Safeway Interview Questions in Portland, OR

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Beaverton, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

We sat down and had a chat about my likes, dislikes, what I'm doing in school, why I enjoyed previous jobs and why I didn't. I had applied for all open positions, and due to my past work experience, I was offered a job in the Deli. My interviewer was the floral manager and a customer service rep and she was very laid back and nice. I was open about who I am and why I thought I'd make a good fit, and she apparently agreed as she zealously offered me a position right away.

Pharmacy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone call from Safeway Corporate, which included Certification Verification and scheduling a phone interview.

A few days later, i received phone call from Safeway Corporate which included simple questions like, "With the recent changes in health care, where do you think the pharmacy field is going", and basic discussions about scheduling and company policies.

A few days later, i got called in for an interview at the Safeway Store. These interview questions were very similar to most job interviews. Ie. How is this position relative to your future career? Give an example of an experience dealing with an angry customer and how did you handle it? Are you able to multitask consistently?

In the end, i was offered the job via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see the Pharmacy field going in the future?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

Get to the store ten to fifteen minutes early. Ask for the person interviewing you at the self-checkout or customer service desk. The person will be notified promptly; you will most likely be directed to a seat in the cafe or at Starbucks. The recruiter will come out and either lead you into a back office or take a seat across from you in the cafe.

Take initiative by starting the conversation. The interview will go better if you show initiative from the get-go. Try something simple, like "How is your day going?" if the recruiter is male. If the recruiter is female, compliment her. In any case, make sure YOU ask the first question!

Don't be afraid to show your (appropriate) funny bone, especially if you are applying for a job that involves dealing with lots of people.

The Safeway interview is quite standard from location to location. If you don't get a job at one location, try the next. You will already know the usual Safeway specific questions and have had time to think about how to better answer them.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict."   1 Answer
    • "Suppose a customer buys a birthday cake. Give me three items to go along with that birthday cake."   1 Answer

I was hired by another company before Safeway had a chance to call me back. I only got as far as a one-on-one interview, so I do not know what happens after the one-on-one interview.

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in March 2013.

Interview

I began the process with an online application as well as submitting my resume. In around a week I received a call to come in for an interview. While I was early for my interview, my interviewer was twenty minutes late and seemed to be under stress. Immediately upon starting the interview, she gave me a sheet with my potential job description and pay rate, which despite my extensive prior experience as a Starbucks barista was still 50 cents less than my last job as a barista. Despite having submitted my professional resume detailing my work history (and college degree), the interviewer had not read my resume and was unaware at my previous job as a barista.

I was asked basic retail questions such as "How would you handle a conflict with a colleague," or "How would you handle an upset customer?" Just two days after completion of the interview, I received a call back from the same interviewer, offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Due to the nature of the job, the questions were fairly straightforward and unsurprising; however, I was caught off guard by one simple question: "If someone came to the bakery and ordered a cake, what would you suggest they also buy?" It is a simple question, but I wasn't expecting it, so I stumbled over my answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't negotiation; I was told what the flat rate for my position was, rather than getting the chance to explain what my salary requirements were.

Food Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Tigard, OR) in January 2013.

Interview

The hiring process has changed since I was hired because each store does there own hiring for there individuals needs for each store.

Interview Questions

• The policy that you did not agree and how did you get others to have buy in on the policy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in February 2012.

Interview

I was called on a Sunday at 10AM and asked if I could come in later that afternoon. I agreed and came in and we sat in the eating area of the deli at the Pearl location of Safeway. The questions were basic and she said to make them brief, even though it was almost not possible to keep them brief. She said I was over qualified and that if was hired in the deli that I would not have a chance to move up, which was okay with me this was not a career for me. I called back 2 days later to check in and she said that they chose another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked with a team to accomplish something?   Answer Question

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Tough Competition! Seniority of more than 19 years with Safeway trumped my 7 years combined. Safeway is famous for 'Tell me about a time when..."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...   1 Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Safeway (Beaverton, OR) in January 2010.

Interview

Very easy interview process. Consisted of basic questions to get a knowledge of who you are and how you deal with certain situations.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in July 2008.

Interview

First i met my employer. They asked me questioned concerning costumer service then asked if i could came back in a the nest couple days.