Safeway

1.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Safeway in March 2013.

I began the process with an online application as well as submitting my resume. In around a week I received a call to come in for an interview. While I was early for my interview, my interviewer was twenty minutes late and seemed to be under stress. Immediately upon starting the interview, she gave me a sheet with my potential job description and pay rate, which despite my extensive prior experience as a Starbucks barista was still 50 cents less than my last job as a barista. Despite having submitted my professional resume detailing my work history (and college degree), the interviewer had not read my resume and was unaware at my previous job as a barista.

I was asked basic retail questions such as "How would you handle a conflict with a colleague," or "How would you handle an upset customer?" Just two days after completion of the interview, I received a call back from the same interviewer, offering me the job.

Interview Questions
  • Due to the nature of the job, the questions were fairly straightforward and unsurprising; however, I was caught off guard by one simple question: "If someone came to the bakery and ordered a cake, what would you suggest they also buy?" It is a simple question, but I wasn't expecting it, so I stumbled over my answer.   View Answer
There wasn't negotiation; I was told what the flat rate for my position was, rather than getting the chance to explain what my salary requirements were.

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in June 2012.

The whole process was pretty simple. I applied online for a number of different positions and a few days later I received a call and asked if I was still interested and when I could meet for an interview. Scheduled the interview for a few days later at an alternate location because the person who called wasn't going to be there but they had me interview with another person. I was told to go to the customer service desk when I arrived and they told me to go upstairs. The interview was really simple just a few questions about my past experiences and why I wanted to work for Safeway. After the questions she told me that they were going to move forward with me and that I needed to do a drug test and background test. The drug test was simple just had to put a sponge thing in your mouth for a few minutes. My background test came back quickly so they asked how many forms of ID I had which I had my drivers license and my social security card so she was able to do all my paper work while I filled out some tax papers on the computer. After that paper work she gave me a packet of papers I needed to sign and that was it. She asked when I was wanted to start I told her asap, she suggested I take a day so that I could a uniform together and I started training the day after that. Pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most recent work experience?   Answer Question
    • What would your last employer/manager say is your best/strongest attribute?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to give excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a customer complaint.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Safeway?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Safeway in March 2012.

Filled out the online application and was contacted by the hiring manager at a branch (different than the specific one I applied for). We spent about 30 minutes going over my work history and then was told I would have to pass a drug test and join the Union.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Received a better offer at a different cafe

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Safeway in November 2012.

Very easy interview, the most important thing is when you are available. Start conversation with positions, wages, and brief introduction of Safeway (Must join the union to be employed). Hired on the spot. Simple questions:
    Which position(s) are you interested in?
    Why you want to work here?
    Describe a time you were in a team?
    How you deal with disagreement?

Be prepare to answer "can you start training today?"

Interview Questions
    minimum wage, not negotiable.

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Safeway in May 2012.

I applied for the Starbucks kiosk job on the Safeway website, and a few days later, I was called in for an interview. After reading some of the reviews on here, I was expecting a drug test, numerous "Describe a situation when..." questions, and thus I prepared thoroughly. The actual interview itself was insanely short. It was seriously ten minutes long. The hiring manager asked me a few simple questions and I was hired then and there.

Interview Questions
    $10.25 an hour (minimum wage). No room for negotiating as it is an entry-level job. But I was happy.