Saks Fifth Avenue

133 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Selling Specialist Interview

Selling Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, ASM and then GM. Both ask similar questions and they are very basic interview questions. How are you and such..

Availably question, a description of the job (fyi it doesn't align once hired)

Negotiation Details – Limited

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had an atypical experience I think. I was working for the Saks outlet in another state and wanted to work at the full line store when I relocated to NYC. I began by calling HR, I called everyday for a week before my call was returned. The HR director gave the contact information to Talent Acquisition. I spoke with that person for maybe 20-30 minutes and was asked to send a copy of my resume, which in turn would be sent to HR. I sent a thank you note with some 90% cocoa chocolate bars (in retrospect it probably left a bad impression as the chocolate is bitter and very much so an acquired taste). Anyway, I didn't hear back from them in the time frame given so I contacted talent acquisition with no response. To be proactive I called HR the following day and left a message and received no response. The day after I arrived to New York I sent talent acquisition an email letting them know I arrived in the city, I hear companies are very hesitant to move forward with applicants that aren't already in the city. Two days later he send me an email asking when I can meet with him, as luck would have it I was on 5th Avenue dropping off my resume at other stores and actually standing right in front of Saks. We set up a netting fir 45 minutes later bad he conducts an interview. During this time we discuss which floor I'd like to work on. I told him the 2nd or 3rd floors and he expressed concern about the size of my client book and the willingness of my clients to work with me now that I'm in a new stare. I communicated their expressed eagerness to still work with me since I was at a full line store and would have access to current merchandise. He recommended I start on the 5th floor, which is contemporary , because it would be easier to build clientele there. I agreed and asked about the potential to sell merchandise on other floors, which is not only acceptable it's encouraged. We talked about my availability, which was determined to be part-time as they don't do split shifts and I'm going yo school in the fall I would only be able to say I'm available on the days that I have no other obligations. Compensation was discussed, $10 an hour until I reach my weekly sales goal at which point I would earn commission based on the merchandise department (contemporary earns 6%, but if I sell something in another department I would earn whatever that commission is). He asks me to wait in the waiting room while he gets the contemporary manager to come up for an interview. While I'm waiting the department manager contacts OFF 5th and asks about me, they immediately sent me a text telling me they fave a glowing recommendation and she seemed very interested on bringing me on. I meet with the department manager and after some small talk we discussed the brand Vince, as that the area she mainly works in and the position I was applying for. She asks me if I was interested in working on another floor or if there were other brands I with which felt a deeper connection and I told her out of all the brands on the 5th floor Vince was my favorite bad would be a great position for me as I had experience selling the brand at the outlet bad was familiar with their aesthetic, but I knew a lot more about the brands on the 2nd and 3rd floors (2nd floor is higher bed designer wear like Etro, Ralph Lauren, St. John and the 3rd floor is high end more well known designers like Chanel, Prada, etcetera) not to mention those were brands I personally shopped. Not wanting to turn her off, while still ring honest I let her know that I was very much interested in selling Vince and 5th floor brands and I felt that floor would be a great launching pad for me since I could work with brands I've actually sold, but still have the opportunity to sell brands that I was more familiar with aesthetically at the same time while I built my client book. I go outside and wait while they speak to each other, then talent comes put to ask me if I was still employed by the Army and to make sure I had nothing that would interfere with the days I was available and to tell me I was no longer on OFF 5th's payroll (management at my old store told me they would keep me on payroll for two more weeks while I applied at the full line store). Then he tells me they will be in touch and I will hear back from them in a couple of days. Sine I'm waiting for a response, I figured I just share my experience in totality with anyone else interested.

Interview Questions

• Not a difficult question at all, but I was asked what does clienteleling mean to me.   Answer Question
  • How would I be able to sell to clients effectively that I had in the south if I were in NYC.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in November 2012.

Interview Details – I checked out every department to see where I'd most like to work. I walked around, talked to several sales associates to see what the work environment was like. Once I decided on the department, I asked a sales associate for the head manager. I expressed my interest to the head manager and gave him my resume. I was called that afternoon for an interview the next day. Initial interview was with a HR manager, then I met with two department managers. I was made an offer the following day.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult questions but was definitely asked some good ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't need to negotiate. Great commission!

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Boston, MA

Interview Details – Applied online, short phone interview, received email for group interview, went in all the department managers in the store and president splits you into two large groups, and they ask questions and take notes while everyone answers, I loved it! Made everyone feel important, bring a resumé if you want, everyone got a free purse with goodies inside

Interview Questions

Merchandise Intern Interview

Merchandise Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in March 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed on campus at a college, and I spoke with interviewer about retail math, news sources around retail and merchandising. The interviewer was not super focused on trends or fashion trends. They ask about where I saw myself: buying or planning. Those are the two different tracks to be aware of when you enter as an intern or first time hire.

Interview Question – Talk about which publications you read on a daily basis and why that are relevant to the industry.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Interviewed with Department manager, human resources, and assistant merchandising manager. Each interview was one on one with standard interview questions. Total time about 90 mins. Dress trendy but professional and show that you are interested in fashion and can stand pressure.

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Screen, Interview with dep. manager, hr manager, recruiter and line account executive. You must wow them with your dedication to giving superior customer service and be ready to tell how you have done so and how you plan to do that and more at Saks,

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue

Interview Details – Interview was easy nice environment was late for the interview and they said nothing. The hiring manager was easy to talk to but the assistant was quiet and made things uneasy. I am not sure they knew what they were doing maybe they were new at the interview thing!

Interview Question – What about your future?   Answer Question

Fine Jewelry Sales Interview

Fine Jewelry Sales
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – It was a job fair in their store. I was sent around from HR to HR person and finally asked to come back in a few days to meet the department manager.

Interview Question – How did I handle a past difficult customer situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. It was what it was.

Command Center Analyst Interview

Command Center Analyst
Jackson, MS

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted by HR the following month to set interview. I was to interview with 3 people. One was the IT manager, but he had to take a call. It appeared the interview was of very little importance to him. His initial statement to me was discouraging as he felt I was over qualified for the position. But I felt I had a very positive interview with HR and the direct hiring manager. All in all, I felt it was a positive work atmosphere.

Interview Question – Straight forward interview questions. No surprises.   View Answer

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!