Saks Fifth Avenue

Updated Nov 3, 2014

2.5

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Open call - spoke with two different people. First meet with HR manager, second you meet with department desired manager. Asked mainly questions about your interest in working there. I suggest dressing for business formal. You want to make sure that you look the part of their customers. It was very relaxing and not intimidating, everyone I spoke with was very friendly. All had helpful tips even throughout the interview process for how to speak and work with their customers.

Other Interview Reviews for Saks Fifth Avenue

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2014.

Took 2 weeks for an offer. The whole process was very enjoyable. I applied online and within a few days I received a call from the talent recruiter. She viewed my resume and cover letter that I submitted online and said she would like to talk to me more about my experience etc. through a phone conversation. She was super nice and our talk went well. She then said she would have someone reach out to me that day with details on scheduling an in-store interview. I received a call and an e-mail and set up a time to meet the next week. I arrive to Saks and the place is seriously beautiful. I make my way up to HR and wait a bit because another girl was interviewing before me and her interview ran over (which was fine, gave me more time to calm my nerves!) I was called into the office of the director of talent recruiting. She was very personable and our "interview" was more like a conversation. We talked about fashion, why Saks, how I can help improve the company, why I want to work here. Our interview lasted about 45 min. and she called up the women's contemporary manager to come meet with me after! Two interviews in one day! The manager was kind- she only asked me about 3 questions and we chatted a bit and then I thanked them and left. About 2-3 days later, I receive a call from HR wanting me to meet with the Store Manager of the entire Saks. I set up a time for the next day. Again, harmless interview- he was just as personable. We went over the demands of the job and how it is essentially a building your own business type deal. We went over the draw vs. commission rate plus you get $375 every week to start you off. It was a nice deal! The average sales associate who doesn't go out there and give it their all makes an average of $18 an hour they told me, so that was more than enough for me. He was a joy to talk to and our interview only lasted about 30 min. As I was leaving Saks, I received a call and they offered me the job WHILE I was still in the store!! I was thrilled- they asked me to start asap but I had to wrap up some things so I had it pushed back about 2 weeks. Overall, it was a great experience. Very professional. They seem to care about their employees a great deal and the benefits were awesome too. I honestly can't wait to work here!

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you wanting to move up from this job- if so, what's your plan on doing that?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Great benefits, paid time off, health, vision, dental, 401K, draw vs. comm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in June 2014.

