Saggezza Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.7

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted application/resume online and was contacted the next day to set up a phone screen with HR. Phone screen was brief and was mostly just questions on experience, background, etc - the normal screening questions. Next step was a phone interview with an SVP - I believe he was remote so therefore not based out of the Chicago HQ office. Talked about my work experience, he talked at length about the opportunity and the role they're looking to fill. I walked away from this experience feeling informed about the job expectations and the company in general. The interview was more conversation style versus rapid fire questions with awkward silences. All in all, a positive experience. Lasted about an hour. Final step was an on-site to their Chicago HQ. Multiple interviews were arranged by HR on a Friday morning: (1) Behavioral interview - conducted by HR coordinator. Mostly there to answer any questions and provide a general overview of Saggezza, what they do, etc. I wouldn't say it was really an interview...just an introduction/Q&A type of interaction (where I provide the Q's). Lasted about 20 minutes. (2) Technical interview - conducted by a junior developer. It was a whiteboard session where a DB was presented to me and I wrote queries for 15 different scenarios. Questions started out basic and then went into more complex joins and usage of built in funcitons (DATE, etc). In general it was good although there was some confusion since I have worked in a variety of different DB where syntax and functions differ. So the way a date is parsed in one DB versus another can look very different. The session seemed to be more appropriate for a developer type of role but worked well to determine SQL proficiency. Lasted about 30-45 minutes (3) Manager interview - conducted by another SVP, the hiring manager. Started with a description of the role, some background on Saggezza and their product strategy. I walked through my background, project experiences, etc. Very interactive, some open ended questions, one that stuck out was "What is your definition of a successful project?". Trick question. It was a great conversation but did not walk away feeling like there was a connection. Lasted about 45 minutes. Two weeks passed and eventually received the "Thanks but no thanks" email. During this time communication was honest and open which was very much appreciated. So although I didn't land the job I did feel that it was a positive experience. From beginning to end it lasted about a month.

Management Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Basic interview process, although interesting as the first in person interview was with one of the co-founders and then the Director of Talent. Initially a recruiter called me to discuss my background and a little about the role. That was followed by an in person interview. The interviews were somewhat casual (imo), but extremely nice to meet first with one of the co-founders. To me, that illustrates a solid company and one where everyone matters. Nice touch.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions like why drew you to Saggezza. Overall, I thought the questions were somewhat weak and did not drill in enough. Either they had already assessed that they didn't like me (although I didn't get that impression) or that is their standard. I like casual interviews, but when I was told the second interview was more behavioral interviewing, I walked away feeling like it was definitely NOT a behavioral interview.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Three step process. First was a phone call for basic information about the internship. Second call was mostly behavioral questions and how I handle deadlines. The final interview was to inquire about my skill set to ensure that they found the correct placement for me within the company. Everyone was very nice and the interview was a positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were behavioral, what I would do with an unfinished product and nearby deadline. Other questions pertained to information on my resume.   Answer Question

Director, Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Saggezza in June 2014.

Interview

I met with three members of the management team, COO, VP Client Services, and VP Sales. The interviews went well. I then met with the VP of Client Services for a face-to-face interview. Overall the process went smooth. It was a process that took a couple months.

Interview Questions

• There really were no difficult questions. But I suppose being able to verbally translate how many of my skills were applicable to "selling" was the question I prepared for the most...and as I expected, I was asked about my sales experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was confident a job offer was coming. I researched salary ranges for this type of job. When the offer came, I gratefully thanked them for the offer and requested 24 hours to consider it. The next day I provided a counter offer. The company made it's counter offer (which I completely expected) and I accepted it.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by HR - typical background screening questions. Next, had a phone interview with a manager - discussed the position and my background. After this, went to their office for 1-1 interviews. Met with 4 different members from their team. Everything seemed to go well - however, then things got dicey. The HR rep sent an email saying she needed references in order to proceed to the next step. I explained I was concerned about providing references from my current employer since they were not aware I was searching for another job. She assured me that she would NOT contact my current employer unless I received and accepted an offer from them. They made it seem like they did want to proceed to an offer so trusting her I gave her 3 references, all from my current employer, all with titles and company name next to them. One week later I found out she had contacted all of my references without informing me. The rep told me she "accidentally" thought my references were from past employers, even though the company name was clearly indicated next to each contact. This lack of attention to detail not only put me in an awkward situation at work but put my job at jeopardy. While the HR rep was trying to touch base with my references, I received a time sensitive offer from another company. Saggezza was my preference so I informed them of my offer and timeline. Days passed, and eventually even the deadline for the other opportunity when I finally heard back from her that they decided to pursue other candidates. Unfortunately this process ended up damaging my reputation with my current employers and ultimately resulted in being forced to go part time. While I have the utmost respect for the team I interviewed with, the incompetence of this HR representative certainly made me think twice about this company.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza.

Interview

Phone screen, interview with one of developer, on site. Most of the questions asked were behavioral (tell me about a time when...). There were hardly any technical questions. They highly value candidate with people skill than their techical background. During the group interview I felt that other candidate were of lower quality. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do consulting right after I graduated and after this interview I know for a fact that I do not want to do consulting.

Low pay, consulting

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I was contacted by Recruiting about an opportunity, after which I had a basic screening interview with HR followed by an in-person interview with a VP that covered resume history as well as behavioral and situational interview questions. Later, I had a phone interview with C-suite leadership and did an office visit to meet a number of folks. I was made an offer shortly thereafter and accepted.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was invited to apply through my university's career services and I did so. The initial phone interview was a short 20 minute "get to know you" with HR that lead to an hour long phone interview a week later with a recruiter. I expected technical questions, though there were about a dozen behavioral questions with one vague technical question about how one might test an application. This led to a 5 hour on-site interview with about a dozen other candidates. All but a half an hour of this was them telling me about the company - lots of hearing from employees and talking about projects and culture and what your training would be like. The half an hour interview at the end was essentially a "resume" interview ("I see you did this, talk about it"), no technical questions. I must admit the lunch they took us to was nice - an Italian place with killer bread.

Interview Questions

• During the behavioral phone interview I was asked two nearly identical questions (both about sharing examples of leadership) back to back which through me off. So I'd recommend having a couple stories ready to go.   Answer Question

I was lukewarm about consulting, and the on-site interview solidified that for me. But also, during the group interview, I got the sense that my fellow candidates were of lower quality than fellow candidates at other interviews. And throughout the interview process, there was not a single technical question (well maybe half of one question) for what appeared to be a programming job. I got the sense I could find somewhere else with a higher quality of devs. The offer, while I wouldn't consider it overwhelmingly low (it's about what I expected to end up with going into my search), was decidedly lower than all of my other offers.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saggezza (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

HR e-mail communications-->Phone screening-->In Person Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Saggezza (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

phone interview - it was pretty good. they asked me about my background, my current salary expectations, my future job expectations.

Interview Questions

• talked about previous consultant experience and focused more on Functional spec documents   1 Answer