Saks Fifth Avenue

Getting the Interview

122 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in November 2013.

Interview Details – Typical interview process..met with various assistant managers and the HR executives before final meeting with department manager.

Interview Question – Pretty easy as far as the interview went. They'll paint a very pretty picture but in reality don't deliver or keep their word.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well, negotiated a higher base salary with lower commission, but it was never implemented. When bringing it to the attention of the head of HR (who emailed me with the plan)f verbally denied having a such conversation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in May 2010.

Interview Details – there are three interviews, one with hr, one with your (would be)supervisor and their boss if you get that far.

Interview Question – questions are easy, just remember to explain your answers in a concise formatted way   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – could have negotiated but didn't, in other words i was told what the offer was and accepted it only to find out once i was hired that i could have negotiated

Sales Specialist Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in July 2012.

Interview Details – Meet with HR rep. Then you get interviewed by a sales manager . Then if you area prospect for a particular vendor you will be interviewed by a rep of that specific vendor. They ask how you would fit in and benefit their world of fashion and bring back recurring business and that is a key point in their cushiness culture.

Interview Question – how would you bring in repeat business.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in April 2010.

Interview Details – Tell them you have a client book. I've been through 4 or 5 interviews with other companies, Saks is not like that. Don't ask about discount during your interview. It's good, just know that. Dress the part. Buttoned-up is a pretty safe bet. Don't tell them eventually you would like to transfer to corporate. They want someone that will stay and sell forever.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had a difficult customer. Have an answer prepared. Hard to think of those on the spot sometimes   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You get what you get. Sales positions are draw vs. commission

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in December 2010.

Interview Details – Great people. 7 or 8 interviews. Mostly around experience.

Interview Question – Walk the floor and see what your insights were on the business and the people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tough but the offer was fair.

Very Easy Interview

Brand Ambassador Interview

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in April 2013.

Interview Details – Overall, it was a pleasant experience. A pretty typical interview process: I was recruited from Linkedin and from there the interviews were basic, to the point and not difficult. I was interviewed by department manager and also assistant store manager. They were both straightforward and very real during the interview process.

Interview Question – Why Saks Fifth Avenue?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate based on my draw rate being higher than the norm...I would advise others to beware of their draw versus commission pay. It is very dangerous and extremely difficult to live off of based on their return policy. This location is extremely slow and clients are not loyal to Saks.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a phone call from hr a few days later, went in for an interview with hr manager, and another interview with department manager, got an offer, process took less than a week.

Interview Question – All easy questions   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Three different retail executives interviewed me and they used a form for the interview and each took a lot of notes. All three interviews were almost the same.

Interview Question – I do not remember. This was a very long time ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – take it or leave it

Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH Executive Development Program Internship Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in February 2014.

Interview Details – I only made it to the first round, but it might be due to my summer plans to study abroad for a month. It was two back-to-back 30 minute on campus interviews with two different store managers (one from Dallas and the other from San Antonio). It was my first "real" interview, so I was a bit nervous. However, both interviewers made me feel welcomed and at ease.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by the store's executive assistant a little over three weeks later. Communicated via email and arranged an in person interview. Interview was very easy.. one of the easiest I've been through. I was interviewed by two selling managers of two prospective departments. They had a lot to tell me, I had a lot of questions and the interview lasted almost two hours. The talent development director called me back next Friday to request that I finish some online paperwork, and offered me the job the following Monday.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when a customer's actions were beyond your expectation.
Some light talk about designers (beginner level)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They offered a very handsome hourly rate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Saks Fifth Avenue

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Saks Fifth Avenue interview questions and advice. All 122 interview reviews posted anonymously by Saks Fifth Avenue employees and interview candidates.