Saks Fifth Avenue Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.6

Visual Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I drove to Austin from Houston and was interviewed in a Starbucks on a Saturday by the visual manager. I had an hour to do a full mannequin presentation which was critiqued by the store manager and the visual manager. I wowed them.

Interview Questions
    • Visual positions used to be conducted through visual means: a portfolio, a Powerpoint presentation, a recommendation from another visual associate, etc. It was your work, not how well you answered the fairly typical questions, or dropped the right keywords.   View Answer
    How badly do you really want the position? The money usually followed after the performance review. In a coveted position like Visual Lead, the employer doesn't have to negotiate, and believe me, they all take advantage of that.

Sales Associate Interview

Open call - spoke with two different people. First meet with HR manager, second you meet with department desired manager. Asked mainly questions about your interest in working there. I suggest dressing for business formal. You want to make sure that you look the part of their customers. It was very relaxing and not intimidating, everyone I spoke with was very friendly. All had helpful tips even throughout the interview process for how to speak and work with their customers.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in September 2014.

Most amazing recruiting and HR team EVER! The personal attention and level of care for me as an individual was like nothing I've ever experienced before. It speaks volumes about the company culture in my opinion! Interview process went: (1) applied online (2) phone interview with HR-corporate (3) in person interview with HR-local + in person interview with GM (same day) (4) follow-up with HR-Corporate (5) phone interview with Executive at HQ's (6) follow-up with HR-Corporate (7) Job Offer -- all of this took about one month (from applying online to first day of work) this was the most pleasant interviewing process I have ever been through. Kudos to Saks Fifth Avenue staff!!

Interview Questions
    • Very common/straight-forward interview questions. They were very upfront with me about the MAX salary for the position within the first few minutes of the first phone call and asked me if I wanted to continue with the process based on that information.   View Answer
    Very straightforward. No wiggle room at all on salary or bonus potential.

Beauty Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in September 2014.

I sent a email to have a application, and get a interview in the next week. The questions are very simple. Why you leave your last job, why you choose us, please describe your last job and so on. The beauty department manager interview me and she is very nice. There is no very difficult question.

Interview Questions
    • Please list 3 beauty brands that you like best.   View Answer

Seasonal Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in September 2014.

Saks Fifth Avenue held an open house at their NYC location. The open house was an hour and a half long and was held in one room. There had to be well over 125 people there flowing in during the hour. Despite being asked to fill out an application prior to the open house, we had to fill out a general sheet stating our name, contact info, age, availability, etc. We then were asked to have a seat and shuffle each time the next person moved a seat ahead. There were about 10-15 interviewers there. Each person's interview was different than the other, which brings me to why I'm giving Saks a horrible review:

My interview was no more than 2 minutes, INCLUDING the general 'What is your availability, age, full time, etc" which he literally could have just gathered from the sheet that I'd filled out. Then the two deal breaking questions he asked me were what are my favorite brands and why Saks. During the interview, he made zero eye contact with me, but instead kept hastily looking at the guy that was after me and then abruptly ended my interview. Two days later I received an email stating that I did not get the position. I felt that this was a complete waste of my time; the fact that I traveled there to be interviewed for 2 minutes by a man who clearly just wanted to interview the young man behind me was an absolute joke. I've been to open house before, particularly ones for holiday seasons, where they ask better questions or even the least look at you while they're interviewing you.

I feel like each person's interview should have been the same length and asked the same questions. I witnessed a girl and a young man having an almost 10 minute long interview that seemed more like a casual conversation. There was a girl who, for some whatever reason, was given privileges to skip the line ahead of the 70 or so people waiting at that point. Each interview seemed like it was unfair compared to others. I will never apply for a retail job here again. The way companies dictate and set up their interviews says a lot about the kind of company they will be like to work for.

Beauty Specialist Interview

I met with 2 managers mid week, then had an interview with 2 more managers the next few days after that. I was offered employment a few days after that. Questions were behavioral based and could shake someone if they were not prepared, but I was prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What were your exact retail numbers compared to other employees in your past position?   Answer Question
    Negotiate as high as possible. Once you agree, there are no raises unless you are promoted.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

You will first be screened by HR to see if you're a good candidate. They will ask generic questions: Tell me about yourself, career interests, work experience, etc. If they choose you as a good candidate, you will then meet with the Buyer or head of the office for a one on one interview. They will ask you about problem solving, how you manager your time, interest in fashion and buying and I was asked what fashion publications I read and what designers are my favorite. It all boils down to whether or not you are a good fit for the office. You will be assisting the Assistant Buyer, Associate Buyer, Buyer and occasionally the Planners and the DMM.

No negotiation on compensation at this level.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2014.

Took 2 weeks for an offer. The whole process was very enjoyable. I applied online and within a few days I received a call from the talent recruiter. She viewed my resume and cover letter that I submitted online and said she would like to talk to me more about my experience etc. through a phone conversation. She was super nice and our talk went well. She then said she would have someone reach out to me that day with details on scheduling an in-store interview. I received a call and an e-mail and set up a time to meet the next week. I arrive to Saks and the place is seriously beautiful. I make my way up to HR and wait a bit because another girl was interviewing before me and her interview ran over (which was fine, gave me more time to calm my nerves!) I was called into the office of the director of talent recruiting. She was very personable and our "interview" was more like a conversation. We talked about fashion, why Saks, how I can help improve the company, why I want to work here. Our interview lasted about 45 min. and she called up the women's contemporary manager to come meet with me after! Two interviews in one day! The manager was kind- she only asked me about 3 questions and we chatted a bit and then I thanked them and left. About 2-3 days later, I receive a call from HR wanting me to meet with the Store Manager of the entire Saks. I set up a time for the next day. Again, harmless interview- he was just as personable. We went over the demands of the job and how it is essentially a building your own business type deal. We went over the draw vs. commission rate plus you get $375 every week to start you off. It was a nice deal! The average sales associate who doesn't go out there and give it their all makes an average of $18 an hour they told me, so that was more than enough for me. He was a joy to talk to and our interview only lasted about 30 min. As I was leaving Saks, I received a call and they offered me the job WHILE I was still in the store!! I was thrilled- they asked me to start asap but I had to wrap up some things so I had it pushed back about 2 weeks. Overall, it was a great experience. Very professional. They seem to care about their employees a great deal and the benefits were awesome too. I honestly can't wait to work here!

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you wanting to move up from this job- if so, what's your plan on doing that?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Great benefits, paid time off, health, vision, dental, 401K, draw vs. comm.

Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2014.

The HR department is extremely knowledgeable about the position. The phone interview was cordial and basic knowledge questions. In person interview was also nice, however one of the guys never looked at my resume until I handed it to them. Sure you can't expect every employer to know everything about you, but it would nice if some effort was made to not make you feel so small and unimportant, especially if a phone interview is needed to get you to this step in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Text book questions were a majority of the test. Explaining something is one thing, but to define terms, etc. tells me they want a recent graduate and are not basing the interview on experience, but knowledge alone.   Answer Question

Selling Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

2 interviews, ASM and then GM. Both ask similar questions and they are very basic interview questions. How are you and such..

Availably question, a description of the job (fyi it doesn't align once hired)

Limited