Safeway Interview Questions & Reviews in Seattle, WA

1.7

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

Had one in-person interview that took about 10 min before it was cut short and was decided to hire me on the spot after a simple drug test. After being hired, had to go through 8 hours of computer training of the course of 2 or 3 days. Whichever you prefer.

Interview Questions
    • What were your jobs duties at your previous job as a cashier?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway.

Typical interview questions, like what skills do you have to do the job your applying for, want to know previous experience, open availability is critical, why you want to work for
    Safeway, also drug test is required

None

Safeway - Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bothell, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in August 2013.

I applied online a few times over the course of a year and got a call back. I was rather desperate for a job in high school so I applied to all open positions. The hiring manager called me back to interview for produce, and in that interview she asked if there were any other store positions I would be interested in. I asked about Starbucks because I know the brand like the back of my hand, and she informed me that although there was no posting on the website, there was an opening in the Starbucks Kiosk and she told me that she would give me a call back. About 4 days later she called me back to go through the hiring process. For the Starbucks kiosk, there are some specific questions that they require licensees to answer. One was "What is your favorite Starbucks drink?" "Name a time that a fellow employee was doing something wrong or against policy, and how you handled it" and a few others.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time that a fellow employee was doing something wrong or against policy, and how you handled it"   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. They tell you the base pay, and ask if you are interested. If you decline the offer for the amount, you won't get the job. There is no negotiation.

Baker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Marysville, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Safeway in June 2011.

The hiring process was pretty simple. They asked a few generic questions, but it was clear that they only cared about two things. One, that I was responsible/reliable and two being that I would be willing to work a grave yard shift. I was hired within 10 minutes of the interview and spent the rest of the time filling out paperwork and doing a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were in a conflict with a co worker? How would you resolve the conflict without it affecting your work?   Answer Question

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Safeway in May 2013.

It's always about who you know. Interview process was fairly simple. It wasn't a formal interview by any standard... I talked with the manager for a little while, and an assistant manager for about 30 minutes and afterwards they had me fill out a paper with some comon interview questions on it. After that it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question if you can call it that would probably have been
       " Give an example of a time when you settled a workplace dispute"
        View Answer
    Make sure you get to at least talk with some of the people you're going to be working with before you start so you don't end up having trouble.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monroe, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Safeway in August 2010.

I was called after a week of turning in my application online. They wanted me to come in for an interview right then, and seemed insulted when I said i was unable to. We scheduled the interview for the next day, and the girl who interviewed me was very nice but seemed much more nervous than I was. The questions were your basic questions, and I didn't have much to respond with, with this being my first job and first interview. They didn't offer me the job, but did a drug test right there and had me fill out paperwork and was told to come back the next day. I was never officially offered the job, so I was unsure if I was coming in to work or for a second interview. Turns out I was hired and was coming in for training. Very quick and not very structured.

None.

Helper Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in September 2011.

I applied online and got a phone call the next week. Went in, the supervisor was really cool, and all he did was ask me a few questions, did a drug test, and hired me.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too unexpected. One question was "A woman comes in to buy a cake for someone's birthday. What two things do you suggest she might get as well?"   Answer Question
    He said "You want the job?"
    I said "Yes, sir!"

That was it.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Safeway in March 2012.

I started a personality test as soon as I walked into their office and started signing paperwork right after that, without an interview.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bothell, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Safeway in September 2012.

I applied online and it was a very simple process. I did submit a resume, but it was almost not worth looking at.
    I missed a call from the interviewer and hurried to call her back, about 30 min after she left a message. She wanted to see me as soon as possible, so we arranged a meeting for the next day in the late morning.
    I went in there dressed in my nicest clothes* (dress shirt, khaki pants, black dress shoes) and sat down, somewhat nervous about the interview. As soon as I saw how simple the questions were and how friendly and laid back the lady was, it was a piece of cake.
    After I filled out the questionnaires** and answered the rest of her questions, she basically told me I got the job. She said there were three openings***, and asked which one I would want. Of course I had to choose the worst one.

Next came the drug test, which I must admit was kind of scary for me. I had recently quit smoking bud**** (AKA marijuana) about a week before the interview, but I was worried it hadn't been long enough. It had definitely been long enough. It was just an oral swab test, so I had to suck on a foam cylinder, which tasted like sour apples, until it was fully saturated. Apparently you can pass this test even if you've done drugs a couple days prior. My old coworker said he had been smoking copious amounts of hash in the days leading up to his drug test. He only stopped the night before the interview, and obviously he passed the test.

After the drug test I had to run home and grab my ID, social security number, and routing number (if you want to be paid via electronic deposit). Be sure to bring your ID and have your social security number memorized or on hand before the interview.

If you got an interview, you will almost definitely be hired. Congrats! But not really, it's a horrible job.
    Almost every person I've seen walk in for an interview has started working here shortly after. Most of the interviewers have to drive to the store from another location, and they really hate doing that! The job is yours as long as you have a clean appearance and can answer their questions in English.

Notes:
    * I wasn't sure what to wear, but decided that dressing as conservative as possible could only help.

** Questions included, "What would your old teachers say about you as a student?"; "What would your previous employer say about you as an employee?" "What are the most important aspects of customer service?"

*** I was offered a job as a courtesy clerk, helper clerk, or produce clerk. Definitely should've taken the job as produce clerk. I asked which one would give the most hours, and blindly went with that. Next best would've been helper clerk. Absolutely avoid being a courtesy clerk at all costs! The only benefit is that it makes you more sociable, and you get to meet just about everyone in the store.
    I am thankful for my time as a courtesy clerk because it's given me a better familiarity with the store as a whole and the employees who run it than I would've realized in any other position. Otherwise it's a horrible, horrible job.

**** I must add that this was due to personal reasons (the drive to be more productive with my life) ...not in preparation for drug tests or anything.

Interview Questions
    • What else might you suggest to someone who's buying a birthday cake?

The answers seem so obvious after you hear them, but it's so easy to over think this one.
        View Answer
    • Give examples of the qualities of good customer service   View Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  SeaTac, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in SeaTac, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Safeway in June 2010.

One interview, asked many questions involved with Customer Service. Asked questions around my willingness to help other departments. Main questions involved around schedule, asking my hours i want and when i can work. Talked about safety and if i am able to work in certain conditions.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a customer, what would you buy? How would you want an employee make up your mind.   Answer Question
    Mostly agreeing to everything they asked.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!