Salesforce

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.2

Lead Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Salesforce.

45 minute manager interview
    2 hour programming test
    on-site interview with 5 people.

The on-site interview was a joke. Only one on-site interview involved whiteboard. And that whiteboard interview - the interviewer was full of ego and was doing most of the talking instead of allowing me to answer. That interviewer was formulating the questions 10 different ways and did not have clarity on what to expect from me. I felt that interview was more about trying to guess what the interviewer wants to hear rather than the technical issues at hand. I provided this feedback to the recruiter, not sure if there will be any change.

Overall, from my experience, the quality of engineers in salesforce.com is not at par with other companies in bay area like google, facebook, apple. But most of the people who come here are from IT background like Oracle, PeopleSoft, SAP, etc.
    If you are from a good R&D organization, when you interview with them, you should get down to their level and have a conversation in their terms. If you are able to do that and come out satisfied from the interviews, then may be you will like Salesforce.

Technically, if you solved the simple ( linked list, strings, sorting ) problems should get you in easily through the programming tests.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult for me. The difficult level is low when compared with other tech companies in bay area.
      Questions were reverse string, substring, indexof, map interface.

Answer Question

Senior ETL and Analytics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I applied through a referral. First round was a normal discussion with hiring manager regarding the projects I worked on and accomplishments till now. It was an hour long interview. The hiring manager tried digging every piece of information he could get from me regarding the work I have done.
    The next round was a technical discussion with a senior developer from the team. The discussion revolve around more on designs, logic, basics of data warehouse . It was not a tool based interview at all. In short a very healthy technical discussion.
    Next, I was called onsite for 4 hours of interview which was segregated into different 45 minutes interview with 6 different people including data analyst, product manager, hiring manager, architects, etc and a one hour online sql and unix commands test.
    The online test had simple but tricky questions and one hour would not be sufficient to attemp all the questions.
    Overall, the experience was very positive and got an opportunity to share ideas with bright and smart people. Unfortunately, the recruiter communicated that the offer cannot be extended and asked if I need any additional feedback.
    The only negative I had was with the recruiter who never reverted when I asked for an additional feedback and just ignored me since I was not selected.
    Also, it would have been great if the online test was taken as a separate round (if at all it has weight-age) so that the candidates are not filtered due to online test after investing half a day in the interview.

AMTS Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Had a phone interview first and then called for an onsite interview.
    Onsite interview had 2 group discussions and 2 one-one interview.

Phone interview questions: implement hash map, if sum of 2 numbers is in the array.
    Onsite: non technical

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

I was asked to go onsite for the intern interview. The university recruiting took a day, and around 30 students. No tech questions(are you kidding me?). They spent most of the time to split the students into groups to do group exercises. And check if you talk a lot during the process.

They also assign you to different groups and ask you to do presentations on your imaginary products. Then the interviewer asked you questions about your products. One of the interviewer focused on that our product may not make customer happy.. OMG I am not here for sales positions.

I am very curious what the hell are they doing, how can they come out such stupid onsite activities for a software engineer major student. I have other interviews with Google, Facebook, so that day looks like a waste of time.

If the HR or hiring manager could see my post, I just want to ask one thing: you ask nothing about tech questions for a CS major student, but focusing on all other group stupid things, so are you wanting to hire a person that talks a lot but knows little about coding?!!!!!

Before interview, I have a good impression about this company, after the interview, I feel very disappointment and I don't think it's a place for anyone that has passion in technology.

Interview Questions
    • The most ridiculous and stupid interview I have ever experienced. They are not looking for a tech person, they are looking for a sales person who could talk a lot to make them happy   Answer Question

I found the company's culture is so stupid

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

Got email from HR to schedule phone interview.

First round was a walk through the course work and resume.
    One coding question : Get remainder string after a sub string.
    Example: inputStr = "abcde" subStr = "cd" return = "e"

Secound round was another technical round. The interviewer was not clear with his question.
    Max repeated character which occurs at a time first index..
    Example: aabbaaa output: 4

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

2 HR calls and phone interview which I screwed up. Phone interview was for software engineer in test. HR asked basic why sales force questions. why I am looking for a new job.

Interview Questions
    • Questions:
      Find the largest integer in an array
      algorithm to resolve a meeting conflict

View Answer

IT Linux Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

HR seemed very nice and professional. Very welcoming actually.
    The initial interview got scheduled promptly, and the second interview was scheduled just a few days later. The technical questions asked involved linux boot process, run levels, and regular troubleshooting.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

On campus recruiting. The process took 3-4 weeks. Phone interview lasted 1 hour. The interviewer was actually very nice and helpful. Was asked about some basic concept questions like what it means to be static/superclass/object-oriented language. Followed by a structured on-lone coding question on determining if parenthesis is balanced in a given line of text.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

Submitted my resume at my university's career fair. Contacted by the recruiter via email 2 weeks later to schedule a one-hour technical phone interview.
    Technical phone interview: Was scheduled for 60 minutes but only took 45 mins. Asked to describe my experiences and basic data structure questions, and how I would test a function that takes in a file of names and output a file with the names in the input file sorted. Was also asked to describe a time when I faced a difficult bug or problem and how did I test and debug it.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce in November 2014.

I met with a recruiter on campus through a career fair. They took a copy of my resume. Around a week later I received an email about setting up a phone interview. The interview was pretty easy. Couple of technical questions like how to get the unique items from an array, How to keep track of the max and min numbers from a continuous stream of numbers. I solved the problems in python. The interviewer insisted I redo it in Java, which I found odd.