing with Safeway. Unlike many companies; Safeway did not make me fill-out a lot of paperwork until I was scheduled for an interview. Safeway did drug-testing. Safeway was welcoming upon hiring.

Interview Question – Describe a time when a customer was dissatisfied and you solved the problem and made the customer happy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation because I was very happy with the salary offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II Interview

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – My interview was over 8 years ago so the process has changed a little, but Safeway interviews are very stressful. They ask regular interview questions and technical questions. They want all answers to be geared toward their ACT policy. Make sure to use specifics and keep describe the situation, what you did, did it work, why you chose to do it, and what you learned.

Interview Question – I don't know specifics as it has been over 8 years since I interviewed for my position.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Pleasanton, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Safeway in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was already working as a temporary employee with Safeway and saw the position opening on the internal website. Seeing as how I had access to the HR reps information I contacted them and asked for the Hiring managers name. Soon as I got the hiring managers name I contacted them for a meet n greet to talk about the position. From there I was offered a formal interview where I was asked about my background, experience, and skills etc. The whole process took about a month before being offered the position.

Interview Question – All pretty basic questions about skills related to the position. Having knowledge of Safeway's systems really helped. Questions like name a time you had a problem and fixed it or were overwhelmed with work and how did you accomplish everything?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because I had no experience as a financial analyst but I was happy with the raise I got from the position I previously had

Broadcast Administrator Interview

Broadcast Administrator
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in March 2010.

Interview Details – Safeway conducts behavior style interviews. Interview questions for the initial round are created by HR. If chosen for the second round the hiring manager can ask questions related to skills and job responsibilities. The culture if very conservative and traditional so where a tie even if you are a designer.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question. "Tell me a time when you had to use your charm."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR did not negotiate. I was currently a contractor and basically I could take it or leave it. Contract rate doubled the full-time rate. I offered to decline health benefits, but they declined.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Safeway in May 2011.

Interview Details – Reached out by exec recruiter. Had initial screen by exec recruiter, then hiring manager who was a VP. Went well, was pretty easy. Asked to go in for follow up in person interviews. Had one on ones with hiring manager, HR rep, and two directors. Was then asked to come back to meet with one more director and the SVP. Not sure what the purpose of this last round was, it wasn't particularly difficult. Questions were very situational, in fact they followed a script like nobody's business. Tell me about a time when you....

Interview Question – If you could create a brand out of nothing what would you create.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offer was really good.

Manager, Video Production Interview

Manager, Video Production
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway.

Interview Details – HR Representative called to do a phone screen and then a second call to set up interveiw date and time. Interveiw was conducted with HR Rep and hiring manager. It was a behavioral based interview with 5 questions. All applicants were given the exact same questions to answer and had to give a specific example along with how the situation was handled, thinking behind the decisions made along with the learnings and takeways.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had to make someone do something they did not want to do.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Safeway in May 2012.

Interview Details – Group. Had list of prepared questions. Not too technical.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Safeway

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway interview questions and advice in Pleasanton, CA. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees and interview candidates.