Salesforce Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, possibly due to my Linkedin profile. Following a chat with her, I had two phone interviews with potential peers in the organization, followed by a half day in the office with several more people.

The end of that was a test, where I had to design something to solve a problem in their network and defend my solution.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Salesforce in March 2015.

Interview

One phone call, they mistook my profile. But were kind enough to ask me relevant questions and answer my questions as well. Interviewers were very young and clearly did not know what all to ask or test. But it was a pleasant experience as they tried to make me feel comfortable throughout the duration of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Situation : Cloud strategy question on the optimal number of severs required.   Answer Question

Solution Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

SalesForce recruiters contact me every other month and this time I agreed to a conversation. I passed the phone screen and subsequent five 1:1 interviews with ease. Although the sales executive blew off the phone interview and did not even apologize when I met him later (strike one).

I was invited in to panel presentation and the topic was my choice. Upon arrival two of the attendees were speaking poorly about a third employee who left the room (strike two). When I introduced myself they kind of said hello but were not too friendly (strike three). At this point I realized I did not want to work with a bunch of self inflated egos. It's interesting how some companies forget the interview process works both ways and bad behavior is a red flag to smart candidates.

The presentation went ok although I had lost interest from the start. The audience had a hard time understanding basic principals. At first I thought they were role playing but later it seemed like they were not that smart. The presentation lasted an astonishing 75 minutes and at one point I went out of my way to see how long I could entertain the audience. They struggled with separating my content with presentation style so choose your topic wisely. Twice I was asked why I did not present my current companies content which I declined to do as its a conflict of interest. Maybe they were looking for competitive information.

Eventually they go around the room and critique your presentation and you get to go first. The most important thing I learned was that I did not want to work at SF. In the end it was a total waste of time and I wished I would have ignored the recruiter request.

Their top competitor made me a great offer in a structured interview process which took 3 weeks. I'm glad to go head to head against SF as they were not very professional and I'm sure I can beat them.

Interview Questions

• I laughed at this question... whiteboard the crm marketing ecosystem and how each component interacts with the others. This question went well beyond what was required for this position. While I answered the question one attendee drilled me on why I felt one component (the hottest in digital marketing) was needed. He did not realize but I stressed it intentionally because SF does not have it!   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a 15-30 min interview with recruiter.
    Than I had a 30 min interview with the hiring manager.
    Next step was online coding, 30 minutes conversation with the interviewer and then given 2 hours for implementation, which is not enough to write a program without compile error, execute it without errors, implement all business requirements and with good design (OOP, patterns and so on). When you do a coding you share your screen, so they can see what you’re doing. So make sure you have another screen, which they don't see.
    After I finished my online coding and submitted it, I called-in and heard how two guys-architects (they didn't know that I hear everything) were laughing hard about my coding and me. It was so unprofessional and insulting! I never recommend anyone to work in a company where architects so arrogant and have no respect to the developers. I am glad that I didn't get an offer from the company. And I have experience in my past when coworkers higher by title/position than me did not respect others and it was not good for my motivation and for the product quality as well. By the way, the project itself didn’t involve cutting-edge technologies, they use apex development tool and some own frameworks.

Interview Questions

• The task was to write a program with several features, one of the features was installation/uninstallation of applications and keeping track of dependencies   Answer Question

Analytics Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

After 4 interviews, they few me up to San Francisco and give a mock presentation. Prepared all week for their CRM presentation when when the position is for their Wave Analytics Platform. Interviewed with 5 people. In a nutshell, my experience was quite Strange, Rude, and and Straight up Arrogant.

Interview Questions

• Why would you take a position with SFDC, don't you think that is a risk knowing the analytic platform is new and developing?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in January 2015.

Interview

Starts with an internal recruiter, followed by a LOB manager (RVP) in-person interview. Then there is an interview with one or more other LOB managers (could be phone or in person). The last step is a 30 minute preso you have to give to 3 managers. Though this will sound like sour grapes (I wasn't given an offer because of this stage), I felt this was a bit of a no-win situation. You're given a scenario (3 execs who missed last quarter's sales target, looking to improve sales and forecasting) and a slide deck and told to sell SFDC to them. Asking discovery questions is a big deal to them, but you've got to be done in 30 minutes (and the deck is 17 slides long). I got hit with a major curveball early in the discussion by the "CIO" - "Microsoft is offering their CRM for free, and we don't have funds at the end of this fiscal year, and we already have a team of .NET developers in-house, so why should we spend money on SFDC?" Good luck answering that one. Another funny one - my interview was 1/15, but the "CIO" tells me (during this meeting) that it's October and they have very little time until the end of the year (this factoid wasn't part of the scenario). Tell me, who walks into a meeting and doesn't know what day it is? That element was unrealistic. This did a good job of derailing a short meeting, and I never got to the Next Steps portion. I was told the next morning that I wouldn't be getting an offer because of poor discovery questions (who is the decision maker, timeline to decide), failure to secure next steps, and failure to differentiate between SFDC and MSFT. (Sidenote, the recruiter's prep email indicated that any question about SFDC/MSFT should be seen as a cloud/on-premise issue and answered as such, which is what I did. And it was summarily shot down.)

Another piece of information for those wanting a job at SFDC (I thought I did). I was "warned" by the gent who would have become my LOB manager that this is a "younger" crowd with a "young mindset" - meaning they don't have families, are willing to work late, go out to bars after working and basically work becomes their life. I'm a little older than that (18 years in the market). They also require daily commutes to the office. I've telecommuted for nearly a decade and was reticent to return to rush hour, so maybe not getting an offer was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your interview prep and career decisions.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle working with a team of predominantly younger people?   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I had two initial phone screenings with a recruiter which were pretty basic. She went through my resume and made sure I had enough sales experience to move on to the next round. The next round consisted of an in-person panel interview with upper management. They once again go over your resume and ask you questions throughout the panel. Why do you want to be in sales? Why Salesforce? How competitive are you? Etc.

Overall, everyone I dealt with throughout the process was very helpful and eager to coach you up to succeed in the interviews. Great experience!

Interview Questions

• Elevator pitch describing Salesforce to your grandmother   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. All SR's start out the same.

SMB Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I submitted an application online through the SFDC website. A recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview within a day. I was contacted within 3 days for a phone Interview with Recruiter. The next steps were a phone interview with Hiring Manager and Panel presentation and Interview at SFDC HQ.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Explain the cloud, do I use CRM, proudest sales accomplishment? The interviewer really focused on my experience at my current employer although I have a few employers listed on my resume (focused on recent experience).   Answer Question

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce (Louisville, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

Thorough, high degree of courtesy. Series of 7 phone calls led to one in-person interview/mock demonstration, 1.5 hours in duration. Impressive investment in a candidate. LinkedIn profile was cited by the internal HR/recruiter as the reason they reached out re: my potential candidacy for the role. Keep that profile fresh and active!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a challenging sales engagement situation and how you contributed to a successful outcome (a signed contract)?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Got an email from HR, set up a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. Was told that the next stage would include scripting challenges and had 48 hours to complete. Challenges were on Javascript, CSS, and Ruby. It takes a little long to complete but that may be because I wasn't too familiar with Ruby.