Salesforce

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

The best interview process I ever had in my life. Great work of recruiters, Company and employees who were participating in interview loop. Salesforce interview process should be an example for the rest of IT industry as it is done with utmost respect to the candidate, allows to check candidate skills from various points and also gives the great feeling about the company. Interview process consists of 3 stages:
    1. Interview with hiring manager
    2. Remote Coding Test (RPT)
    3. On-site interview
       You go to next stage if you pass the current stage. Advice for RPT stage: to pass this stage you need consider the task as a real life task, describe your assumptions and absolutely be good at managing your time (total test time is 2 hours - not a minute more). You definitely will not complete all test for the given time, but make sure you describe what you decided to implement first and why. Also, leave time within those 2 hours for unit tests. Consider corner cases from real life experience.

Again, it is the best interview experience I had in my life and Salesforce is a great company to work in.

Interview Questions
    • - Hiring manager stage: find all words which start from particular letter (case insensitive)

- Remote Coding Test stage: implements components installer (implement the following methods: MakeDependency(component1, component2) // makes component1 dependent on component2
      Install(component1) // installs component1 and components it is dependent upon (if they're not installed already)
      Remove(component2) // removes component1 and components it is dependent upon if they're not used by other installed components.
      Note: component1 can be dependent on component2 and component3; and component4 can be dependent on component2

- On-site interview: lots of technical questions like implement itoa, find kth largest in array, how to implement unit-tests, lots of behavioral questions.

Answer Question

SMB Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce.

I initially applied through Linkedin and was contacted by a Junior recruiter from their SF office. After that call, the person scheduled me for a follow up HR interview. The second HR hiring manager no-showed on the call and I never heard from them as to why the no-show. Two months later, I get a call from another HR person and they didn't explain but had me restart the process. After three calls (Jr HR, Sr HR, Sales Manager) and a few follow up HR calls to review any other calls, I had no idea how long the process would go on for. Finally, they let me know I made it to the final round and were flying down the hiring team from San Francisco for the interview of finalists. I had to prepare a lengthy PowerPoint deal review consisting of a an overview of two deals I had one as well as slides about my history and how they applied to the position. I was offered a coaching session with HR previous to the presentation but passed on this.

The day after I gave a harrowing PPT presentation with subsequent panel interview, I found out that they they hired someone much more senior than myself with a CRM sales background. I was flattered to have made it so far but thought they could have saved me the trouble if they were looking for a person with 10 years sales experience and several years that were directly related. It's an intense process so get ready to run the gauntlet, repeat everything many times over and go above and beyond to get hired here. It was still a beneficial experience for me and since it's Salesforce they can afford to be exacting and lengthy in their approach to new hires.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how your personality makes you a fit to sell cloud CRM   Answer Question

Senior Consultant (Cloud Platform) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

I Applied online after seeing the open position on LinkedIn Got a call from the recruiter promptly in 3 week's time.Had a phone interview with the recruiter who scheduled me with the BI manager in charge of cloud. Not selected (reply came back the very next day).They are Looking for someone with product consulting not services consulting.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Awkward at best. The Recruiter seemed rushed to move me into an interview process which I took as a positive sign. Interview was at their year end so several Managers could not attend. The one who did seemed stressed out and although would ask me questions did not allow me to really answer. Focused more on my past earnings and actually stated that he is afraid I havnt tasted what it's like to really make money that people on his team make $800k. Held me over the allotted hour for further questions which was not productive.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I had a total of 5 interviews. The first two were phone screening by a recruiter and then another HR person, the third was another phone screening by the hiring manager, the fourth was in person at the headquarters in SF, the fifth (final presentation round) was in person at the headquarters as well.

My first 4 interviews went extremely well. I struck a rapport with the interviewers and answered all of the behavioral questions flawlessly. The only difficult part was the fourth interview where high level manager in sales tried to give me a hard time by asking me to conduct a role play where he was my grandfather and I was his grandson setting up a VCR. The object was to have me explain a detailed technical concept to someone poorly equipped to comprehend the details. He kept asking follow up questions and pretending not to understand as a way to test me.

I got invited for a final round. It was a hypothetical sales presentation to a client team. It would be 30 minutes and I was given information on the fictitious company I would be selling to. They offered me a dry run to give a version of the presentation which would not be evaluated in their final decision. And we set the date for my actual final presentation (due to schedule limitations this was set almost a month later).

