Salem Hospital

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Staff Interview

IT Staff
Salem, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salem Hospital.

Interview Details – Initially received email invitation to interview and it took a couple of weeks to go through phone screens and schedule an onsite interview. When I got onsite and started the interview it turned out to be very different from how the job was initially described. The staff questions and job expectations were different from the description by the hiring manager during phone screens. Classic bait and switch interview process.There seems to be a disconnect between management and staff where management is out of touch with day to day activities.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question from the staff was, "Were you given a description of this job?" I repeated the description as it was described to me and they looked confused and acted like it was my shortcoming. That was the end of the interview. From my albeit limited exposure to the organization it seems like a highly politicized environment where popularity counts more than ability. Even if it went well and I were offered a job I would turn it down because I value skills over politics. As a 20 year IT veteran I can spot dysfunction when I see it.   Answer Question

CNA Interview

CNA
Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Salem Hospital in June 2010.

Interview Details – Email confirmation for resume received, two person interview. Emailed back that I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – A conflict that you had with prior manager, how was it resolved.   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Staff RN
Salem, OR

I applied online and interviewed at Salem Hospital.

Interview Details – I think interview questions are focused on attitude/behavior and skill. Management wants to see how well you would work as a team member, how you would react to different situations and if you are self motivated. There is also a big emphasis on patient satisfaction.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't feel like there was any negotiation. It was basically, "Here's what we pay for this job. If you agree, sign here."

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Salem Hospital in August 2010.

Interview Details – The whole hiring process takes a very long time for any position.
I first had a half hour conference phone interview with 3 people. They were not prepared. In fact, as I was on the phone, they told me they were looking up the questions they were to use.
After a couple of weeks, I was notified that I was selected for a second interview.
I interviewed first with the management team and later that day I interviewed with supervisors (6 of them). It was not very organized.
I was not too impressed with the how friendly some people were. I would walk by staff and no one tried to say or even smile.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you encountered a problem in the workplace with a coworker and how did you handle it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO. Human resources gives you an offer and that is it.

Staff RN Interview

Staff RN

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Salem Hospital in October 2010.

Interview Details – I went through an initial rounds of interviews that was a bit like speed dating. They interviewed over 130 applicants that day. You waited in line and when a table opened up you sat with two managers who asked you three questions. Your first round of interview lasts about 5 minutes. Then, you leave and wait for the news. If you are lucky enough to have sparked an interest in one of the managers eyes, you'll be invited back for a second interview which is panel style with 4-5 managers each rotating asking you a series of clinical and basic interview questions. The clinical questions are to see your critical thinking process. If you don't know the answer, talk it out. It's better than not saying anything! They are basic nursing assessment and intervention questions. Each of the interviews is fairly well organized. I think my second interview lasted between 30-45 minutes. I was offered a job and began my orientation about a month later. I have found that most of the managers are very open to suggestions for improvement and the units are very focused on patient satisfaction scores. That being said, I have nearly always felt supported and informed. I love working at this hospital!

Interview Question – One was service-oriented....service excellence. What is an example of a time that you demonstrated service excellence?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate. Their offer is their offer. Don't like it? They'll move to the next candidate.

Worked for Salem Hospital? Contribute to the Community!