Saks Fifth Avenue Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

Beauty Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in September 2014.

I sent a email to have a application, and get a interview in the next week. The questions are very simple. Why you leave your last job, why you choose us, please describe your last job and so on. The beauty department manager interview me and she is very nice. There is no very difficult question.

Interview Questions
    • Please list 3 beauty brands that you like best.   View Answer

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in January 2010.

Originally phoned the cosmetics manager who directed me to human resources after a brief chat. HR called almost immediately after resume submitted, but at the time they were having a hard time finding qualified people to staff the department so that might explain the ultra quick response. Interviewed the same week, met with reps the following week, hired the day after that. No proof of artistry skills was required, only my resume.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what kind of sales person I consider myself to be.   View Answer
    I really am a terrible negotiator for myself. Wish I had asked for more money than I did because there are no raises.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2014.

Took 2 weeks for an offer. The whole process was very enjoyable. I applied online and within a few days I received a call from the talent recruiter. She viewed my resume and cover letter that I submitted online and said she would like to talk to me more about my experience etc. through a phone conversation. She was super nice and our talk went well. She then said she would have someone reach out to me that day with details on scheduling an in-store interview. I received a call and an e-mail and set up a time to meet the next week. I arrive to Saks and the place is seriously beautiful. I make my way up to HR and wait a bit because another girl was interviewing before me and her interview ran over (which was fine, gave me more time to calm my nerves!) I was called into the office of the director of talent recruiting. She was very personable and our "interview" was more like a conversation. We talked about fashion, why Saks, how I can help improve the company, why I want to work here. Our interview lasted about 45 min. and she called up the women's contemporary manager to come meet with me after! Two interviews in one day! The manager was kind- she only asked me about 3 questions and we chatted a bit and then I thanked them and left. About 2-3 days later, I receive a call from HR wanting me to meet with the Store Manager of the entire Saks. I set up a time for the next day. Again, harmless interview- he was just as personable. We went over the demands of the job and how it is essentially a building your own business type deal. We went over the draw vs. commission rate plus you get $375 every week to start you off. It was a nice deal! The average sales associate who doesn't go out there and give it their all makes an average of $18 an hour they told me, so that was more than enough for me. He was a joy to talk to and our interview only lasted about 30 min. As I was leaving Saks, I received a call and they offered me the job WHILE I was still in the store!! I was thrilled- they asked me to start asap but I had to wrap up some things so I had it pushed back about 2 weeks. Overall, it was a great experience. Very professional. They seem to care about their employees a great deal and the benefits were awesome too. I honestly can't wait to work here!

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you wanting to move up from this job- if so, what's your plan on doing that?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Great benefits, paid time off, health, vision, dental, 401K, draw vs. comm.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

You will first be screened by HR to see if you're a good candidate. They will ask generic questions: Tell me about yourself, career interests, work experience, etc. If they choose you as a good candidate, you will then meet with the Buyer or head of the office for a one on one interview. They will ask you about problem solving, how you manager your time, interest in fashion and buying and I was asked what fashion publications I read and what designers are my favorite. It all boils down to whether or not you are a good fit for the office. You will be assisting the Assistant Buyer, Associate Buyer, Buyer and occasionally the Planners and the DMM.

No negotiation on compensation at this level.

Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2014.

The HR department is extremely knowledgeable about the position. The phone interview was cordial and basic knowledge questions. In person interview was also nice, however one of the guys never looked at my resume until I handed it to them. Sure you can't expect every employer to know everything about you, but it would nice if some effort was made to not make you feel so small and unimportant, especially if a phone interview is needed to get you to this step in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Text book questions were a majority of the test. Explaining something is one thing, but to define terms, etc. tells me they want a recent graduate and are not basing the interview on experience, but knowledge alone.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in July 2012.

Applied online and then was contacted by the regional head of talent development for a phone interview. There was a strong focus on networking and client development. I was then asked to go to the store for and interview with the stores HR head and then another with the manager of the department I applied for.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in January 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call from a recruiter two days later, who asked me a few questions abut my work expereince and told me she will set up the interview with HR in the store. The interview was set up for a couple of days later. HR person spent about 10 minutes with me, and than called the department manager to interview me. This was all followed up with an email from her offering me a job. Everything was smooth and easy, no awkward questions, everyone was extremely nice.