This is where things went south for me.
    * I planned 30 minutes worth of material, without building in time for questions
    * they intentionally interrupted me a lot which threw me off of my rehearsed pitch
    * They played hostile & skeptical
    * I was unable to finish my presentation & demo in the allotted time due to the interruptions
    * I did not take them up on the offer to do a "dry run", which in retrospect was a big mistake (although I made that calculated decision based on my availability and a desire not to 'appear weak' which very bad idea)
    * I believed all the elements in the story/context document I was provided were fictitious, but some of the elements were real such as Salesforce's competition Goldmine (which is what the client was currently using). Had I done enough research I would have spotted this and done a thorough analysis of the benefits of Salesforce over the current *real* product
    * I appeared to have a superficial knowledge of sales, and didn't use basic techniques such as creating a sense of urgency
    *because of them giving me a hard time they made me a little visibly/audibly nervous, they disliked this and became increasingly hostile (actually hostile, not just in the fictitious context)
    *I mostly prepared by giving my presentation to friends and family (who are not very critical), watching their online sales webcasts and creating really really nice slides (I prepared a lot, but not the right way).

I had a post-interview with the recruiter to talk about the process. He was very respectful and said the team thought I was a stunning candidate until I flubbed the final presentation. He did not offer any specific feedback though.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked, "Is that how they present at <<my current employer>>" -- Intended as a derogatory quip   View Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce.

I was contacted through Linkedin by an internal recruiter who asked for a initial phone call. The recruiter vetted my background, achievements and decided I was a good candidate for an in-person interview. The recruiter had great energy and I was enthusiastic about my interview with the regional VP's.

The hiring managers were very disinterested - they asked me some token questions about my background and about 10 minutes in said, "do you have any questions for us?"

I wrapped the interview up early.

Interview Questions
    • If we cannot tell you what your territory would be or what target accounts you'll have, would you take the job?   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in December 2014.

Very straight-forward, and organized. I was contacted by a recruiter for an initial screen, had two phone interviews with two different directors (they were interviewing me for two potential positions), and then was brought onsite for a half day interview. Onsite interview was the most difficult portion, but only because it involved two interviewers at once. Questions were not too difficult though, mostly trying to understand my background and probe that I would work for one, or both of the roles. People seemed very happy, and especially proud of Salesforce. This was evident by everyone with whom I talked. Company culture seems fantastic, very supportive of its employees and well organized.

Interview Questions
    • During the onsite, some of the interviewers were actually remote so were able to do digging on my personal information (LinkedIn, etc.). Had to field questions related to my experience, projects, etc. from there.   Answer Question
    Not a lot of negotiation, very generous offer. Compensation and commissions could inevitably be negotiated, but benefits are pretty well set by company policy, and very generous.

Senior Account Executive/Sales - Waste of Time Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Applied via Web site. Received a friendly "we're interested in talking to you when are you available response". I replied with my availability and didn't hear back for over a month. No response until 2nd follow up email to check on status.
    Scheduled phone interview - very basic question about experience. Recruiter was late for our call. Really unimpressed with the process and withdrew my application.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I found out about Salesforce through a few of my friends that worked there. They really enjoyed working there, so I though that I should give it a try. They were at my college for a career fair and I stopped by for a quick chat. The woman that I spoke with was incredibly nice and down to earth. I received an email a few days later that informed me of an interview. The first interview was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and it really just turned into a conversation. Two weeks after that interview, I was informed that I got a final interview. It consisted of 4 different interviews and a group presentation with the other possible interns. The interviewers were very nice and again the interviews turned into conversations. The group project was pretty simple, so do not stress about that. All in all, it was a very different interview experience and I really enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • How do you fit into the company?
      What three words would others use to describe you?

Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

The absolute worst interview I have ever had. I applied for a technical position and expected some technical conversation -- NONE. No one had a clue. Not one manager or technical worker was available. Then there was the writing test. I have a degree from a major university. A High School writing test was not appropriate. I have over 25 years of work experience. I was so put-off by the entire experience that I called the outside recruiter and said the run my application through the shredder. I was embarrassed to have even applied at this place.