Salesforce

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

3.2

Software Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

The overall process took around 1 month to complete. I had a referral from a friend and they contacted me about a week after I applied. The interview process itself took about 2 weeks and consisted of 2 45-minute interviews which were a mix of both behavioral and technical questions. Specifically the first interviewer asked me about relevant experience on my resume, asked an algorithm question, asked 2 behavioral 'give me a time when...' questions, then asked me what about the company I was interested in. The second interviewer asked me 1 behavioral question, 2 algorithm/technical questions, and asked what kind of work I wanted to do.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Question: Given a deck of unshuffled cards, how would you go about shuffling the cards and what was the Big-O complexity.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate considering the salary was very competitive.

Member of Technical Staff (Software Engineer) Interview

Did a 2 hour coding challenge, then came onsite for a series of interviews. Questions weren't extremely difficult algorithmically, but did make me think. Felt like most of the challenge was in the coding challenge and not the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The coding challenge was the most difficult aspect of the interview experience   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I had two initial phone screenings with a recruiter which were pretty basic. She went through my resume and made sure I had enough sales experience to move on to the next round. The next round consisted of an in-person panel interview with upper management. They once again go over your resume and ask you questions throughout the panel. Why do you want to be in sales? Why Salesforce? How competitive are you? Etc.

Overall, everyone I dealt with throughout the process was very helpful and eager to coach you up to succeed in the interviews. Great experience!

Interview Questions
    • Elevator pitch describing Salesforce to your grandmother   Answer Question
    None. All SR's start out the same.

Sales Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Salesforce.

The most unprofessional interview experience ever. Three phone interviews and then a black hole. I sent thank you emails and follow-up messages to the recruiter and manager and never received an acknowledgement or response. This company might be listed as a great company to work for but their candidate interview experience gets a failing grade.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Starts with an internal recruiter, followed by a LOB manager (RVP) in-person interview. Then there is an interview with one or more other LOB managers (could be phone or in person). The last step is a 30 minute preso you have to give to 3 managers. Though this will sound like sour grapes (I wasn't given an offer because of this stage), I felt this was a bit of a no-win situation. You're given a scenario (3 execs who missed last quarter's sales target, looking to improve sales and forecasting) and a slide deck and told to sell SFDC to them. Asking discovery questions is a big deal to them, but you've got to be done in 30 minutes (and the deck is 17 slides long). I got hit with a major curveball early in the discussion by the "CIO" - "Microsoft is offering their CRM for free, and we don't have funds at the end of this fiscal year, and we already have a team of .NET developers in-house, so why should we spend money on SFDC?" Good luck answering that one. Another funny one - my interview was 1/15, but the "CIO" tells me (during this meeting) that it's October and they have very little time until the end of the year (this factoid wasn't part of the scenario). Tell me, who walks into a meeting and doesn't know what day it is? That element was unrealistic. This did a good job of derailing a short meeting, and I never got to the Next Steps portion. I was told the next morning that I wouldn't be getting an offer because of poor discovery questions (who is the decision maker, timeline to decide), failure to secure next steps, and failure to differentiate between SFDC and MSFT. (Sidenote, the recruiter's prep email indicated that any question about SFDC/MSFT should be seen as a cloud/on-premise issue and answered as such, which is what I did. And it was summarily shot down.)

Another piece of information for those wanting a job at SFDC (I thought I did). I was "warned" by the gent who would have become my LOB manager that this is a "younger" crowd with a "young mindset" - meaning they don't have families, are willing to work late, go out to bars after working and basically work becomes their life. I'm a little older than that (18 years in the market). They also require daily commutes to the office. I've telecommuted for nearly a decade and was reticent to return to rush hour, so maybe not getting an offer was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your interview prep and career decisions.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle working with a team of predominantly younger people?   View Answer

Account Executive - Small/Medium Business (SMB) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Salesforce.

I applied on the company website. I received an email back from an HR recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview. During my phone interview the HR rep seemed very rushed, he spoke so fast I was barely able to take legible notes. It was all very scripted, he sounded like he was reading straight off a script, probably has the same conversation 50 times per day. He went over some deal breakers like travel, office time requirements, location, etc. He also wanted to know if I knew anyone at the company. I felt that I seemed to lose major points for the fact that I did not currently live in the city the office is located, even though I said it would be no problem for me to move there, and I also lost points for not having an inside referral. He went over my background of which I have plenty of experience, education, and qualifications for this position. He explained some details about the process, answered my questions, but it all seemed very rushed, and mechanical. I had more questions, but he seems to cut me off at the end an wrap up the call, saying he was coming up against his next call. He told me he would meet with the hiring manager, then they would get back to me if I was selected to move forward. The next day I received an email stating I was not selected to move forward. Not a big surprise from what I have read and how they conducted this interview, seems you need to currently live in the city, know someone on the inside, and be prepared to become a kool-aid drinking robot.

