Salesforce.com

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – Several stages:

System design: how to design a back end system (with scaling scenarios)

Algorithms: graphs and trees

Programming: Java fundamentals and collections

Architecture: explain a system you built

Databases: ways to address performance and scaling

Work history and culture seemed to be addressed during each stage of the interview.

Interview Question – How to efficiently merge two sorted binary trees?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Salesforce.com in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an external recruiter who arranged several informal interviews. When it was decided to proceed for a specific job, I had a technical programming exam which was evaluated for style and sophistication. They then flew me to San Francisco for a day of interviews.

Throughout I was very impressed with the professionalism and courtesy. Relative to other very big companies I interviewed with, salesforece.com was by far the best.

Interview Question – The programming exam was fairly large and had many ways of doing it. I chose to spend time on the design and proper Object Oriented design of my code and never actually got an executable going. Nevertheless the quality of my code impressed them enough to invite me to in person interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base salary was firm, but I negotiated a starting bonus of approximately 10% of my annual base, and increased the initial RSU stock grant by 20%.

They were also very flexible with starting date.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen by a recruiter. Followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then invited to give a presentation and was interviewed by 4 people.

Interview Question – You're on vacation and you need to provide your boss with input for a presentation to the CEO. What do you do?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process itself is OK. The problem I am having is a few days later their HR called and told me most of the panel members have very positive opinions toward me and she "just need to collect a couple more feedback". And couple days later she said the group I originally interviewed with "had just lost the headcount", and "whether I would consider an opportunity at another group". Seems I was the candidate B for that group and candidate A had just accepted an offer. If that's the case why got my hopes up while in fact a guy was in front of me? Also the group manager I had lunch with had an annoying habit of staring at me constantly.

Interview Question – a 2 hours programming exercise with a simple file system command simulator   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Has another offer. Does not want to consider another group at salesforce and more delays.

San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Salesforce.com in July 2009.

Interview Details – This is a special interview where part of the team I have met before had a good impression of me so they invited me back for a full interview, with a different set of people on the panel. There is a two hour programming tests where you are expected to build a Java class that can satisfy the requirement as specified on a 4 page document. Advice to test takes please do not spend too much time on reading the requirement at the first time, since most likely you will need to come back and review it again. The problem might look simple but it could take the full allotted 2 hours to finish it. My 1:1 sessions started after the programming tests. I had 5 interviewers plus another person taking me for lunch(no interview questions but not sure if part of evaluation).

Interview Question – What kind of communicator are you, "mellow" or "aggressive"?   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – some are technical but others are not. It varies by dept and interviewers

Interview Question – most of them are not so tough. It seems like you will be judged by not just your technical skills but also your personality   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Salesforce.com

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com Senior Member of Technical Staff interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees and interview candidates.