Sagentia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.6

Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sagentia (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online on the Sagentia website and got an interview at Sagentia within 3-4 weeks after the application. The job description was vague but suggested it was an entry level post. I was told that I would be interviewed by 5 different people (physicist, mathematician, head of the group.....the list goes on) - including a psychometric test.

They arranged a cab to drive me to Sagentia from the station in Cambridge. Arrived at their headquarters and was met by their HR officer, who took me to a room to wait for he interviewers. I was offered tea and biscuits, which was a nice gesture. I had 5 interviews in total one after the other, with the psychometric test sandwiched in between and was a pretty draining process. The interview process was very technical (not what I was prepared for as I thought it would be competency based from the job description) and at times was difficult to know what they were looking for. I was made to sketch diagrams on a writing board and recall equations from memory - something that I would not normally have to do in an actual job situation and a total waste of time as I would know the sources to look it up.
    The Head was an odd individual who seemed to enjoy the whole process
    It was only at the interview I found out it was supposed to be a consultancy role - not something that was clear from their job description and they actually admitted they were aware of the lack of clarity too !
    The whole process took a good 3-4 hours !!! All this malarkey for a £24000 salary when I could apply for a £35,000 post with just one interview elsewhere ! I was glad to get the hell out of there and just wanted to run far away from that place to be honest. I wasn't even bothered about asking for the result as I did not want the job anyway - was something totally different to what I thought it would be, I just wish they made it more clear in the job description to avoid wasting people's time. To be honest, the only good thing about the whole process was the paid taxi ride and tea/biscuits.
    They got back to me within a few days to tell me I hadn't got the position. I was also given abrupt feedback stating ' you lack basic physics knowledge' . Well my past (and more respectable) employers would beg to differ on that. To be honest, I would be surprised if anyone had the required physics knowledge to pass their test given the way the questions were structured and the lack of clarity regarding what was required in the role. Small company with a small mindset.
    Their job was still advertised for some time after - not surprising given their unrealistic expectations and doubt anyone would want to work for them anyway. Its a job that requires you to have worked in the exact position somewhere else to stand a chance of getting an offer. I would never apply to them again. Im not sure about the application process for their other departments but I would not recommend their physicist position based on my experience.

Interview Questions

• What material would you use for a patient couch in a CT unit ?   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sagentia (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by HR about 4 weeks later and offered a face to face interview. I met four people (SVP, Consultant, VP, HR) in three hours, the interview process was explained clearly as well as the following steps. Standard questions from HR. CV related questions from consultant, Some tough questions from VP and SVP on whether I was a good fit for the position but overall positive experience.Offered tea, coffee and biscuits during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Which trend do you see to be emerging in the pharma world?   Answer Question

Graduate Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sagentia in February 2015.

Interview

Applied via their website with a CV and cover letter upload in November. Heard back in late January for an assessment day later in February. On the assessment day there were 8 of us, 4 undergrads and 4 PhD/Postdoc, all physicists.

Assessment day involved: Group Ex, HR Interview, Case Study Analysis, Technical Interview
    Group Ex: Two teams, task was about brainstorming ideas for a product, developing these ideas and then a short presentation on a flip chart. They seemed keen to see explanations of the "physics" behind the product.
    HR Interview: Really relaxed interview. All the standard questions about times I'd worked in a team, what I would bring to the role etc. Interviewer gave lots of details about how the grad scheme is structured and what benefits the company offer.
    Case Study Analysis: I was sent the case study 2 weeks before the interview which was that of a surgical device. Had to look into various aspects of the design i.e. the size, materials and basic equations explaining how the device would work. Then on the day talked them through my research and calculations and they asked me some further questions.
    Technical Interview: Chat with the head of the team about various projects I'd worked on and then he asked some technical questions about them.

The day was enjoyable and we were given lots of opportunities to chat to current employers, the team, and given a tour of the company.

There was also an aptitude test but they didn't seem to set much store by it.

I heard back the next day, didn't get an offer but they gave really detailed feedback. Said I excelled in most areas but they didn't feel my technical ability was high enough for the role.

Interview Questions

• Revise circuits! They asked questions on circuits my technical and case study interviews!   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sagentia (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied via email - CV and cover letter. Hiring process consisted of three interviews - case study, brainteaser and CV interview.

Interview Questions

• How many hospital beds are in the UK?   1 Answer

Physicist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sagentia (Harston, England (UK)).

