Sagentia

Sagentia Interview Questions

3.3

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sagentia.

Applied via email - CV and cover letter. Hiring process consisted of three interviews - case study, brainteaser and CV interview.

Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harston, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harston, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sagentia.

Communication was via a job recruiter. This had downsides, including inefficient communication via an intermediate who, I felt, wasn't motivated sufficiently to get the depth of information I requested. It took just over a month from when I initially applied for the position to attending a face-to-face interview.

The telephone interview was quite straight forward. I was invited for a face-to-face interview with a member of HR and two heads. One of the heads didn't show and the one who did had at most an hour with me. Needless to say this didn't leave a good impression on me given the time and effort needed to get there, take a day off, etc.

HR was pleasant and gave the usual "ask away with any questions you may have" but didn't put her money where her mouth was (more on this later). As for the main interview, it was exclusively technically based. A couple of quite difficult questions surrounding a "client case" type scenario that was well outside of both my technical expertise and experience. Little to no feedback was provided (verbally, facial, body language) so I found it impossible to gauge whether I was on the right track or not. All in all, he didn't seem like a very pleasant personable type - didn't strike me as the kind of person that would be a pleasure to work with.

I asked for feedback via the recruiter. Of course she couldn't care less to waste her time given that I was not invited for another interview. I made contact with the HR person directly - yes, the same one who seemed very pleasant and eager to answer any questions I had. Oddly she didn't have the time for me either. To add another more superficial point - no compensation for travelling was offered. It's not a big deal but I find that the more professional and respectable of companies do offer compensation, and given the rather unimpressive organisation (one interviewer didn't show and the one who did rushed me), it would have been a small token gesture.

All in all I was not impressed with Sagentia and unless desperate would not consider applying to them again.

Design Interview

A 4 hour interview process where three people interview you during this time, one person every 45 mins. Be prepared for questions such as "how high would a piece of string be if it was wrapped around the world with an additional 6ft of string and then lifted off the surface of the earth" and a game of cards. Brush up on mathematical formulas (the kind of stuff you learned at school and thought you would never need again). I think this company forgets that it also has to impress the interviewee and this method of interviewing certainly does not. They are not too interested in seeing your portfolio work and are more transfixed in going through an odd interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How high would a piece of string be if it was wrapped around the world with an additional 6ft of string and then lifted off the surface of the earth?   View Answers (2)

Summer Intern Interview

The interview was in Cambridge which is their HQ. It consisted of 3 stages. First stage was the interview with a person from HR and all questions were basic competency based. The second and third stages consisted of technical questions. They engaged me in some design questions (designing an amplifier to drive an LED) and control based questions which tested a lot of my analogue skills. The last part of the interview involved looking over circuit schematics and identifying for certain components in the schematic do.

Interview Questions
    • Identifying the functionality of certain components on the schematic relevant to the entire design.   Answer Question

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sagentia in December 2011.

Sagentia is an excellent company which majors on the technical strength of its employee, However the recruitment process isn't very organise. I applied for this role in November and I got a call from the HR in December asking if I was still interested in the job and I was schedule for a telephone interview for the next day. The interview consist of four competencies based question with an addition four technical question. The recruiters are very polite and grounded in the technical details of your role.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question includes

Define an FIR filter?
      What is CMOS?
        Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sagentia in August 2011.

The phone interview (Hiring manager was to call me) started 30min late.
    after only 30 min of the allotted hour for the call, the hiring manager told me that she would like to move onto the next level... a phone interview with the team to assess my skills.
    One day before the second interview, I got a cryptic call that Sagentia was no longer interested and he'll find out why.
    Two days later I called Sagentia directly to find out what happened, only to get a call back from the Staffing Agency to stop immediately and never call them again, they are not interested and cancelled the position.

All in all, not a very professional group.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sagentia in May 2011.

First contact was through a recruiter.
    Phone interview was confirmed within 48 hours.

The interview was well structured and questions carefully thought out. I had prepared in detail but many of the questions I didn't have relevant material available for, which I guess was intentional. However, it did appear to go well.

The result was communicated to me 2 days later - a no. They rejected two candidates including me for not having the correct experience which turned out to be much more specific than the job description stated. This was a disappointment because my experience was quite clearly laid out on my CV, this is something that could and should have been determined before the interview.

Overall a neutral experience - the interview was well conducted and results given promptly. However I think to be successful any candidate would have had to have done precisely the same job before - which to be fair the interviewer did admit was the case.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a bad decision you made and its outcome   View Answer