I had an atypical experience I think. I was working for the Saks outlet in another state and wanted to work at the full line store when I relocated to NYC. I began by calling HR, I called everyday for a week before my call was returned. The HR director gave the contact information to Talent Acquisition. I spoke with that person for maybe 20-30 minutes and was asked to send a copy of my resume, which in turn would be sent to HR. I sent a thank you note with some 90% cocoa chocolate bars (in retrospect it probably left a bad impression as the chocolate is bitter and very much so an acquired taste). Anyway, I didn't hear back from them in the time frame given so I contacted talent acquisition with no response. To be proactive I called HR the following day and left a message and received no response. The day after I arrived to New York I sent talent acquisition an email letting them know I arrived in the city, I hear companies are very hesitant to move forward with applicants that aren't already in the city. Two days later he send me an email asking when I can meet with him, as luck would have it I was on 5th Avenue dropping off my resume at other stores and actually standing right in front of Saks. We set up a netting fir 45 minutes later bad he conducts an interview. During this time we discuss which floor I'd like to work on. I told him the 2nd or 3rd floors and he expressed concern about the size of my client book and the willingness of my clients to work with me now that I'm in a new stare. I communicated their expressed eagerness to still work with me since I was at a full line store and would have access to current merchandise. He recommended I start on the 5th floor, which is contemporary , because it would be easier to build clientele there. I agreed and asked about the potential to sell merchandise on other floors, which is not only acceptable it's encouraged. We talked about my availability, which was determined to be part-time as they don't do split shifts and I'm going yo school in the fall I would only be able to say I'm available on the days that I have no other obligations. Compensation was discussed, $10 an hour until I reach my weekly sales goal at which point I would earn commission based on the merchandise department (contemporary earns 6%, but if I sell something in another department I would earn whatever that commission is). He asks me to wait in the waiting room while he gets the contemporary manager to come up for an interview. While I'm waiting the department manager contacts OFF 5th and asks about me, they immediately sent me a text telling me they fave a glowing recommendation and she seemed very interested on bringing me on. I meet with the department manager and after some small talk we discussed the brand Vince, as that the area she mainly works in and the position I was applying for. She asks me if I was interested in working on another floor or if there were other brands I with which felt a deeper connection and I told her out of all the brands on the 5th floor Vince was my favorite bad would be a great position for me as I had experience selling the brand at the outlet bad was familiar with their aesthetic, but I knew a lot more about the brands on the 2nd and 3rd floors (2nd floor is higher bed designer wear like Etro, Ralph Lauren, St. John and the 3rd floor is high end more well known designers like Chanel, Prada, etcetera) not to mention those were brands I personally shopped. Not wanting to turn her off, while still ring honest I let her know that I was very much interested in selling Vince and 5th floor brands and I felt that floor would be a great launching pad for me since I could work with brands I've actually sold, but still have the opportunity to sell brands that I was more familiar with aesthetically at the same time while I built my client book. I go outside and wait while they speak to each other, then talent comes put to ask me if I was still employed by the Army and to make sure I had nothing that would interfere with the days I was available and to tell me I was no longer on OFF 5th's payroll (management at my old store told me they would keep me on payroll for two more weeks while I applied at the full line store). Then he tells me they will be in touch and I will hear back from them in a couple of days. Sine I'm waiting for a response, I figured I just share my experience in totality with anyone else interested.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question at all, but I was asked what does clienteleling mean to me.   Answer Question
    • How would I be able to sell to clients effectively that I had in the south if I were in NYC.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview was easy nice environment was late for the interview and they said nothing. The hiring manager was easy to talk to but the assistant was quiet and made things uneasy. I am not sure they knew what they were doing maybe they were new at the interview thing!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Applied online, got a phone call from hr a few days later, went in for an interview with hr manager, and another interview with department manager, got an offer, process took less than a week.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Applied online and was contacted by the store's executive assistant a little over three weeks later. Communicated via email and arranged an in person interview. Interview was very easy.. one of the easiest I've been through. I was interviewed by two selling managers of two prospective departments. They had a lot to tell me, I had a lot of questions and the interview lasted almost two hours. The talent development director called me back next Friday to request that I finish some online paperwork, and offered me the job the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when a customer's actions were beyond your expectation.
      Some light talk about designers (beginner level)

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They offered a very handsome hourly rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Applied online. Called recruiter to follow up. Had phone interview with recruiter. Forwarded my information to Saks talent director. Interviewed with talent director. Following week interviewed with department manager. Following week interviewed with another manager. She didn't really ask any questions, I asked all of the questions. She said I would be meeting with the general manager but he wasn't in that week. Got an email the next day from someone I never met with telling me that they did not want to proceed with my application. Questions were typical interview questions... Why do you want to work at Saks? Do you think you can handle the volume of work with having a clientele book.

Nothing hard.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard or unexpected. I think the interview process needs to be streamlined to resect candidates time. 3 interviews for a sales associate position was very unnecessary.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I Applied online. Received phone call then an e mail to set up interviews. It took 3 weeks. Met with department managers, HR, and assistant general manager. Very to the point. No trick questions. Only thing I don't like is the follow up. Hard to get a hold of them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Went through 4 interviewers (dept Mangers) in 2 different interviews. All very friendly and professional.

No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in January 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call from a recruiter two days later, who asked me a few questions abut my work expereince and told me she will set up the interview with HR in the store. The interview was set up for a couple of days later. HR person spent about 10 minutes with me, and than called the department manager to interview me. This was all followed up with an email from her offering me a job. Everything was smooth and easy, no awkward questions, everyone was extremely nice.

Not negotiable.