Salesforce.com

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had two one hour phone screens followed by an in-person interview. The phone screens were fairly rigorous and included a fizzbuzz. The interviewers were friendly and professional, and they squeezed a lot of questions into the hour. I received feedback within 48 hours of the first interview, and after the second interview I was told they would bring me in for an in-person interview as soon as the hour ended.

Afterwards, they told me that they had high failure rates for the in-person interview, so they instituted a new process of requiring two phone screens instead of one, and shortening the in-person interview from 6 hours to 4. I don't know if this is company-wide, but I like the system.

The in-person interview was a combination of panel interviews (e.g. two engineers asking me questions) and the more senior people did one-on-one. They asked questions specific to the domain knowledge on my resume as well as some general questions specific to their own environment. There were also some algorithm questions/problems. Most of the time I was on my feet at the whiteboard. The interview was very thorough, no inappropriate questions were asked. Some of the questions/puzzles were quite creative and I enjoyed working through them. Had a great time and wished the interview would last a bit longer as the puzzles were interesting and had multiple levels and/or multiple solutions. I think part of the interview process was to see how far you can get in the time allotted.

Interview Question – route-finding problem for a robot that cannot store internal variables.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in August 2010.

Interview Details – Asked a lot of javascript basic, advanced css, and java technical questions. Need to strong in fundamentals

Interview Question – Explain css float, javascript closure, functions   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in August 2010.

Interview Details – Very pleasant actually. Met with multiple groups informally over lunch and a few one on one discussions with group leaders.

Interview Questions

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Salesforce.com in January 2008.

Interview Details – Slow interview process. Interviewers seemed organized but cold.

Interview Question – Solve a coding problem in Java. You're given a laptop and 2 hours.   View Answers (2)

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in April 2010.

Interview Details – good.

Interview Question – Given a webservice , how do you go by testing it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You should be really good at negotiating.This is the right time for negotiation.Once after joining, the changes would be very minimal.

Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – At first the hiring manger asked questions from my resume. about the projects and work experience. then he started asking me java and c++ question.
abstract class, templates, exception handling, finally block, what if there is no catch block and there is only finally block.
asked about a testing question. write test cases for a command to find the repeated words in a file. the output should be word, count of the words. if the file is 1GB how will you make sure the result is correct.
question related to sql-> joins, queries
function overloading, over riding,

Interview Questions

Engineer

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in December 2008.

Interview Details – Consisted of phone interview. Involved some simple programming, java and sql questions.

Interview Question – Given some tables and output requirements give the corresponding sql statements.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in October 2009.

Interview Details – I wish I could write good things about this company because I really wanted to like them.

Almost all of my interviews were phone interviews. Everything seemed to be going just fine and we scheduled an in-person interview. I got great feedback from the people who had done the phone interviews. To be fair, it was engineers interviewing other engineers and they did a bad job of it.

Furthermore, the recruiters were sloppy about the scheduling. They made mistakes with several of the dates and left me hanging on more than one occasion. That should have been my first warning.

For one, I got asked a lot of the same questions by interviewers. A lot of the questions were related to whether I could solve (in my head) a problem that had vexed them for some amount of time recently. Many more questions were of the "trivia" variety. Some of the questions were about my particular skills or my background but the interviewers seemed to be doing their best to be "Googley" in their process and try to make the interview about how smart a particular candidate is. I don't particularly like the "battle of wits" style on interview (mainly because it's hard to capture the subtlety of some problems in that environment, and because there is no way to tell someone nicely that they are wrong about a particular answer they think is right) and I guess that put me on a bad footing.

My in-person interview was a disaster. For one, there was no HR rep to greet me. I arrived at their office to find a gang of people hunched over cubicles and staring at screens. It didn't seem to be a great working environment compared to what I've been used to.

I needed to do several interviews with the staff there, one after another, who did the exact same thing from the phone interviews. The process devolved into an oral-exam style of interview and I really began to lose interest in this job.

The final bit was a skills-based interview that consisted of a poorly-constructed set of tasks to perform on a router command line. Never mind that the entire setup was contrived and that the questions were devoid of any context, but the whole thing just made me feel like I was being wrung through a wringer with no clear idea about how any of this related to the job I was interviewing for.

I tried to follow up to see if they would make an offer but the recruiter never returned another email or returned a single phone call. Honestly, this is the first time that a recruiter has ever treated me this way. All in all, I did something like 15 interviews and never got so much as a thank you (but no-thank-you) for going through the process.

I ended up getting a significantly better job than I had (with another company) but I feel that I really wasted a lot of time with these guys. Even if I wasn't a good fit, they should have at least communicated that to me. The un-returned emails after the process ended really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Question – Why are you looking to leave your current job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Salesforce.com

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com Engineering interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees and interview candidates.