Salesforce.com

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

It seems people's interviews fall into one of two groups: the first is where Salesforce's HR is diligent, proactive and communicative; the second is where they drop a lot of balls and seem to fall victim to the chaotic pace.

Mine, unfortunately, was in the second group. I can't say that I should have been hired because I was well qualified for the position because my candidacy went through a combination of three bungled calls and appointments by the coordinator and her contractor assistant. I finally did get two onsite interviews: a group interview I thought I was 15 minutes early for but ended up being 15 minutes late because the HR coordinator gave me and the internal teams different times; finally, a second with a nice but highly distracted manager who didn't seem to want to hear what I could bring to the role but also could not articulate what he wanted.

Needless to say, I did not receive an offer. I was relieved.

Interview Questions
  • How do manage the expectations and requests of people you do not manage?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce.com

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in March 2013.

I contacted someone I know at Salesforce because I noticed that they had several openings that might be of interest. She referred me internally, and I had a phone screen with someone in HR within a few days. They set up a two-person phone screen: one with an individual contributor on the team, and one with the hiring manager. I had been asked up-front to provide deliverables that I had worked on, and I said that I wasn't willing to send them, but I would be willing to show them something from an old project via screen-sharing. The two phone screens focused exclusively on those project deliverables, and both of them were identical. There was no need to have two people phone screen me with identical questions, which was my first red flag. My second red flag was that neither of them gave me an opportunity to ask questions about the position or the company, which shows a lack of consideration for the candidate. I decided to accept the in-person interview to see if it was an improvement. After I accepted the in-person interview, I had another call with the HR person to make sure that I was ready for the in-person interview.

The in-person interview wasn't an improvement. It started with a group interview, including a VP who spent the whole time reading email on his iPad. Then we went into 30-minute 1:1 interviews. The 1:1 interviews, with people who would supposedly be my peers, proved to me without a doubt that I didn't want to work there. They asked questions far below my level of expertise, and seemed to have no idea what they would do with someone of my experience. The day wrapped up with a problem-solving exercise that was so basic that I wouldn't even use it for an intern interview.

I had made it clear to the HR rep that I would only be interested in moving from my current position if I could see how it was a good career move for me, but none of my interviewees gave me the chance to ask them any questions. Each of them spent a lot of time telling me how great Salesforce is, but all of them gave identical reasons, and none of them were about the actual work that they did or about their career growth. They'd already told me ad nauseam how great Salesforce is during the phone screens, so I was really hoping to understand more about the company and the team.

I walked out of the interview certain that I had no interest at all in working for them.

Interview Questions
    • None of their questions were difficult. The only thing unexpected about the interview process was how little consideration they showed for me as a candidate. Only one of the interviewers, including the hiring manager, gave me the opportunity to ask questions about the team, the position, why they were growing the team, and how I could grow my career there.   Answer Question

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!