Salesforce Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.5

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

The interview process was rigorous but straightforward, consisting of two telephone calls with the internal recruiter, one telephone call with the hiring manager, a group interview with the hiring manager and a top-performing account executive, and a final interview consisting of a mock presentation. Everybody I met with was professional, intelligent, and positive. Preparation and genuine enthusiasm are absolutely critical.

Interview Questions

• Why Salesforce versus the competition, specifically?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with Recruiter. Phone interview with Hiring Manager. Skype interview with two managers. In-person presentation based on Salesforce template with two managers and Regional VP of Sales.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you needed access to a decision-maker, but faced major obstacles. How did you solve that problem and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very scripted. Had two interviews with two different recruiters and they both asked the same exact questions. The first lady showed up 12 mins late and the 2nd one showed up 16 mins late and told m she had 10 mins till her next call. Very unprofessional and rude. Really dont get why they did this, but either way i thought I was talking to two robots. I had very strict stipulations as for travel and relocation in which they couldnt meet my needs so i decided not to continue conversations. I was referred by a current sfdc employee and received an interview the next day which was great

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Walk me through your resume?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy, however it moves at a steady pace with regular updates and feedback. 4 part interview. 1st Recruiter Screens you over the phone. 2nd Phone Interview with Hiring manager. 3rd is in-person interview with hiring manager and VP of sales. 4th is in-person presentation w/ hiring manager, recruiter, and 2 VP of sales.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Interview

Starts with an internal recruiter, followed by a LOB manager (RVP) in-person interview. Then there is an interview with one or more other LOB managers (could be phone or in person). The last step is a 30 minute preso you have to give to 3 managers. Though this will sound like sour grapes (I wasn't given an offer because of this stage), I felt this was a bit of a no-win situation. You're given a scenario (3 execs who missed last quarter's sales target, looking to improve sales and forecasting) and a slide deck and told to sell SFDC to them. Asking discovery questions is a big deal to them, but you've got to be done in 30 minutes (and the deck is 17 slides long). I got hit with a major curveball early in the discussion by the "CIO" - "Microsoft is offering their CRM for free, and we don't have funds at the end of this fiscal year, and we already have a team of .NET developers in-house, so why should we spend money on SFDC?" Good luck answering that one. Another funny one - my interview was 1/15, but the "CIO" tells me (during this meeting) that it's October and they have very little time until the end of the year (this factoid wasn't part of the scenario). Tell me, who walks into a meeting and doesn't know what day it is? That element was unrealistic. This did a good job of derailing a short meeting, and I never got to the Next Steps portion. I was told the next morning that I wouldn't be getting an offer because of poor discovery questions (who is the decision maker, timeline to decide), failure to secure next steps, and failure to differentiate between SFDC and MSFT. (Sidenote, the recruiter's prep email indicated that any question about SFDC/MSFT should be seen as a cloud/on-premise issue and answered as such, which is what I did. And it was summarily shot down.)

Another piece of information for those wanting a job at SFDC (I thought I did). I was "warned" by the gent who would have become my LOB manager that this is a "younger" crowd with a "young mindset" - meaning they don't have families, are willing to work late, go out to bars after working and basically work becomes their life. I'm a little older than that (18 years in the market). They also require daily commutes to the office. I've telecommuted for nearly a decade and was reticent to return to rush hour, so maybe not getting an offer was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your interview prep and career decisions.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle working with a team of predominantly younger people?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Awkward at best. The Recruiter seemed rushed to move me into an interview process which I took as a positive sign. Interview was at their year end so several Managers could not attend. The one who did seemed stressed out and although would ask me questions did not allow me to really answer. Focused more on my past earnings and actually stated that he is afraid I havnt tasted what it's like to really make money that people on his team make $800k. Held me over the allotted hour for further questions which was not productive.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough from the first contact with HR and every step along the way. You need to deliver a presentation, take your time and prepare -- it counts! You will stand out by asking good questions. To get a feel of the company culture, read “Behind the Cloud” by Marc Benioff.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why we should hire you over another candidate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Interview

I was hired through Linkedin through a recruiter and I thought the hiring process was smooth and run a good pace.

Interview Questions

• Provide a game plan of how you would map and execute your territory plan. I thought this was a good question and I was prepared and I would recommend that you provide a lot of thought in how you will reach your goal to overperform at Salesforce.com   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

All phone calls interviews

Interview Questions

• Key success factors in the company you want to work in?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in December 2013.

Interview

Salesforce is no doubt a really awesome company, but I will say their recruiting/hiring department leaves something to be desired. It seems like their recruiting department is very disorganized. You can never get a hold of the recruiters (who contacted me by the way). Even the recruiters have assistants. Now, when they want to be the recruiters can be very aggressive...but when you need to get in touch with them or have questions. No response! I was contacted by an "assistant" recruiter for a higher level sales role. Although I was very interested in working for a great company like Salesforce I decided the travel for this particular position was too much for me (over 50%). I was also surprised to learn that they are a bit of a micromanaging company. On days that you don't travel you must be in the office 100% of the time. That seems like a little too much. Spend 12+ hours traveling a couple days in a row, and then you'd be required to report to the office the morning you return for a full day? Not a very good work/life balance in my opinion. I informed the recruiter's assistant that although I was flattered they reached out, I was going to have to pass because of the level of travel. That's when she informed me there was another AE position in SMB that was only 25-30% travel. I told her that was more doable so she scheduled a phone interview with her senior recruiter. This is where it went down hill. The senior recruiter had no availability to speak with me during my lunch hour or after hours (I was trying to stay off the radar with my current employer) for 2 weeks. When we finally did have a scheduled time, she blew me off. I sent a couple emails and finally wrote one that was a bit more firm. Asked her "assistant" if there was another recruiter I could speak with and suddenly she made time for me. The conversation went well, although I felt I was just repeating myself from the conversation I had with her assistant. The next step was to speak with the guy who would be my boss.

My initial conversation with this guy got interrupted because my current boss was blowing my phone up. I was so embarrassed, but I had to cut our talk short and reschedule. He understood I was in a position that I couldn't rock the boat too much until I received my bonus at the end of the month and said "he'd do the same thing if his boss was calling." Now this guy was really nice, very accommodating, and was willing to to speak again on the weekend which I appreciated. Our 1 hour scheduled called lasted an hour and a half. We had a great conversation! I have never felt so on my "A" game. I am usually pretty hard on myself too. He said he was planning to be moving down to the states (he was living in another country) in a couple months so I knew this might be a process, but told him I was in for the long hall. Sent my usual thank you email ...and never for a moment doubted at least the next step. Then a few days later I got a form email from the recruiter that said they had decided to not "pursue" me. I was so confused only because we weren't that deep in the process (but deep enough), the conversation with this guy went great...and the recruiting team was the one pursuing me heavily the whole time. I immediately sent a very polite email to both recruiters and the prospective boss asking why they had decided to pass on me as a candidate. I told them I like to take these rejections as a learning tool and if they had any suggestions/critique for me it would be greatly appreciated. I never heard anything back from the recruiters and the manager wrote one sentence back saying they were going in a "different direction" in the hiring process. I assumed that meant "rejection" but someone told me they thought it meant things were on hold. The SMB job was taken down for a while ...and now has reappeared. Very strange. Bottom line...you are better off if you network and connect with a senior person at Salesforce first and have them get your resume/name into the candidate pool vs.only dealing with the recruiting professionals. It's like a factory...very little "customer service" in my opinion. I just expected more from a company like salesforce.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you experienced a "win" in your sales career and how you got the deal. Conversely, explain a time when you lost a sale and how that helped you grow as a sales person.   1 Answer