Saks Fifth Avenue

Average Difficulty
50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had an atypical experience I think. I was working for the Saks outlet in another state and wanted to work at the full line store when I relocated to NYC. I began by calling HR, I called everyday for a week before my call was returned. The HR director gave the contact information to Talent Acquisition. I spoke with that person for maybe 20-30 minutes and was asked to send a copy of my resume, which in turn would be sent to HR. I sent a thank you note with some 90% cocoa chocolate bars (in retrospect it probably left a bad impression as the chocolate is bitter and very much so an acquired taste). Anyway, I didn't hear back from them in the time frame given so I contacted talent acquisition with no response. To be proactive I called HR the following day and left a message and received no response. The day after I arrived to New York I sent talent acquisition an email letting them know I arrived in the city, I hear companies are very hesitant to move forward with applicants that aren't already in the city. Two days later he send me an email asking when I can meet with him, as luck would have it I was on 5th Avenue dropping off my resume at other stores and actually standing right in front of Saks. We set up a netting fir 45 minutes later bad he conducts an interview. During this time we discuss which floor I'd like to work on. I told him the 2nd or 3rd floors and he expressed concern about the size of my client book and the willingness of my clients to work with me now that I'm in a new stare. I communicated their expressed eagerness to still work with me since I was at a full line store and would have access to current merchandise. He recommended I start on the 5th floor, which is contemporary , because it would be easier to build clientele there. I agreed and asked about the potential to sell merchandise on other floors, which is not only acceptable it's encouraged. We talked about my availability, which was determined to be part-time as they don't do split shifts and I'm going yo school in the fall I would only be able to say I'm available on the days that I have no other obligations. Compensation was discussed, $10 an hour until I reach my weekly sales goal at which point I would earn commission based on the merchandise department (contemporary earns 6%, but if I sell something in another department I would earn whatever that commission is). He asks me to wait in the waiting room while he gets the contemporary manager to come up for an interview. While I'm waiting the department manager contacts OFF 5th and asks about me, they immediately sent me a text telling me they fave a glowing recommendation and she seemed very interested on bringing me on. I meet with the department manager and after some small talk we discussed the brand Vince, as that the area she mainly works in and the position I was applying for. She asks me if I was interested in working on another floor or if there were other brands I with which felt a deeper connection and I told her out of all the brands on the 5th floor Vince was my favorite bad would be a great position for me as I had experience selling the brand at the outlet bad was familiar with their aesthetic, but I knew a lot more about the brands on the 2nd and 3rd floors (2nd floor is higher bed designer wear like Etro, Ralph Lauren, St. John and the 3rd floor is high end more well known designers like Chanel, Prada, etcetera) not to mention those were brands I personally shopped. Not wanting to turn her off, while still ring honest I let her know that I was very much interested in selling Vince and 5th floor brands and I felt that floor would be a great launching pad for me since I could work with brands I've actually sold, but still have the opportunity to sell brands that I was more familiar with aesthetically at the same time while I built my client book. I go outside and wait while they speak to each other, then talent comes put to ask me if I was still employed by the Army and to make sure I had nothing that would interfere with the days I was available and to tell me I was no longer on OFF 5th's payroll (management at my old store told me they would keep me on payroll for two more weeks while I applied at the full line store). Then he tells me they will be in touch and I will hear back from them in a couple of days. Sine I'm waiting for a response, I figured I just share my experience in totality with anyone else interested.

Interview Questions

• Not a difficult question at all, but I was asked what does clienteleling mean to me.   Answer Question
  • How would I be able to sell to clients effectively that I had in the south if I were in NYC.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in November 2012.

Interview Details – I checked out every department to see where I'd most like to work. I walked around, talked to several sales associates to see what the work environment was like. Once I decided on the department, I asked a sales associate for the head manager. I expressed my interest to the head manager and gave him my resume. I was called that afternoon for an interview the next day. Initial interview was with a HR manager, then I met with two department managers. I was made an offer the following day.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult questions but was definitely asked some good ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't need to negotiate. Great commission!

Very Easy Interview

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Interviewed with Department manager, human resources, and assistant merchandising manager. Each interview was one on one with standard interview questions. Total time about 90 mins. Dress trendy but professional and show that you are interested in fashion and can stand pressure.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Screen, Interview with dep. manager, hr manager, recruiter and line account executive. You must wow them with your dedication to giving superior customer service and be ready to tell how you have done so and how you plan to do that and more at Saks,

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue

Interview Details – Interview was easy nice environment was late for the interview and they said nothing. The hiring manager was easy to talk to but the assistant was quiet and made things uneasy. I am not sure they knew what they were doing maybe they were new at the interview thing!

Interview Question – What about your future?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in November 2013.

Interview Details – Typical interview process..met with various assistant managers and the HR executives before final meeting with department manager.

Interview Question – Pretty easy as far as the interview went. They'll paint a very pretty picture but in reality don't deliver or keep their word.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well, negotiated a higher base salary with lower commission, but it was never implemented. When bringing it to the attention of the head of HR (who emailed me with the plan)f verbally denied having a such conversation.

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue in April 2010.

Interview Details – Tell them you have a client book. I've been through 4 or 5 interviews with other companies, Saks is not like that. Don't ask about discount during your interview. It's good, just know that. Dress the part. Buttoned-up is a pretty safe bet. Don't tell them eventually you would like to transfer to corporate. They want someone that will stay and sell forever.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had a difficult customer. Have an answer prepared. Hard to think of those on the spot sometimes   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You get what you get. Sales positions are draw vs. commission

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a phone call from hr a few days later, went in for an interview with hr manager, and another interview with department manager, got an offer, process took less than a week.

Interview Question – All easy questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by the store's executive assistant a little over three weeks later. Communicated via email and arranged an in person interview. Interview was very easy.. one of the easiest I've been through. I was interviewed by two selling managers of two prospective departments. They had a lot to tell me, I had a lot of questions and the interview lasted almost two hours. The talent development director called me back next Friday to request that I finish some online paperwork, and offered me the job the following Monday.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when a customer's actions were beyond your expectation.
Some light talk about designers (beginner level)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They offered a very handsome hourly rate.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Interview Details – Applied online. Called recruiter to follow up. Had phone interview with recruiter. Forwarded my information to Saks talent director. Interviewed with talent director. Following week interviewed with department manager. Following week interviewed with another manager. She didn't really ask any questions, I asked all of the questions. She said I would be meeting with the general manager but he wasn't in that week. Got an email the next day from someone I never met with telling me that they did not want to proceed with my application. Questions were typical interview questions... Why do you want to work at Saks? Do you think you can handle the volume of work with having a clientele book.

Nothing hard.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard or unexpected. I think the interview process needs to be streamlined to resect candidates time. 3 interviews for a sales associate position was very unnecessary.   Answer Question

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!