Safeway Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

1.6

Baker II Lakewood Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Safeway in December 2014.

The Phoenix office gave initial phone screen. Head Clerk at retail store schedule the interview a week later and advised (at end of interview) expect callback following week if successful or no response if not. Internal disconnect between Phoenix and Lakewood on urgency to fill position. Entire process was approximately two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: How do you handle a disagreement.   View Answer

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway.

Typical interview questions, like what skills do you have to do the job your applying for, want to know previous experience, open availability is critical, why you want to work for
    Safeway, also drug test is required

None

Safeway - Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in August 2013.

I applied online a few times over the course of a year and got a call back. I was rather desperate for a job in high school so I applied to all open positions. The hiring manager called me back to interview for produce, and in that interview she asked if there were any other store positions I would be interested in. I asked about Starbucks because I know the brand like the back of my hand, and she informed me that although there was no posting on the website, there was an opening in the Starbucks Kiosk and she told me that she would give me a call back. About 4 days later she called me back to go through the hiring process. For the Starbucks kiosk, there are some specific questions that they require licensees to answer. One was "What is your favorite Starbucks drink?" "Name a time that a fellow employee was doing something wrong or against policy, and how you handled it" and a few others.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time that a fellow employee was doing something wrong or against policy, and how you handled it"   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. They tell you the base pay, and ask if you are interested. If you decline the offer for the amount, you won't get the job. There is no negotiation.

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in May 2013.

It's always about who you know. Interview process was fairly simple. It wasn't a formal interview by any standard... I talked with the manager for a little while, and an assistant manager for about 30 minutes and afterwards they had me fill out a paper with some comon interview questions on it. After that it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question if you can call it that would probably have been
       " Give an example of a time when you settled a workplace dispute"

View Answer
    Make sure you get to at least talk with some of the people you're going to be working with before you start so you don't end up having trouble.

Journeyman Food Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in November 2012.

It's been a while since I was interviewed, but if I recall correctly the interview process was mostly to assess my communication abilities, if I had dealt with difficult customers in the past, how I had risen to the occasion to help a customer who was upset or experiencing some level of challenge.

The interviewer checked with me to make sure I would be capable of memorizing produce codes, and how I was at cash handling, if I'd had experience working a register before.

They also end it by making sure that you are willing to join the union, because as a union store, if you do not you will be terminated at the end of your 90 day trial period.

Then, if you have been selected as a possible hire, they will give you a drug test which you must pass in order to be hired.

It was all very straight forward and simple.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel any difficulty towards the questions.   View Answer
    They tell you that they start off at minimum wage, and that you get a raise based upon the union rules for your contract. Then they check to make sure you are okay with joining the union, as you have to if you want to work there. Then if all of that is good, they will start your training.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway in September 2012.

I applied online and it was a very simple process. I did submit a resume, but it was almost not worth looking at.
    I missed a call from the interviewer and hurried to call her back, about 30 min after she left a message. She wanted to see me as soon as possible, so we arranged a meeting for the next day in the late morning.
    I went in there dressed in my nicest clothes* (dress shirt, khaki pants, black dress shoes) and sat down, somewhat nervous about the interview. As soon as I saw how simple the questions were and how friendly and laid back the lady was, it was a piece of cake.
    After I filled out the questionnaires** and answered the rest of her questions, she basically told me I got the job. She said there were three openings***, and asked which one I would want. Of course I had to choose the worst one.

Next came the drug test, which I must admit was kind of scary for me. I had recently quit smoking bud**** (AKA marijuana) about a week before the interview, but I was worried it hadn't been long enough. It had definitely been long enough. It was just an oral swab test, so I had to suck on a foam cylinder, which tasted like sour apples, until it was fully saturated. Apparently you can pass this test even if you've done drugs a couple days prior. My old coworker said he had been smoking copious amounts of hash in the days leading up to his drug test. He only stopped the night before the interview, and obviously he passed the test.

After the drug test I had to run home and grab my ID, social security number, and routing number (if you want to be paid via electronic deposit). Be sure to bring your ID and have your social security number memorized or on hand before the interview.

If you got an interview, you will almost definitely be hired. Congrats! But not really, it's a horrible job.
    Almost every person I've seen walk in for an interview has started working here shortly after. Most of the interviewers have to drive to the store from another location, and they really hate doing that! The job is yours as long as you have a clean appearance and can answer their questions in English.

Notes:
    * I wasn't sure what to wear, but decided that dressing as conservative as possible could only help.

** Questions included, "What would your old teachers say about you as a student?"; "What would your previous employer say about you as an employee?" "What are the most important aspects of customer service?"

*** I was offered a job as a courtesy clerk, helper clerk, or produce clerk. Definitely should've taken the job as produce clerk. I asked which one would give the most hours, and blindly went with that. Next best would've been helper clerk. Absolutely avoid being a courtesy clerk at all costs! The only benefit is that it makes you more sociable, and you get to meet just about everyone in the store.
    I am thankful for my time as a courtesy clerk because it's given me a better familiarity with the store as a whole and the employees who run it than I would've realized in any other position. Otherwise it's a horrible, horrible job.

**** I must add that this was due to personal reasons (the drive to be more productive with my life) ...not in preparation for drug tests or anything.

Interview Questions
    • What else might you suggest to someone who's buying a birthday cake?

The answers seem so obvious after you hear them, but it's so easy to over think this one.

View Answer
    • Give examples of the qualities of good customer service   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Had one in-person interview that took about 10 min before it was cut short and was decided to hire me on the spot after a simple drug test. After being hired, had to go through 8 hours of computer training of the course of 2 or 3 days. Whichever you prefer.

Interview Questions
    • What were your jobs duties at your previous job as a cashier?   Answer Question

Jamba Juice Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in April 2012.

Applied online through the Safeway website for the DELI CLERK position, called a week later to follow up (I suggest this because they just scroll right pass applications on the computer, you want to stand out!). Asked if the position was still available, the hiring manager then scheduled me to come in for an interview the next day. Came in the next day, waited almost 30 minutes for the hiring manager to come out and talk to me. While I was waiting, the Jamba Juice manager came over to talk to me, asked what position I was interviewing for and suggested I work for him at the Jamba Kiosk. During the interview with the hiring manager, he told me the hours I was available for work did not meet the Deli's needs. So I suggested the Jamba Juice position and he gladly said sure! He asked questions that were straight from paper and jotted down my answers. A week later, the hiring manager called me to come in for a second interview to fill out some paperwork and information to get me hired. Also did a mouth swab drug test and results are shown 2 mins later. Then I was hired!

No negotiation, 9.18 here in Seattle, WA

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in March 2012.

Filled out the online application and was contacted by the hiring manager at a branch (different than the specific one I applied for). We spent about 30 minutes going over my work history and then was told I would have to pass a drug test and join the Union.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Received a better offer at a different cafe

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in March 2012.

I started a personality test as soon as I walked into their office and started signing paperwork right after that, without an interview.