Salesforce Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015
Updated Mar 14, 2015

3.5

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very scripted. Had two interviews with two different recruiters and they both asked the same exact questions. The first lady showed up 12 mins late and the 2nd one showed up 16 mins late and told m she had 10 mins till her next call. Very unprofessional and rude. Really dont get why they did this, but either way i thought I was talking to two robots. I had very strict stipulations as for travel and relocation in which they couldnt meet my needs so i decided not to continue conversations. I was referred by a current sfdc employee and received an interview the next day which was great

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Walk me through your resume?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Interview

Starts with an internal recruiter, followed by a LOB manager (RVP) in-person interview. Then there is an interview with one or more other LOB managers (could be phone or in person). The last step is a 30 minute preso you have to give to 3 managers. Though this will sound like sour grapes (I wasn't given an offer because of this stage), I felt this was a bit of a no-win situation. You're given a scenario (3 execs who missed last quarter's sales target, looking to improve sales and forecasting) and a slide deck and told to sell SFDC to them. Asking discovery questions is a big deal to them, but you've got to be done in 30 minutes (and the deck is 17 slides long). I got hit with a major curveball early in the discussion by the "CIO" - "Microsoft is offering their CRM for free, and we don't have funds at the end of this fiscal year, and we already have a team of .NET developers in-house, so why should we spend money on SFDC?" Good luck answering that one. Another funny one - my interview was 1/15, but the "CIO" tells me (during this meeting) that it's October and they have very little time until the end of the year (this factoid wasn't part of the scenario). Tell me, who walks into a meeting and doesn't know what day it is? That element was unrealistic. This did a good job of derailing a short meeting, and I never got to the Next Steps portion. I was told the next morning that I wouldn't be getting an offer because of poor discovery questions (who is the decision maker, timeline to decide), failure to secure next steps, and failure to differentiate between SFDC and MSFT. (Sidenote, the recruiter's prep email indicated that any question about SFDC/MSFT should be seen as a cloud/on-premise issue and answered as such, which is what I did. And it was summarily shot down.)

Another piece of information for those wanting a job at SFDC (I thought I did). I was "warned" by the gent who would have become my LOB manager that this is a "younger" crowd with a "young mindset" - meaning they don't have families, are willing to work late, go out to bars after working and basically work becomes their life. I'm a little older than that (18 years in the market). They also require daily commutes to the office. I've telecommuted for nearly a decade and was reticent to return to rush hour, so maybe not getting an offer was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your interview prep and career decisions.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle working with a team of predominantly younger people?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Awkward at best. The Recruiter seemed rushed to move me into an interview process which I took as a positive sign. Interview was at their year end so several Managers could not attend. The one who did seemed stressed out and although would ask me questions did not allow me to really answer. Focused more on my past earnings and actually stated that he is afraid I havnt tasted what it's like to really make money that people on his team make $800k. Held me over the allotted hour for further questions which was not productive.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough from the first contact with HR and every step along the way. You need to deliver a presentation, take your time and prepare -- it counts! You will stand out by asking good questions. To get a feel of the company culture, read “Behind the Cloud” by Marc Benioff.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why we should hire you over another candidate?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Interview

I was hired through Linkedin through a recruiter and I thought the hiring process was smooth and run a good pace.

Interview Questions

• Provide a game plan of how you would map and execute your territory plan. I thought this was a good question and I was prepared and I would recommend that you provide a lot of thought in how you will reach your goal to overperform at Salesforce.com   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

All phone calls interviews

Interview Questions

• Key success factors in the company you want to work in?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in December 2013.

