Salesforce Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Linked In profile caught their attention.
I replied to Linked In email asking if I was interested.
Phone Screen with hiring manager.
Process stalled when I expressed concern about commute.
Followup email restarted process.
Half-day interview.
Phone Screen with upper management.
Attractive offer which I considered overnight.
Then I accepted.
Background check happened after I accepted.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a job?
    Tell me about the projects you've done. Fortunately, I had a number of projects that I could talk about.

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Got an email from HR, set up a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. Was told that the next stage would include scripting challenges and had 48 hours to complete. Challenges were on Javascript, CSS, and Ruby. It takes a little long to complete but that may be because I wasn't too familiar with Ruby.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

This was one of my worst interviewing experiences ever. Not the nature of the interview. But because how I was treated as a candidate.

Was contacted by recruiter by email. Had an initial phone screen interview that had to rescheduled because the person who was supposed to call me never called. After the initial round had a remote programming test which had to be again re-scheduled because nobody called in at the scheduled time . The only response my recruiter gave me was "No-body called?". Very professional indeed. Still I went ahead because I like the work the company is doing.

Was selected for an onsite- interview. In spite of knowing that I am a remote candidate, the person in charge of scheduling my interview thought I was a local candidate and scheduled my interview the very next day without arranging for any travel or any prior intimation.

At this point I had given up any inclination to go forth with the onsite. After the confusion cleared , my onsite was scheduled. Had 4 rounds. I had asked my recruiter to let me know what would be the general area of focus for the rounds. As expected, there was no response from him.

The interviews themselves were good except two of the interviewers weren't exactly professional about interviewing me. Solved good questions.

The company is good and doing great things. It was sad to see the recruiting department was so unprofessional.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for Chatter team to see if there's a match. I went through one technical phone interview and the remote programming test. After I passed them both, they came back and told me that they've changed direction.

A few days later, another recruiter from Sales Cloud approached me and since I've done the remote programming test, they skipped that but instead I get to do technical remote whiteboarding interview once and talked to the Director of Engineering. Once I've passed those, they flew me to their HQ for 6 rounds of interview (one of them is lunch).

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the process as they tried to ensure I'm ready and well prepared for each round of the interview.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you everything from the Database up to the Front-End   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (Tampa, FL).

Interview

1st level phone interview followed by a programming round. If you pass the second one there will be a 3-4 hours in person interview and after that I had another two technical interviews through phone.

Interview Questions

• There were some puzzle type questions asked in the in-person interview which was required to be solved with a white board solution in 2 minutes to judge how you think I guess. It was unexpected..but was good   Answer Question

Negotiation

The Salary was offered equal or more than my expectation and I was totally ready to say "Yes"

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

very standard process, the only difference is there is a coding interview of 2 hours and it is decent. Not of the level of interviewstreet, it is much simple than that.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very simple questions on Java, couple of them on data structures and algos. One interview is full on UI even if you never worked on it, they will expect it. One of SQL and database   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate. you should negotiate very hard. increaments sucks here if you want to take the job make sure your salary is good for next 2 yrs

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I was asked by a friend to join a salesforce hiring event in Seattle. After chatting with a few teams, a technical screen was scheduled with a manager who was not the hiring manager. The technical screen was on data structures, algorithms and testing at power with a number of top companies.
    I was invited to the onsite interview in a couple of days. The travel arrangements were adequate and I began the interviews with a 2 hour coding test. An hour on the computer and another hour in discussion. The computer does not get internet access. The questions were tricky but standard Data structures - substring, three number sum etc. The next round was a lunch interview with the Hiring manager, it was a hard time to make her understand a different view to testing. I recommend not to go this route but instead agree :). Then there was a round with 2 senior folks on design patterns, OOPs, coding. Followed by a round with 2 fairly young engineers. This was supposed to be on testing but the interviewers lacked experience and this was a very abstract round. This was followed by another round with a hiring manager.
    Overall, the experience was fine except the fact that they did not have either a specific position or a mature interviewing panel. They were just trying to hire a good profile.

Interview Questions

• Testing a search text box in one test case which covers everything :)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

I had an internal referral who sent my resume to HR who in turn forwarded it to few hiring managers. They got back to me the same day to schedule a phone interview with one of the hiring managers. I had an initial phone interview with him, then a 2hr programing test, and another technical phone interview. I was then brought onsite where I had 5 interviews with one or two interviewers at a time, including a lunch interview. The interviews covered some sql/data modeling, architecture, data structure, algorithms, behavioral/cultural...

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer process involved a lot of back and forth; unprofessional. It was a lowball offer with a salary much lower than previously discussed with the recruiter. I negotiated 10K base pay increase. Promises to revise title and compensation after 6 months were not held.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview

Had a call with Hiring Manager, asked pretty basics Java questions. Manager was very friendly and to the point. I was then asked to take 2 hours timed programming interview, they insisted to keep that on weekday during normal working hours, not sure why. The question asked was good, not the regular data structure problems like BFS, traversals, etc. The question felt more like a school assignment, where you were given a scenario and you had to implement/solve the problem using commonly used techniques.
    I failed to finish it in two hours and got a reject 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Why its said a good practice to override() hashcode() of an object when you override equals()   3 Answers

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Salesforce in July 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by an Engineer on the backend/core team. Was asked a few questions around distributed systems, scalability and reliability consideration while designing distributed systems. Also asked a few general Java and data structures related questions.

Interview Questions

• Coding question : Given a laptop and asked to code based on requirements specified on a 2-page print out.   Answer Question
    • Simulate a deadlock.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of integers, return top K elements from it.   1 Answer
    • Given 2 unsorted integer arrays, get the intersection of the 2.   2 Answers