Salesforce Senior Sales Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce (Louisville, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

Thorough, high degree of courtesy. Series of 7 phone calls led to one in-person interview/mock demonstration, 1.5 hours in duration. Impressive investment in a candidate. LinkedIn profile was cited by the internal HR/recruiter as the reason they reached out re: my potential candidacy for the role. Keep that profile fresh and active!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a challenging sales engagement situation and how you contributed to a successful outcome (a signed contract)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I initially submitted my resume through the salesforce.com publicly available Jobs page. It took a while (maybe a few months) but eventually a recruiter contacted me via email. After going through the screening interview with him, I had a first "real" interview with a hiring manager. They actually had 3 hiring managers involved in the interviews process, they were teaming up to interview a number of people, and each manager would get one pick out of the collection of candidates who made it to the final selection process. --As it turns out, my first phone interview was with an SE Manager I did Not end up working for. It went well. They then brought me in to corporate offices for a panel interview with all 3 SE managers and a manager in training. This was rapid fire questions from multiple sides, I think as much to see how you handled that as anything else. Not very technical (I came from a background more technical and lower level than required at SFDC so that aspect was no issue for me throughout the interview process). I made it through this stage, and last stage was to be a larger panel interview with the SE VPt, a sales guy, a couple of the hiring managers, and a sales VP. One of the hiring managers (who ended up being my boss) Coached me over 2-3 Web meetings prior to this final Panel Demo Interview. I had to learn to demo salesforce.com to this audience. I got invaluable advice from this SE Manager. I went to the demo meeting, it went pretty well I thought, not my very best. But I got in.

Interview Questions

• Just needing to know salesforce.com well enough to demo it, that was interesting to have to figure out on the fly and go do for a higher level audience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary was low. It still is. SFDC base salary for "Senior Sales Engineer" is poor at this point, that is if you are Actually Senior. I recommend sticking to your guns and demanding Lead Sales Engineer (or even Principal Sales Engineer) if you have 10+ years experience. At least their bonuses make up for the low base (at least, the Q4 bonus does)

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was referred by a senior employee, which sped the process. He told a colleague, who would be my direct manager, about me, so the two of us had a 30-minute informal sit-down.
    The next step was a more in-depth 1:1, where that manager and I spoke for a longer period about what, exactly, the job would entail.
    After that, it was a 3.5-hour block, divided into five parts: 10-15 minutes with a recruiter, who asked about desired compensation, willingness to relocate (did she not see that I had a local address on my resume?), and company benefits. Then 4 45-minute interviews were planned. But the most senior person was in a meeting with a customer, so we were more flexible and I ended up meeting with two of the people at the same time.
    Observations: Relaxed dress code unless meeting with customers. Cubes with low dividers are the norm - I'd say that when I sat up straight in the cube I chatted in during the in-depth 1:1, it came up to my chin or my nose. One of the two floors I saw had a Wii, ping-pong table, video game machine with a ton of games, ice hockey game with those levers, fooz ball, and more. Kitchens well-stocked with snacks, sodas, bottled water, and everything I could want. It came VERY close to the kitchens I saw at Facebook.

Sadly, there's a joke at salesforce.com that every employee had at least one snag or snafu in the recruiting process. Most of the people I have spoken to say that something went wrong with their first round of interviews and that they got the second job they applied for. Clearly, there is something messed up in the recruiting division.

Interview Questions

• Was asked how I would market a product I said I was thinking of writing.   1 Answer

I never heard from them after the interviews. Ten months (!!!) later, I was asked to interview for another position, and the interviewer asked if I had declined the first offer... it turns out that the recruiter had never passed on to me that the _vice president_ I had interviewed with had asked to see me again.

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Terrific experience with Salesforce recruitment.

I was approached by them via social network due to profile matching with their industry sector.
    Passed the first interview with the recruiter, and the second with the hiring manager. I asked many times if the Sales Engineer role was identifiable as a typical Pre-Sales role or more as a pure Sales one, and got assurance that was definitely a Technical Presenter role supporting Account Executives and not accountable for the sale itself.
    Asked to do loads of prep work for a panel interview and to learn their products in a few week and show sales skills even if I am not a sales person but an architecture manager. Arrived at that point and assured I could have been a good fit for the role I did my best to learn the product and have a good presentation.
    Feedback on process - sales skills not good as other applicants. They should have known after having 2 interview prior to the panel presentation, so why approach someone with no Sales background?
    Disappointing but I accepted it as I agree I'm not a sales guy.

The worst has still to come and it happens after a couple of months from that recruitment process:

I finally found an open architectural role that is really a perfect match with my experience, and after having been even referred by a Salesforce internal senior management employee the recruitment team declined the referral and my application due to the......outcome of the previous Sales interview proposed by them!!!
    The two roles were not related at all, I have been approached by them, rejected for an obvious lack of sales experience, and if I knew this would impact my future applications to well suited roles I would have declined the offer to interview.

This is the most unprofessional, unethic behaviour I have ever seen from a company with such a big name as Salesforce.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult, they don't want to see product knowledge they want just anyone selling good.   Answer Question