Salesforce.com

25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – All phone calls interviews

Interview Question – Key success factors in the company you want to work in?   Answer Question

Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Salesforce is no doubt a really awesome company, but I will say their recruiting/hiring department leaves something to be desired. It seems like their recruiting department is very disorganized. You can never get a hold of the recruiters (who contacted me by the way). Even the recruiters have assistants. Now, when they want to be the recruiters can be very aggressive...but when you need to get in touch with them or have questions. No response! I was contacted by an "assistant" recruiter for a higher level sales role. Although I was very interested in working for a great company like Salesforce I decided the travel for this particular position was too much for me (over 50%). I was also surprised to learn that they are a bit of a micromanaging company. On days that you don't travel you must be in the office 100% of the time. That seems like a little too much. Spend 12+ hours traveling a couple days in a row, and then you'd be required to report to the office the morning you return for a full day? Not a very good work/life balance in my opinion. I informed the recruiter's assistant that although I was flattered they reached out, I was going to have to pass because of the level of travel. That's when she informed me there was another AE position in SMB that was only 25-30% travel. I told her that was more doable so she scheduled a phone interview with her senior recruiter. This is where it went down hill. The senior recruiter had no availability to speak with me during my lunch hour or after hours (I was trying to stay off the radar with my current employer) for 2 weeks. When we finally did have a scheduled time, she blew me off. I sent a couple emails and finally wrote one that was a bit more firm. Asked her "assistant" if there was another recruiter I could speak with and suddenly she made time for me. The conversation went well, although I felt I was just repeating myself from the conversation I had with her assistant. The next step was to speak with the guy who would be my boss.

My initial conversation with this guy got interrupted because my current boss was blowing my phone up. I was so embarrassed, but I had to cut our talk short and reschedule. He understood I was in a position that I couldn't rock the boat too much until I received my bonus at the end of the month and said "he'd do the same thing if his boss was calling." Now this guy was really nice, very accommodating, and was willing to to speak again on the weekend which I appreciated. Our 1 hour scheduled called lasted an hour and a half. We had a great conversation! I have never felt so on my "A" game. I am usually pretty hard on myself too. He said he was planning to be moving down to the states (he was living in another country) in a couple months so I knew this might be a process, but told him I was in for the long hall. Sent my usual thank you email ...and never for a moment doubted at least the next step. Then a few days later I got a form email from the recruiter that said they had decided to not "pursue" me. I was so confused only because we weren't that deep in the process (but deep enough), the conversation with this guy went great...and the recruiting team was the one pursuing me heavily the whole time. I immediately sent a very polite email to both recruiters and the prospective boss asking why they had decided to pass on me as a candidate. I told them I like to take these rejections as a learning tool and if they had any suggestions/critique for me it would be greatly appreciated. I never heard anything back from the recruiters and the manager wrote one sentence back saying they were going in a "different direction" in the hiring process. I assumed that meant "rejection" but someone told me they thought it meant things were on hold. The SMB job was taken down for a while ...and now has reappeared. Very strange. Bottom line...you are better off if you network and connect with a senior person at Salesforce first and have them get your resume/name into the candidate pool vs.only dealing with the recruiting professionals. It's like a factory...very little "customer service" in my opinion. I just expected more from a company like salesforce.

Interview Question – Name a time when you experienced a "win" in your sales career and how you got the deal. Conversely, explain a time when you lost a sale and how that helped you grow as a sales person.   View Answer

Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – The interview process is very thorough from the first contact with HR and every step along the way. You need to deliver a presentation, take your time and prepare -- it counts! You will stand out by asking good questions. To get a feel of the company culture, read “Behind the Cloud” by Marc Benioff.

Interview Question – Tell me why we should hire you over another candidate?   Answer Question

Herndon, VA

Interviewed at Salesforce.com

Interview Details – I was hired through Linkedin through a recruiter and I thought the hiring process was smooth and run a good pace.

Interview Question – Provide a game plan of how you would map and execute your territory plan. I thought this was a good question and I was prepared and I would recommend that you provide a lot of thought in how you will reach your goal to overperform at Salesforce.com   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Salesforce.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiters were great, set up 3 phone calls, one with the sales manager. Got to the panel in person interview with a few more managers and the VP of the division.

The first portion was a grilling 45min process asking me the same questions about my previous jobs. How many times can one person answer, what was your weakness???
The VP was obnoxious, he would ask me questions, and as I answered he would cut me off to go to the next. He was impatient and seemed like he didn't want to be there.

The other managers were not too engaged, they were on their laptops. For a company that claims to be so superior, their heads must have gotten too big or I just got a bad interview group. After this I was not excited to work there, I found the division VP patronizing.

Interview Question – What was your weakness (10 times for 10 different situations)?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – Internal recruiter phone interview. Two RVPs face to face at SF HQ. Power point presentation to AVP and 3 other RVPs (role play) to sell them SFDC SaaS over competitor on premise software.

Interview Question – Came from "CIO" - We have already invested significantly in the hardware / network to upgrade existing on premise CRM, so why would I buy your cloud base software and not leverage our investment made?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – One meeting after the offer. Negotiate everything up front before you sign. Follow up meet to confirm.

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews were required - initial phone screen with a recruiter, phone meeting with a hiring manager, then I came in and did a panel interview with multiple managers and a presentation.

Interview Question – I had to do a live, interactive sales presentation   Answer Question

Interviewed at Salesforce.com

Interview Details – Hiring process was long. Very disappointed in how it was handled. Started out with a recruiter contacting me through linked in. Had two phone interviews with HR and two onsite interviews with 3 regional Vice Presidents. Interviews went well and as I tried to close them, was told directly from the VP's that they really liked me and were going to recommend me for the next and final step which is the sales presentation. Didn't hear back from HR, so by the 4th day, I reached out and asked her about next steps. She scheduled a time the following day to speak with me. On the call she mentioned while they had a lot of positive things to say - but they decided to pass on me. I wish HR would have done a better job of screening so I would not have had to waste so much of my time going into the city, paying for parking, etc. I also wish the recruiters would have been more responsive. It always took days to get back to me, and to be honest, felt like I was just a number. Someone mentioned in an earlier review that they are over hiring in sales, and I think that is right.

Account Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – I had a screen HR interview, followed by a web interview with hiring manager and VP of sales, followed by pitch presentation. Nice process, but lots of prep time for presentation.

Interview Question – None, but they did ask about a free trial as a bait.   View Answers (3)

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Salesforce.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial screening was interesting and seemed rushed to get you into a specific role quickly without fully qualifying your background. Lack of probing questions. Seemed to be incented to get you into an interview for a lower-level role first, rather than find the right fit. I feel they need to be VERY careful about their elimination process as they appear to be targeting a certain age profile.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Following 3rd round of interviews/presentation, I uncovered that they appeared to want younger candidates that were more focused on lead-generation rather than skills at developing longer-term relationships. I feel that sales in IT should be more relationship based and not transactional. This appears to be a short-term market-grab strategy with little or no focus on relationships.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Salesforce.com

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com Account Executive interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees and interview candidates.