Saks Fifth Avenue

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.5

Executive Excellence Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I interviewed with Saks Fifth Avenue after submitting my resume through my school's job site. They contacted me shortly after and set up a 1:1 interview with me. The questions were not very hard just very behavioral based. Be sure to have many stories about working in teams, difficult situations you have faced and your favorite designer. Be prepared to answer where you see yourself in 5 years and why you would be a great fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you worked in a group but things did not go as planned.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Lasted about 20 mins ask to get to know me. Went into a little detail about the job. It was unexpected that other people were joining. I thought it was going to be a one on one interview.

Assistant Site Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

1. Initial phone interview from HR
    2. Interview from 1-2 managers
    3. Interview with director
    4. Case study
    The case study is fairly easy. I was asked to compare and contrast with competitors and you will be asked what's good about the saks.com website and any improvements. They also asked a supplement question, "Define luxury".

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

The interview was on campus, and was very relaxed. There were two separate interviewers from the Saks buying department. The interviewers had a list of questions but also asked questions based on your responses.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions, questions about relevant experience, who is your favorite designer? asked if you have visited a Saks store before   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I found the job posting on Indeed. It took a week for them to reach out to me and then another week to set up the interview. I only went through one interview with three hiring managers. After the interview, the recruiter called me and told me job offer was most likely going to come and it did!

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were standard, but they do put a lot of emphasis on luxury retail, so do make sure that you all well versed in that area.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I had an interview with an MM and HR. Then I met with the GM. I new the MM would be difficult but I took the job anyway. I should have kept looking. Very poor culture.

No additional vacation.
    No additional salary.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Applied through my university, was brought in for 1 two hour interview in their local store. There were 2 interviews by 2 different people--their recruiter and a current exec. Questions were mostly behavioral and about current styles and trends--"tell me about a time that challenged you," "biggest strengths/weaknesses," "3 trends you see on campus," etc. However, the process is very cold and not personal.

Visual Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I drove to Austin from Houston and was interviewed in a Starbucks on a Saturday by the visual manager. I had an hour to do a full mannequin presentation which was critiqued by the store manager and the visual manager. I wowed them.

Interview Questions
    • Visual positions used to be conducted through visual means: a portfolio, a Powerpoint presentation, a recommendation from another visual associate, etc. It was your work, not how well you answered the fairly typical questions, or dropped the right keywords.   View Answer
    How badly do you really want the position? The money usually followed after the performance review. In a coveted position like Visual Lead, the employer doesn't have to negotiate, and believe me, they all take advantage of that.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in October 2014.

Very professional interviewing process with excellent follow though by the corporate office. I interviewed with two managers who were both informative and pleasant. There was a lot of communication and the process from interviewing to receiving an offer was a week and a half.

Senior Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in October 2014.

The person interviewing me for the position was 8+ months pregnant (she told me she was due in a week!) and seemed highly moody and distracted during the interview. It almost seemed like she didn't even want to interview me and all her questions seemed canned and rushed. No one else interviewed me and I even had to take a design "test" beforehand with random assets and no direction beforehand. 90% of her questions revolved around if I was capable of handling a "fast turnaround" and "busy work environment" which led me to believe there are probably some managerial problems in the department. I felt like I was being interrogated more than interviewed. Although I was very cordial and answered all her concerns to the best of my ability, I felt like she was extremely dissatisfied with everything I said and did which made me feel discouraged.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a home design "test" beforehand with random assets and no direction beforehand.   Answer Question