SMB Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce.

I initially applied through Linkedin and was contacted by a Junior recruiter from their SF office. After that call, the person scheduled me for a follow up HR interview. The second HR hiring manager no-showed on the call and I never heard from them as to why the no-show. Two months later, I get a call from another HR person and they didn't explain but had me restart the process. After three calls (Jr HR, Sr HR, Sales Manager) and a few follow up HR calls to review any other calls, I had no idea how long the process would go on for. Finally, they let me know I made it to the final round and were flying down the hiring team from San Francisco for the interview of finalists. I had to prepare a lengthy PowerPoint deal review consisting of a an overview of two deals I had one as well as slides about my history and how they applied to the position. I was offered a coaching session with HR previous to the presentation but passed on this.

The day after I gave a harrowing PPT presentation with subsequent panel interview, I found out that they they hired someone much more senior than myself with a CRM sales background. I was flattered to have made it so far but thought they could have saved me the trouble if they were looking for a person with 10 years sales experience and several years that were directly related. It's an intense process so get ready to run the gauntlet, repeat everything many times over and go above and beyond to get hired here. It was still a beneficial experience for me and since it's Salesforce they can afford to be exacting and lengthy in their approach to new hires.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how your personality makes you a fit to sell cloud CRM   Answer Question

Senior Consultant (Cloud Platform) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

I Applied online after seeing the open position on LinkedIn Got a call from the recruiter promptly in 3 week's time.Had a phone interview with the recruiter who scheduled me with the BI manager in charge of cloud. Not selected (reply came back the very next day).They are Looking for someone with product consulting not services consulting.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I had a total of 5 interviews. The first two were phone screening by a recruiter and then another HR person, the third was another phone screening by the hiring manager, the fourth was in person at the headquarters in SF, the fifth (final presentation round) was in person at the headquarters as well.

My first 4 interviews went extremely well. I struck a rapport with the interviewers and answered all of the behavioral questions flawlessly. The only difficult part was the fourth interview where high level manager in sales tried to give me a hard time by asking me to conduct a role play where he was my grandfather and I was his grandson setting up a VCR. The object was to have me explain a detailed technical concept to someone poorly equipped to comprehend the details. He kept asking follow up questions and pretending not to understand as a way to test me.

I got invited for a final round. It was a hypothetical sales presentation to a client team. It would be 30 minutes and I was given information on the fictitious company I would be selling to. They offered me a dry run to give a version of the presentation which would not be evaluated in their final decision. And we set the date for my actual final presentation (due to schedule limitations this was set almost a month later).

This is where things went south for me.
    * I planned 30 minutes worth of material, without building in time for questions
    * they intentionally interrupted me a lot which threw me off of my rehearsed pitch
    * They played hostile & skeptical
    * I was unable to finish my presentation & demo in the allotted time due to the interruptions
    * I did not take them up on the offer to do a "dry run", which in retrospect was a big mistake (although I made that calculated decision based on my availability and a desire not to 'appear weak' which very bad idea)
    * I believed all the elements in the story/context document I was provided were fictitious, but some of the elements were real such as Salesforce's competition Goldmine (which is what the client was currently using). Had I done enough research I would have spotted this and done a thorough analysis of the benefits of Salesforce over the current *real* product
    * I appeared to have a superficial knowledge of sales, and didn't use basic techniques such as creating a sense of urgency
    *because of them giving me a hard time they made me a little visibly/audibly nervous, they disliked this and became increasingly hostile (actually hostile, not just in the fictitious context)
    *I mostly prepared by giving my presentation to friends and family (who are not very critical), watching their online sales webcasts and creating really really nice slides (I prepared a lot, but not the right way).

I had a post-interview with the recruiter to talk about the process. He was very respectful and said the team thought I was a stunning candidate until I flubbed the final presentation. He did not offer any specific feedback though.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked, "Is that how they present at <<my current employer>>" -- Intended as a derogatory quip   View Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce.

I was contacted through Linkedin by an internal recruiter who asked for a initial phone call. The recruiter vetted my background, achievements and decided I was a good candidate for an in-person interview. The recruiter had great energy and I was enthusiastic about my interview with the regional VP's.

The hiring managers were very disinterested - they asked me some token questions about my background and about 10 minutes in said, "do you have any questions for us?"

I wrapped the interview up early.

Interview Questions
    • If we cannot tell you what your territory would be or what target accounts you'll have, would you take the job?   Answer Question