Sage Hospitality

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.7

Front Desk Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Sage Hospitality.

Each individual hotel is in direct control of their hiring. That being said, I went through 5 interviewers and 3 weeks before giving up on a Sage property. As an industry leading company, I expected the best experience possible from their organization. I initially met with the op's manager, then guest services manager, then front desk manager, then guest services manager again and finally the op's manager again.

Interview Questions
    • As a new member to the team, what can you expect to be your downfall or something that you can learn from us?   View Answer
    • What is "luxury" to you?   View Answer

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in June 2014.

I met with the manager and assistant manager at the restaurant. They asked me a couple brief questions about my previous experience and looked over my resume. I was asked if i had reliable transportation and if I would be ok with the early morning hours. They then asked me to come in for drug and background check the next day. That process took about a week and then i was informed i was officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • In your opinion, what is customer service?   View Answer
    No negotiation really.

Special Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in May 2014.

Applied online received a call about 10 days later from HR, was asked several questions and told I would be called back to set up an interview. Two weeks went by, I received a call and was asked to come in for an interview. I had an interview 3 days later. I was told to ask for the HR person, he was very nice and told me I would be meeting with someone else, that person wasn't available, but I met with 2 other people and then the HR person asked a few questions then I was to;d they had just started interviewing and would get back with me in about 10 days. I received a call 3 weeks later and was told they had hired a person that was the perfect fit for them.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would be able to manage the restaurant since they needed someone there at 6am and they had 24 hour room service and needed to be staffed in the restaurant for that. I was applying for a special events manager, but I was willing to work in the restaurant if needed .   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sage Hospitality.

I walked in and asked about hiring and was invited to apply. They called me within a week or so for an interview with the Assistant Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty basic and asked about my experience, skills, and why I wanted to work at the particular hotel.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, however they did mention that the hourly wage was based off of training and would be reevaluated in the upcoming months with an increase at each positive review

Front Office Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in March 2014.

I was a walkin and got interviewed on the spot. The interview was fairly easy with questions like ; tell me about yourself? tell me about a time you've had to deal with a difficult guest and how did you handle it? Etc..30 min later after the interview I got a job offer!

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sage Hospitality.

I enjoyed my interview process considering during that time there really wasn't an actual building Engineer Supervisor running the property. The stand in Interviewer was very polite, respectful and understandably cautious that I was the right person for the job and made it to the second round, I then came back and met with the human resource department and was offered the position but only find out my wage wasn't quite what I was looking for and can change upon a new Engineer Supervisor's request and finally a 3rd welcome interview with all other new employees where we had breakfast, coffee games and met with the GM, mission statement and later brunch! overall i was happy and greatful with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • didn't really have a difficult question that my background check already answered before I was made an offer for the job! it was harmless!   Answer Question
    could have been better considering the interviewer wasn't seasoned enough and from another department!

Front Desk Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sage Hospitality.

I just got a call from HR. They asked me what was my dream job and about my work background. Also, why I wanted to work in the hospitality industry. It was an easy first interview, but I didn't get to go for a second interview.

Sales Support/Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in October 2012.

I applied online through Sage's web site for a job at a Danvers, MA hotel and heard nothing until several months had passed. I was invited to an open interview job fair and met with a Sage representative who quoted the salary range. Then I was invited to meet several salespeople who were very professional and pleasant. Again I was quoted a salary range. But this time it was less than the quote I received just an hour ago. I did not mention the first range I was given but did express that I felt it was low.

I was invited back two weeks later to meet with another Sage representative and then led upstairs to meet with yet another group of sales professionals. They were all very nice, and I really felt it would be a pleasant office to work in. A week later a third Sage representative contacted me with a job offer of a dollar less than the lowest quote I received. They were willing to come up one dollar, but it was just too low of a salary for me.

Also there was no discussion of benefits, accrued vacation time, cost of insurance, etc. How could I make an informed decision without a formal offer on the table? The e-mail sent to my job references contained misspellings and grammatical errors (as does their current ad online AND their Sage Hospitality web site). I was surprised that a company that took such care in screening applicants for the hotel did not realize their own staff was not up to snuff. Let me add here, however, that they were very respectful and pleasant.

It appeared Sage employees were not on the same page as the hotel's staff as far as salaries go, and not willing to pay for excellent help. I don't think the hotel will fare any better than the one it replaced because they are not doing anything different in hiring support staff. That being said, the sales staff hired to run the department did appear to be competent and ready to turn the hotel into a top-notch facility. I hope they find the sales support they need, and the salary that person accepts is enough to keep him/her in that position and not jump ship when something better comes along.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions asking to discuss a time when this or that happened, and how did you handle it. The job description provided was outdated and inaccurate, according to the sales team. It still is inaccurately posted online.   Answer Question

Salary is lower than the going rate for this type of job in Massaachusetts. I was not given any benefits information.

Vice President Corporate Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in May 2012.

Was called next day after submitting my resume. Phone interview with Simon went well. Questions were generic canned questions regarding "style of leadership" etc. The entire interview took about 45 minutes. I was told that I would be contacted the next week to schedule the next round of phone interviews. I waited 2 weeks and followed up with the individual who interviewed me and received no reply. I can understand if they decided on another candidate but I find it terribly cowardly and unprofessional for them to not reply or at minimum, show the courtesy to send a form rejection letter. They should have the mechanisms in place to send a rejection letter and the human mechanism to ensure a reply to someone who took the time to interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sage Hospitality in April 2012.

Talked to operations manager who explained the job; she then sent me on to the GM who asked what would you do if a guest had a room issue; I then interviewed with the AGM who looked over my resume, asked if I had any questions and that was it.

Interview Questions
    here ya go, it's $8.50/hr. raises are not based on merit but rather if you show up and breathe