Not negotiable.

Selling Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

2 interviews, ASM and then GM. Both ask similar questions and they are very basic interview questions. How are you and such..

Availably question, a description of the job (fyi it doesn't align once hired)

Limited

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in June 2014.

I had an atypical experience I think. I was working for the Saks outlet in another state and wanted to work at the full line store when I relocated to NYC. I began by calling HR, I called everyday for a week before my call was returned. The HR director gave the contact information to Talent Acquisition. I spoke with that person for maybe 20-30 minutes and was asked to send a copy of my resume, which in turn would be sent to HR. I sent a thank you note with some 90% cocoa chocolate bars (in retrospect it probably left a bad impression as the chocolate is bitter and very much so an acquired taste). Anyway, I didn't hear back from them in the time frame given so I contacted talent acquisition with no response. To be proactive I called HR the following day and left a message and received no response. The day after I arrived to New York I sent talent acquisition an email letting them know I arrived in the city, I hear companies are very hesitant to move forward with applicants that aren't already in the city. Two days later he send me an email asking when I can meet with him, as luck would have it I was on 5th Avenue dropping off my resume at other stores and actually standing right in front of Saks. We set up a netting fir 45 minutes later bad he conducts an interview. During this time we discuss which floor I'd like to work on. I told him the 2nd or 3rd floors and he expressed concern about the size of my client book and the willingness of my clients to work with me now that I'm in a new stare. I communicated their expressed eagerness to still work with me since I was at a full line store and would have access to current merchandise. He recommended I start on the 5th floor, which is contemporary , because it would be easier to build clientele there. I agreed and asked about the potential to sell merchandise on other floors, which is not only acceptable it's encouraged. We talked about my availability, which was determined to be part-time as they don't do split shifts and I'm going yo school in the fall I would only be able to say I'm available on the days that I have no other obligations. Compensation was discussed, $10 an hour until I reach my weekly sales goal at which point I would earn commission based on the merchandise department (contemporary earns 6%, but if I sell something in another department I would earn whatever that commission is). He asks me to wait in the waiting room while he gets the contemporary manager to come up for an interview. While I'm waiting the department manager contacts OFF 5th and asks about me, they immediately sent me a text telling me they fave a glowing recommendation and she seemed very interested on bringing me on. I meet with the department manager and after some small talk we discussed the brand Vince, as that the area she mainly works in and the position I was applying for. She asks me if I was interested in working on another floor or if there were other brands I with which felt a deeper connection and I told her out of all the brands on the 5th floor Vince was my favorite bad would be a great position for me as I had experience selling the brand at the outlet bad was familiar with their aesthetic, but I knew a lot more about the brands on the 2nd and 3rd floors (2nd floor is higher bed designer wear like Etro, Ralph Lauren, St. John and the 3rd floor is high end more well known designers like Chanel, Prada, etcetera) not to mention those were brands I personally shopped. Not wanting to turn her off, while still ring honest I let her know that I was very much interested in selling Vince and 5th floor brands and I felt that floor would be a great launching pad for me since I could work with brands I've actually sold, but still have the opportunity to sell brands that I was more familiar with aesthetically at the same time while I built my client book. I go outside and wait while they speak to each other, then talent comes put to ask me if I was still employed by the Army and to make sure I had nothing that would interfere with the days I was available and to tell me I was no longer on OFF 5th's payroll (management at my old store told me they would keep me on payroll for two more weeks while I applied at the full line store). Then he tells me they will be in touch and I will hear back from them in a couple of days. Sine I'm waiting for a response, I figured I just share my experience in totality with anyone else interested.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question at all, but I was asked what does clienteleling mean to me.   Answer Question
    • How would I be able to sell to clients effectively that I had in the south if I were in NYC.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Applied online, short phone interview, received email for group interview, went in all the department managers in the store and president splits you into two large groups, and they ask questions and take notes while everyone answers, I loved it! Made everyone feel important, bring a resumé if you want, everyone got a free purse with goodies inside

Interview Questions

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!