Salesforce.com

Very Difficult Interview

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was being considered for 3 different positions by two different recruiters. Passed between VPs and over 6 phone interviews, including Skype calls. Final interview was in-person in Chicago office for case study presentation followed by team interview by three individuals. I was required to prepare an in-depth solution that addressed numerous requirements and to articulate how which SFDC solution would be most appropriate and why, including benefits. Although I was in-person, the 2 key individuals (VP and director) doing interview were on the phone. After spending two weeks preparing a cohesive deck with the help of friends within Salesforce, within the first minute the interviewers who were role playing as CIO and related client positions began throwing out antagonistic questions to throw me off, in an attempt to see how I would handle the situation, which I immediately recognized as being their strategy. I addressed each of their questions with each interruption and also at one point recommended they hold a question or two until I got to that point in my presentation. They didn't like that one bit and immediately wrote me off as being unable to handle being in front of C-level clients. (I've been in that position many times, but their scenario was unrealistic.) They rudely dropped off the call and the one person left in room told me "don't worry about it. we all get put through that process." The group interview went well with good people in similar roles and with thoughtful questions. In my post-mortem with the recruiter I explained what happened and he was surprised and concerned that the interviewers contradicted his direction to me. I got an email two days later saying they pass. I informed my two close friends on the inside and they were not surprised, sharing their horror stories with their hiring process including downright rudeness to them, multiple cycles over as many as two years (!) and shouting matches. I had high hopes for a job with Salesforce, but after that experience, I really don't want to work for a company that is so disjointed and frankly hires people who are arrogant and unprofessional. I'll stick with the integrators/consultants that they themselves were badmouthing in the interview process.

Interview Question – No one particular question, rather rapid fire, concurrent questions overlapping without affording the opportunity to answer them as part of their role playing case study presentation process.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2010.

Interview Details – The initial recruiting process was very fast by an in-house recruiter from Salesforce.com. Salesforce.com has a great structured process for Account Executives (AEs) There are several stages which vary from an individual to a group interview with the direct hiring manager as well as other area or peers. The final stage is to do a sales call and conduct a sales meeting based on a given scenario.

Interview Question – I don't think there was a difficult question as long as you prepare and you have done your due diligence and have done your homework about industry, client success stories (this is very important) and you prepare for the sales meeting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be honest.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the recruiter for Chatter team to see if there's a match. I went through one technical phone interview and the remote programming test. After I passed them both, they came back and told me that they've changed direction.

A few days later, another recruiter from Sales Cloud approached me and since I've done the remote programming test, they skipped that but instead I get to do technical remote whiteboarding interview once and talked to the Director of Engineering. Once I've passed those, they flew me to their HQ for 6 rounds of interview (one of them is lunch).

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the process as they tried to ensure I'm ready and well prepared for each round of the interview.

Interview Question – They will ask you everything from the Database up to the Front-End   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Community Support Representative Interview

Community Support Representative

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring/interview process here was fantastic! Very organized and low-stress compared to interviews at other companies for similar roles. Had an initial phone screen with the recruiter, then a phone call with the hiring manager, then an in-person interview with the hiring manager and 3 other team members (in-person total of 2 hours)

Interview Question – GIven hypothetical customer support cases and asked how I would respond to each. Not really surprising considering the nature of the role.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – I had an employee at the company put in my resume. The recruiter got in contact with me a couple of days later and we set up a call for the next week. It's your basic phone screen that is completely casual. The recruiter will just ask you about your previous experiences and how they will translate to the position at salesforce. Just make sure you are familiar with all of salesforce's products and have your reasons ready for wanting to join salesforce.

I was prepared for everything and answered the questions convincingly. I just did not have the required 1-2 years of direct sales experience, which is what left me out of the next round of interviews.

Interview Question – What do you know about Salesforce?   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Spent a whole day, I thought I was on the bubble. Didn't get the job because I didn't "pass the test" so to speak. But no word on which test either then or later. The overall experience was a big turnoff.

Interview Question – Given a regular English dictionary, and a word to start with (e.g. "head"), you can only change one letter a time, but every change has to be a word in the dictionary (e.g. head -> heal) What is the quickest way to an end word (e.g. "tail")?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – Have to say the recruiter was absolutely amazing to work with. She was very informative and sweet and always had open communication. Initially spoke with recruiter through phone with basic role description/why do you want to work here questions, etc. I then had two 30 min phone interviews one after the other with hiring mgr and hiring director. The hiring mgr was nice enough, asked a lot of technical questions. The hiring director was very hard to read and after you gave her answer she would just say "okay". After these 3 phone interviews ,I was invited to onsite interview which was a terrible experience. The recruiter greeted me and she was very nice but that was where the positive ended. I was supposed to meet with 4 people that day but 2 of the people I was supposed to meet with were in other mtgs so they subbed in 2 other people last minute who were not really sure what they were supposed to be asking me. I was also supposed to be given a case study but they didn't give it to me and when I asked them about it--they just told me oh well. This was especially annoying as I had spent a lot of time preparing for the case study and not taking it could have hurt my chances. 2 days later I followed up with recruiter and she told me they decided to go with another candidate.

Interview Question – combination of behavioral/technical/salesforce related   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Analyst Interview

Customer Service Analyst
Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Salesforce.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Randomly called me after submitting application 4 months ago. Did a phone interview that was very very simple. Mainly asked questions that pertained to personality and ability to handle hire pressure situations.

Interview Question – How would you direct traffic in the result of a catastrophic earthquake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little to negotiate.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Although the recruiter seemed naive and inexperienced, all of the subsequent interviews were very positive. I had to have 5 interviews in order to get the offer. The process was only 2-3 weeks. I was impressed with all of the interviewers which made me want to work for the company. I did not have to present a pitch like other candidates have stated.

Interview Question – Describe how you would penetrate a new client.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but probably had an opportunity to do so.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty simple process but there was a lot of phone interviews with various people within the company. I met with a recruiter, interviewed with 3 people on 3 different occasions, and then started my role. The only big negative thing I had was that I felt Salesforce.com had their own agenda when it came to timing. They were looking for a spot to fill by X date, and if they decided they liked you, they would offer you the job but not give you a ton of time to decide. For me, I found out that they needed a sales rep by (lets call it) March 1st, and I had only about 3 days to make my decision. At the time, I was interviewing elsewhere and wouldn't have heard back from a few of those places until after Salesforce.com needed an answer. I took the job, but I do wish I had had the opportunity to say no.

Interview Question – For me the most challenging question was the mock sales question. Essentially, they gave me a product and asked me to pitch it to them via a cold-call. It caught me really off guard and having never done a cold-call, it was pretty uncomfortable! That being said, there's really no good way to prepare for that, just sound confident :)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Like I mentioned above, there was essentially no negotiation phase. The contract is the same given to every sales rep, so there's not much wiggle room anyways, but the turn around time was a little too quick for me.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!