Salesforce.com

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Selection
I applied for the position on their site.

Phone Screen
I spoke to a recruiter about my experience at my current company and why I was looking for a new position. Because of my previous experience, he felt that I would do better on the QA Engineer interview.

Technical Phone Screen
The manager scheduled to interview me had to reschedule twice, but once we had the interview it was a pretty good experience. He asked me about projects I worked on and we had a good conversation.

On-site interview
3 days after the phone screen, the recruiter reached out to me to set up an on-site interview. Salesforce flew me out to their office and paid for my hotel and gave a stipend for general expenses. The on-site interview comprised of 5 - one hour interviews, with members of the team I would be joining.

The second interview was with the QE manager of the team, it was mostly an interview on fit and a few technical questions. The lunch interview was with the Product Manager of the team and that was also a fit interview. The fourth interview was with a Quality Engineer on the team and was revolved around testing an alarm clock. The fifth interview was a technical interview on Java knowledge and some SQL.

Another phone interview
The Director of QE gave me another technical call about testing an online reservation system.

Next steps
I thought I did well on the on-site interview but horribly with the final phone interview (I was not aware it would be a technical call). The team thought I was a very good fit and I was offered a position.

Interview Question – I had a 1 hour programming test on-site that included implementing two Java String methods and their test cases. I didn't provide the most optimal solution for one of the methods, but I felt that I had very good test cases (which I focused on because the position was for Quality Engineering).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything, but their offer was much higher than my previous salary.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Salesforce.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was just general process.i had got phone interview.the guy was ok who interviewed me.he asked just whatever i had mention in my resume and few technical questions.

Interview Question – interview questions are average questions.he asked just whatever i had mention in my resume and few technical questions   Answer Question

Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online (since I didn't see the campus recruiter on the campus career fair) and get an email about one month later. Scheduled a first phone interview with a LMTS of quality engineer. The interview is scheduled for 45 mins but actually last for only 30 mins. Discussed some question on my past experience from resume and one simple array processing coding question. Then I was ask to do some test on the code. Get another email that evening and scheduled a second phone interview which is one week later. The second interview is with the manager of the team I'm going to work for. It last for full 45 mins, discuss about one of my past project and especially focused on how I find problems and test it. Then a classic brainstorm question was asked. Get a offer that evening from a recruiter's phone call. The recruiter team from salesforce is very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Question – How to find a special weight ball from 8 balls while other 7 have the same weight with a balance? (all same color, shape etc.) Trick is that you don't know if the special ball is lighter or heavier.   View Answers (9)

Reason for Declining – I don't know why I applied QA, because I'm more interest in being a developer. So I accepted another developer position from another company. If this is a developer position from Salesforce, I might consider it.

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me by e-mail to set up a phone interview with a QA architect. This is the first time I know there exist architect for QA job.

The interviewer who called me has a weird accent and she can't speak English very clearly so I kept asking her to repeat her questions. This interviewer provided too much information that is not related to the question she was asking and I was mislead. When I told her I was having problem understanding what she was looking for. She gave me more information just to make the situation worse without clarifying anything. At last, she got impatient and literally yielded at me over the phone.

When she wanted me to write some code on collaedit.com (a online editor), she read the URL to me character by character, which is hard to follow because of her accent. When I asked her if she could send me the link through e-mail, she said she doesn't her laptop with her. Finally she sent me the link and I finished the coding.

The whole process is very unpleasant. I felt this interviewer is not an effective communicator because she couldn't provide the right information to describe her question. When she tried to clarify, she just made the whole thing even more confusing. Also her attitude was really bad because she practically yielded at me. This was rude and unprofessional. At the end of the interview, she didn't mention the next step and hung up the phone very quickly. Again, the attitude was very unfriendly.

I think I probably fail the phone interview. But based on what happened, I already decided not to consider this company at all.

Interview Question – As I said, I didn't really understand what she is looking for, but I think she wanted me to design manual test cases for a log in page. The information she provided include, production environment, testing environment, performance environment, database for different environments, configuration files, different accounts, etc. just to find out if I know how to log in to a web page as a user. Nothing technical. I personally feel this question doesn't deserve to be used for a interview and I feel humiliated.

The coding question is to reverse a string, again, I feel humiliated.
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2010.

Interview Details – very generic questions- out of book.
Anybody who prepares for an interview can crack these.
Interviewer was 15 mins late- FAIL.
Some interviewers were friendly, one was highly rude, and pretty much implied that I won;t make it.
(oh well, they hired me!)
They had 5 rounds- programming question, manager 1/1, another manager 1/1(that didn't make sense but whatever), then some database and algos.
Questions could easily be searched for online.

Interview Question – Played a game of 20 questions!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No I did not negotiate the offer because I thought it was good.
I think other companies are offering the same, if not better compensation.
It makes sense to have another job offer in hand, and then negotiate with the HR here.
Oh, and definitely negotiate on the position, because it is hard to get promoted once you're in.
Salesforce will go to any lengths to hire you and keep you happy, because once you get an offer, that means 99 other were declined, they don't want to go through that whole process again, so ... play your cards right!

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – Got a call during the Campus recruiting process. The first interview was a technical 1:1 interview. Questions on calculating no. of times a word repeats in a text, reversing a linklist and basic Java questions.

He asked me to write cases to test an Elevator

Interview Question – How to reverse a Linklist   View Answers (3)

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – I am waiting for the next level interview

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in November 2010.

Interview Details – I handed out my resume to on of their recruiter on campus here at the UIUC

a few day letter I received an e-mail asking me to go and complete a profile on their website.

After that they ask me my availability to schedule a phone interview.
The phone interview was successful. They invite me for an on-site interview in San Francisco

Interview Questions

• I was first given a programing test. The test consisted of Java string class: MyString. 2 funtions definition were given. I had to write the code for two function without changing the remaining code.

One function was supposed to make a lexical comparison between an input string and a the string stored in the class.

The second function was supposed to find the occurrence of the input string in the string stored in the MyString class.

Two JUnit tests were also to be written to test the functions implement and the test had to pass.

All had to be done in an hour.
      Answer Question
  • the second step was to write a function that would detect if a sorted array contains two integer that sum up to 7. And then improve your code so that the array is accessed with only one iteration.   View Answers (2)
  • Another question was: what's the difference between an abstract class and an interface. Can a class inherit both from an abstract class and an interface at the same time?   View Answers (5)
  • The other steps consisted of how would I test a new "copy" feature added to an application   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewer told me to tell about resume, projects?
It took 10 mins.
Then he asked have you done any Testing project?
And I told him about my testing projects.
He asked me how much you rate yourself in java.....scale 1-10.
I answered 6-7, as I am not an expert.
Basically he was going through my resume and asking things from my resume.

He started asking Java,

1. what difference between abstract class and interface?

2. Arrays and vectors?

3.String and String buffer?

4. Object oriented concepts like inheritance, polymorphism..............?

5. Advantages of OO?

6. Describe synchronization...........?

7. 2 questions on threading?

8. few more question o java, very basic questions.

Then he gave me two things to test?
1. string
2. vending machine.

QA Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – I applied during the career fair of my univeristiy. They contacted me about 2 weeks after applying. They were very nice about it and super simple to set up and establish both interviews. Kelly, the recruited is extremely nice and you should definitely email her with any doubts.

The interview process was simple, two phone interviews, first one regarding my resume and a general background check and make sure you can speak and know your resume.

The second was a technical interview where they asked about lined lists, trees and then JUnit tests and other QA general questions.

Interview Question – Traversing a tree, since I hadn't seen any data structures yet.   Answer Question

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!