Salesforce

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.2

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Salesforce.

I was referred through a friend. The process took about 2 weeks. First I had a phone interview with the recruiter and then was invited in for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I first met with a Sales Rep for 30 minutes and then with a panel of three managers for about an hour. They want to see that you're energetic, articulate, competitive and excited about Salesforce. I had a very positive experience but ultimately accepted another offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why Salesforce? Why sales? How would you explain Salesforce to somebody on the street? If we were to ask your current boss, what would she say is a strength of yours and what is a weakness?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce.

Got an email from HR, set up a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. Was told that the next stage would include scripting challenges and had 48 hours to complete. Challenges were on Javascript, CSS, and Ruby. It takes a little long to complete but that may be because I wasn't too familiar with Ruby.

SMB Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce.

I submitted an application online through the SFDC website. A recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview within a day. I was contacted within 3 days for a phone Interview with Recruiter. The next steps were a phone interview with Hiring Manager and Panel presentation and Interview at SFDC HQ.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Explain the cloud, do I use CRM, proudest sales accomplishment? The interviewer really focused on my experience at my current employer although I have a few employers listed on my resume (focused on recent experience).   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

The overall process took around 1 month to complete. I had a referral from a friend and they contacted me about a week after I applied. The interview process itself took about 2 weeks and consisted of 2 45-minute interviews which were a mix of both behavioral and technical questions. Specifically the first interviewer asked me about relevant experience on my resume, asked an algorithm question, asked 2 behavioral 'give me a time when...' questions, then asked me what about the company I was interested in. The second interviewer asked me 1 behavioral question, 2 algorithm/technical questions, and asked what kind of work I wanted to do.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Question: Given a deck of unshuffled cards, how would you go about shuffling the cards and what was the Big-O complexity.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate considering the salary was very competitive.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I had two initial phone screenings with a recruiter which were pretty basic. She went through my resume and made sure I had enough sales experience to move on to the next round. The next round consisted of an in-person panel interview with upper management. They once again go over your resume and ask you questions throughout the panel. Why do you want to be in sales? Why Salesforce? How competitive are you? Etc.

Overall, everyone I dealt with throughout the process was very helpful and eager to coach you up to succeed in the interviews. Great experience!

Interview Questions
    • Elevator pitch describing Salesforce to your grandmother   Answer Question
    None. All SR's start out the same.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Starts with an internal recruiter, followed by a LOB manager (RVP) in-person interview. Then there is an interview with one or more other LOB managers (could be phone or in person). The last step is a 30 minute preso you have to give to 3 managers. Though this will sound like sour grapes (I wasn't given an offer because of this stage), I felt this was a bit of a no-win situation. You're given a scenario (3 execs who missed last quarter's sales target, looking to improve sales and forecasting) and a slide deck and told to sell SFDC to them. Asking discovery questions is a big deal to them, but you've got to be done in 30 minutes (and the deck is 17 slides long). I got hit with a major curveball early in the discussion by the "CIO" - "Microsoft is offering their CRM for free, and we don't have funds at the end of this fiscal year, and we already have a team of .NET developers in-house, so why should we spend money on SFDC?" Good luck answering that one. Another funny one - my interview was 1/15, but the "CIO" tells me (during this meeting) that it's October and they have very little time until the end of the year (this factoid wasn't part of the scenario). Tell me, who walks into a meeting and doesn't know what day it is? That element was unrealistic. This did a good job of derailing a short meeting, and I never got to the Next Steps portion. I was told the next morning that I wouldn't be getting an offer because of poor discovery questions (who is the decision maker, timeline to decide), failure to secure next steps, and failure to differentiate between SFDC and MSFT. (Sidenote, the recruiter's prep email indicated that any question about SFDC/MSFT should be seen as a cloud/on-premise issue and answered as such, which is what I did. And it was summarily shot down.)

Another piece of information for those wanting a job at SFDC (I thought I did). I was "warned" by the gent who would have become my LOB manager that this is a "younger" crowd with a "young mindset" - meaning they don't have families, are willing to work late, go out to bars after working and basically work becomes their life. I'm a little older than that (18 years in the market). They also require daily commutes to the office. I've telecommuted for nearly a decade and was reticent to return to rush hour, so maybe not getting an offer was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your interview prep and career decisions.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle working with a team of predominantly younger people?   View Answer

Sales Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Salesforce.

The most unprofessional interview experience ever. Three phone interviews and then a black hole. I sent thank you emails and follow-up messages to the recruiter and manager and never received an acknowledgement or response. This company might be listed as a great company to work for but their candidate interview experience gets a failing grade.

Member of Technical Staff (Software Engineer) Interview

Did a 2 hour coding challenge, then came onsite for a series of interviews. Questions weren't extremely difficult algorithmically, but did make me think. Felt like most of the challenge was in the coding challenge and not the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The coding challenge was the most difficult aspect of the interview experience   Answer Question

Account Executive - Small/Medium Business (SMB) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Salesforce.

I applied on the company website. I received an email back from an HR recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview. During my phone interview the HR rep seemed very rushed, he spoke so fast I was barely able to take legible notes. It was all very scripted, he sounded like he was reading straight off a script, probably has the same conversation 50 times per day. He went over some deal breakers like travel, office time requirements, location, etc. He also wanted to know if I knew anyone at the company. I felt that I seemed to lose major points for the fact that I did not currently live in the city the office is located, even though I said it would be no problem for me to move there, and I also lost points for not having an inside referral. He went over my background of which I have plenty of experience, education, and qualifications for this position. He explained some details about the process, answered my questions, but it all seemed very rushed, and mechanical. I had more questions, but he seems to cut me off at the end an wrap up the call, saying he was coming up against his next call. He told me he would meet with the hiring manager, then they would get back to me if I was selected to move forward. The next day I received an email stating I was not selected to move forward. Not a big surprise from what I have read and how they conducted this interview, seems you need to currently live in the city, know someone on the inside, and be prepared to become a kool-aid drinking robot.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

The best interview process I ever had in my life. Great work of recruiters, Company and employees who were participating in interview loop. Salesforce interview process should be an example for the rest of IT industry as it is done with utmost respect to the candidate, allows to check candidate skills from various points and also gives the great feeling about the company. Interview process consists of 3 stages:
    1. Interview with hiring manager
    2. Remote Coding Test (RPT)
    3. On-site interview
       You go to next stage if you pass the current stage. Advice for RPT stage: to pass this stage you need consider the task as a real life task, describe your assumptions and absolutely be good at managing your time (total test time is 2 hours - not a minute more). You definitely will not complete all test for the given time, but make sure you describe what you decided to implement first and why. Also, leave time within those 2 hours for unit tests. Consider corner cases from real life experience.

Again, it is the best interview experience I had in my life and Salesforce is a great company to work in.

Interview Questions
    • - Hiring manager stage: find all words which start from particular letter (case insensitive)

- Remote Coding Test stage: implements components installer (implement the following methods: MakeDependency(component1, component2) // makes component1 dependent on component2
      Install(component1) // installs component1 and components it is dependent upon (if they're not installed already)
      Remove(component2) // removes component1 and components it is dependent upon if they're not used by other installed components.
      Note: component1 can be dependent on component2 and component3; and component4 can be dependent on component2

- On-site interview: lots of technical questions like implement itoa, find kth largest in array, how to implement unit-tests, lots of behavioral questions.

Answer Question