Sage North America

2.8

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Sage North America in August 2010.

Initial HR guy called me and we did the usual meet and greet. Scheduled a phone screen call with 3 other folks: A director and two managers.

Each asked questions in turn, each with a specific topic: OO Concepts, DB Concepts, and Project Management/Team concepts.

OO Concept questions were such like "Describe polymorphism", and "What is inheritance". Many more questions along these lines.

DB Concepts: "What are primary and foreign keys used for" and "What is the purposes of indices in databases?" etc, etc.

PM/Team concepts: "Describe your understanding of Scrum". And so on.

The group/Panel interview was much different. I went to their location, and they discussed a recent project that I had worked on. This discussion essentially broke down the project so that they could understand how it was architected. They neatly (and respectfully) picked apart every single aspect of the project, asking questions and challenging ideas.

After that, they had me use a greaseboard to demonstrate any piece of that project that I worked on and was proud of. This was further analyzed and questioned.

Finally, there was a challenge in which they wiped the greaseboard clean, and presented me with a simple problem to solve. I was given a simple input and output requirement, and told not to use any existing libraries that I know of but to solve it using logic and pseudocode. This was again analyzed.

The panel interview was grueling, highly technical, and detailed. They expertly identified where I was weak and where I was strong, but they treated me with dignity and respect.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an algorithm or class library that you wrote that you are particularly proud of, and help us understand the OO concepts that you implemented in its design.   View Answer
    I negotiated for relocation assistance and salary.

I advise others to be absolutely candid and honest. Be prepared to go very, very in depth with your knowledge. Do not bluff these people. Read the requirements carefully, if you are not qualified, don't waste theirs or your time - they will examine you thoroughly and accurately.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Sage North America in March 2008.

The interview process included a couple one on one interviews then a small group interview. The hiring process was very selective.

Interview Questions
    • Give a example of a project that has gone sideways and how did you correct it.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sage North America in March 2010.

The process started with a phone interview with HR. That went really well and the HR rep was very personable. The one on one interview took place with the sales manager. I was left waiting as he conducted a meeting with his sales staff. It started off with small chit chat, but turned formal with every cliche interview question imaginable. It got to the point that I just wanted it to be over. Many of the questions were just so germaine and nonsense.

Intranet Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sage North America in August 2012.

Approached colleagues in company with questions about posted position I was interested in. Series of quick phone calls where another position was offered for consideration. 2 followup interviews with the hiring manager. Not a lot of background or skills checking occurred as my colleagues were able to attest to my skill set. Total turnaround time was one month.

Interview Questions
    • Explain direct or related experience you've had with managing a site of this nature.   Answer Question

Director Marketing Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Sage North America.

applied online, got to phone interview. This happened twice with three month interval: first got excluded for not knowing a specific software for marketing automation, Eloqua. The second time the job posting appeared, the Eloqua requirement had been dropped from an otherwise identical job posting. Second time got excluded for not having had direct management experience.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sage North America in September 2012.

- HR is a bit disorganized (I had flown into the city for the interview, which then was rescheduled so I had to incur costs to change flights).
    - Standard questions, they move at a decent pace

Interview Questions
    I negotiated, however wasn't able to obtain the desired salary (my request was above the banding for the position)

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sage North America.

Because I got a foot in the door through a recommendation, the hiring process was pretty easy. I had one interview and I was hired on the spot. I'm not sure how typical this would be. HR was very organized with follow up and set up.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself" is always important to answer well in a compelling way.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because I was happy with what I was offered. In hindsight, I could have negotiated for more, because they were clear that I was the right fit.

Product Manager Interview

tell me about yourself

Senior Business Analyst Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Sage North America in November 2010.

I worked for this company twice. The first time I interviewed I was recommended by a woman I'd worked with previously. I had an interview with HR, one with the manager who would be my boss and another with his manager.

There were a lot of questions to cover domain knowledge and also accounting. They have a multi-currency accounting system that is sophisticated. I was up front about my only 'basic' accounting skills and was hired on the strength of domain knowledge in other areas. Even though I didn't focus on the accounting modules went back to college for a couple semesters of financial accounting because the modules were so tightly integrated with the accounting modules.

I left the company after a few years there and when I'd been gone two years, two managers called me up, asked me to lunch and made me an offer to come back. That was an easy interview because they knew my work already.

Interview Questions
    • Explain in detail the software development cycle in your previous company.   Answer Question

Vice President & General Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Sage North America in December 2010.

The recruiters at Sage are not good at follow up...but once the interview process actually started it moved along pretty quickly. They used a Lominger style group interview but the team was not used to doing it so it was not particularly effective. They was more interested in impressing each other than selling the company opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you had to make a decision without having all the information you would have liked.   Answer Question