Interview

Salesforce is no doubt a really awesome company, but I will say their recruiting/hiring department leaves something to be desired. It seems like their recruiting department is very disorganized. You can never get a hold of the recruiters (who contacted me by the way). Even the recruiters have assistants. Now, when they want to be the recruiters can be very aggressive...but when you need to get in touch with them or have questions. No response! I was contacted by an "assistant" recruiter for a higher level sales role. Although I was very interested in working for a great company like Salesforce I decided the travel for this particular position was too much for me (over 50%). I was also surprised to learn that they are a bit of a micromanaging company. On days that you don't travel you must be in the office 100% of the time. That seems like a little too much. Spend 12+ hours traveling a couple days in a row, and then you'd be required to report to the office the morning you return for a full day? Not a very good work/life balance in my opinion. I informed the recruiter's assistant that although I was flattered they reached out, I was going to have to pass because of the level of travel. That's when she informed me there was another AE position in SMB that was only 25-30% travel. I told her that was more doable so she scheduled a phone interview with her senior recruiter. This is where it went down hill. The senior recruiter had no availability to speak with me during my lunch hour or after hours (I was trying to stay off the radar with my current employer) for 2 weeks. When we finally did have a scheduled time, she blew me off. I sent a couple emails and finally wrote one that was a bit more firm. Asked her "assistant" if there was another recruiter I could speak with and suddenly she made time for me. The conversation went well, although I felt I was just repeating myself from the conversation I had with her assistant. The next step was to speak with the guy who would be my boss.

My initial conversation with this guy got interrupted because my current boss was blowing my phone up. I was so embarrassed, but I had to cut our talk short and reschedule. He understood I was in a position that I couldn't rock the boat too much until I received my bonus at the end of the month and said "he'd do the same thing if his boss was calling." Now this guy was really nice, very accommodating, and was willing to to speak again on the weekend which I appreciated. Our 1 hour scheduled called lasted an hour and a half. We had a great conversation! I have never felt so on my "A" game. I am usually pretty hard on myself too. He said he was planning to be moving down to the states (he was living in another country) in a couple months so I knew this might be a process, but told him I was in for the long hall. Sent my usual thank you email ...and never for a moment doubted at least the next step. Then a few days later I got a form email from the recruiter that said they had decided to not "pursue" me. I was so confused only because we weren't that deep in the process (but deep enough), the conversation with this guy went great...and the recruiting team was the one pursuing me heavily the whole time. I immediately sent a very polite email to both recruiters and the prospective boss asking why they had decided to pass on me as a candidate. I told them I like to take these rejections as a learning tool and if they had any suggestions/critique for me it would be greatly appreciated. I never heard anything back from the recruiters and the manager wrote one sentence back saying they were going in a "different direction" in the hiring process. I assumed that meant "rejection" but someone told me they thought it meant things were on hold. The SMB job was taken down for a while ...and now has reappeared. Very strange. Bottom line...you are better off if you network and connect with a senior person at Salesforce first and have them get your resume/name into the candidate pool vs.only dealing with the recruiting professionals. It's like a factory...very little "customer service" in my opinion. I just expected more from a company like salesforce.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you experienced a "win" in your sales career and how you got the deal. Conversely, explain a time when you lost a sale and how that helped you grow as a sales person.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Interview

Hiring process was long. Very disappointed in how it was handled. Started out with a recruiter contacting me through linked in. Had two phone interviews with HR and two onsite interviews with 3 regional Vice Presidents. Interviews went well and as I tried to close them, was told directly from the VP's that they really liked me and were going to recommend me for the next and final step which is the sales presentation. Didn't hear back from HR, so by the 4th day, I reached out and asked her about next steps. She scheduled a time the following day to speak with me. On the call she mentioned while they had a lot of positive things to say - but they decided to pass on me. I wish HR would have done a better job of screening so I would not have had to waste so much of my time going into the city, paying for parking, etc. I also wish the recruiters would have been more responsive. It always took days to get back to me, and to be honest, felt like I was just a number. Someone mentioned in an earlier review that they are over hiring in sales, and I think that is right.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The recruiters were great, set up 3 phone calls, one with the sales manager. Got to the panel in person interview with a few more managers and the VP of the division.

The first portion was a grilling 45min process asking me the same questions about my previous jobs. How many times can one person answer, what was your weakness???
    The VP was obnoxious, he would ask me questions, and as I answered he would cut me off to go to the next. He was impatient and seemed like he didn't want to be there.

The other managers were not too engaged, they were on their laptops. For a company that claims to be so superior, their heads must have gotten too big or I just got a bad interview group. After this I was not excited to work there, I found the division VP patronizing.

Interview Questions

• What was your weakness (10 times for 10 different situations)?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I had a screen HR interview, followed by a web interview with hiring manager and VP of sales, followed by pitch presentation. Nice process, but lots of prep time for presentation.

Interview Questions

• None, but they did ask about a free trial as a bait.   3 Answers