Interview

Communication was via a job recruiter. This had downsides, including inefficient communication via an intermediate who, I felt, wasn't motivated sufficiently to get the depth of information I requested. It took just over a month from when I initially applied for the position to attending a face-to-face interview.

The telephone interview was quite straight forward. I was invited for a face-to-face interview with a member of HR and two heads. One of the heads didn't show and the one who did had at most an hour with me. Needless to say this didn't leave a good impression on me given the time and effort needed to get there, take a day off, etc.

HR was pleasant and gave the usual "ask away with any questions you may have" but didn't put her money where her mouth was (more on this later). As for the main interview, it was exclusively technically based. A couple of quite difficult questions surrounding a "client case" type scenario that was well outside of both my technical expertise and experience. Little to no feedback was provided (verbally, facial, body language) so I found it impossible to gauge whether I was on the right track or not. All in all, he didn't seem like a very pleasant personable type - didn't strike me as the kind of person that would be a pleasure to work with.

I asked for feedback via the recruiter. Of course she couldn't care less to waste her time given that I was not invited for another interview. I made contact with the HR person directly - yes, the same one who seemed very pleasant and eager to answer any questions I had. Oddly she didn't have the time for me either. To add another more superficial point - no compensation for travelling was offered. It's not a big deal but I find that the more professional and respectable of companies do offer compensation, and given the rather unimpressive organisation (one interviewer didn't show and the one who did rushed me), it would have been a small token gesture.

All in all I was not impressed with Sagentia and unless desperate would not consider applying to them again.

Design Interview

Interview

A 4 hour interview process where three people interview you during this time, one person every 45 mins. Be prepared for questions such as "how high would a piece of string be if it was wrapped around the world with an additional 6ft of string and then lifted off the surface of the earth" and a game of cards. Brush up on mathematical formulas (the kind of stuff you learned at school and thought you would never need again). I think this company forgets that it also has to impress the interviewee and this method of interviewing certainly does not. They are not too interested in seeing your portfolio work and are more transfixed in going through an odd interview process.

Interview Questions

• How high would a piece of string be if it was wrapped around the world with an additional 6ft of string and then lifted off the surface of the earth?   2 Answers

Summer Intern Interview

Interview

The interview was in Cambridge which is their HQ. It consisted of 3 stages. First stage was the interview with a person from HR and all questions were basic competency based. The second and third stages consisted of technical questions. They engaged me in some design questions (designing an amplifier to drive an LED) and control based questions which tested a lot of my analogue skills. The last part of the interview involved looking over circuit schematics and identifying for certain components in the schematic do.

Interview Questions

• Identifying the functionality of certain components on the schematic relevant to the entire design.   Answer Question

Electronics Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sagentia (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2011.

Interview

Sagentia is an excellent company which majors on the technical strength of its employee, However the recruitment process isn't very organise. I applied for this role in November and I got a call from the HR in December asking if I was still interested in the job and I was schedule for a telephone interview for the next day. The interview consist of four competencies based question with an addition four technical question. The recruiters are very polite and grounded in the technical details of your role.

Interview Questions

• The technical question includes

Define an FIR filter?
      What is CMOS?

Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sagentia in August 2011.

Interview

The phone interview (Hiring manager was to call me) started 30min late.
    after only 30 min of the allotted hour for the call, the hiring manager told me that she would like to move onto the next level... a phone interview with the team to assess my skills.
    One day before the second interview, I got a cryptic call that Sagentia was no longer interested and he'll find out why.
    Two days later I called Sagentia directly to find out what happened, only to get a call back from the Staffing Agency to stop immediately and never call them again, they are not interested and cancelled the position.

All in all, not a very professional group.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sagentia (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in May 2011.

Interview

First contact was through a recruiter.
    Phone interview was confirmed within 48 hours.

The interview was well structured and questions carefully thought out. I had prepared in detail but many of the questions I didn't have relevant material available for, which I guess was intentional. However, it did appear to go well.

The result was communicated to me 2 days later - a no. They rejected two candidates including me for not having the correct experience which turned out to be much more specific than the job description stated. This was a disappointment because my experience was quite clearly laid out on my CV, this is something that could and should have been determined before the interview.

Overall a neutral experience - the interview was well conducted and results given promptly. However I think to be successful any candidate would have had to have done precisely the same job before - which to be fair the interviewer did admit was the case.

Interview Questions

• Describe a bad decision you made and its outcome   1 Answer