Salesforce.com

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Salesforce.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted via job portal and technical interview with Tech lead was schedule.
Next step was a detailed coding exercise. Once that was cleared 1:1 with engineers was scheduled for onsite.

Interview Question – Should know you resume well. A lot is judged based on the coding exercise you will submit.   View Answer

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – There was a 1 hour phone interview with hiring manager. If that goes well, it was followed by a 2 hour times programming test. That went well and was invited for on-site interview. It was 4 technical interviews. 1 was with a iOS developer, lunch interview with managers, Android concepts with 2 Android Engineers, 1 with product manager and last one with two Test Engineers

Interview Question – OOPs concepts   Answer Question

Interviewed at Salesforce.com

Interview Details – I applied online and the HR/Recruiter was prompt in contacting me. A phone interview was lined up. This was all done in email. I got the call from the interviewer. He had a thick accent, which I can deal with in normal circumstances. However, he was on his speakerphone in his cubicle. He was rustling papers and typing right next to the phone. There were bursts of conversation in the background. Most of the interview consisted of me asking him to repeat himself and trying to paraphrase what he just said. He rambled all over the place. I'm a little hard of hearing and was instructed by various friends in the recruiting/hiring realm never to mention any kind of disability, btw. So, I didn't feel like I was in a position to tell him that or instruct him to find a conference room and a land line and try again. I still haven't decided if I am going to email the recruiter about this.

I have not heard back, so I assume that it is not going any further. I wish companies would actually contact candidates and let them know the outcome of the phone screen.

Interview Question – The only question I can remember is me asking, "Can you repeat that?"   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Salesforce.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – They have 2 phone interviews. The first one is a technical phone screen with various questions asked without getting much into detail. Second one is a timed programming test in which they give you a problem definition, sample input and output and 2 hours to implement the program. You have to then submit the code to them. After that I was called for an onsite interview (4 technical ones , one puzzle solving and 1 behavioral by the hiring manger). Each tech interview is focused on a particular area like database queries or UI or algorithms/data structures. Puzzles were not that complicated

Interview Question – Cant say due to NDA   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Salesforce.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – salesforce has something like 700+ jobs they're advertising, but they're not really hiring. The job ads let them cast a wider net, get a sense of what type of talent is out there, but hiring is very very slow. Similar to Google but more disorganized. It took more than 2 months from my first contact with their recruiter to my onsite interview. I don't believe the company is really growing, they have work for which they wish they could hire but hiring is not a priority or considered critical for growth. So one could be wasting a lot of time waiting on them to make up their mind.

Phone interview was 45 min long, we went over some parts of resume, some technical (fairy easy) questions. Interviewer didn't seem to know what to ask, so it was a pretty random back and forth, conversation style discussion. He went onto to explain what his group does and how he and his team interact with others. No real structure, very adhoc and no process.

Full day interview onsite, all 1:1 with technical folks and senior managers. Again a situation where none of interviewers seem to know what to ask, the first interviewer started with random basic technical questions , mostly abstract. The questions were vague, and he didn't ask them clearly so it was hard to understand where he was going. The whole session was unpleasant, and ridiculous ... it made me lose interest.

The next interviews were with folks with some industry experience but no one really senior. Questions on database basics, OS, Java, etc. A few wanted to discuss the same minor technical problem they had encountered earlier, not knowing I had already discussed it earlier with one of the interviewers. Again none of the interviewers didn't know what to ask, even from my resume. Most seemed unsure and vague, which was disconcerting.

Their whole environment is build on top of this 1 Oracle db table (data multi-tenancy they call it), and they have layers of Java to marshal data in and between the different layers and the Oracle table. They make outlandish claims like what they' ve built is the one of most complex Java apps in the world while it's a pretty run of mill, lipsticked web CRUD app with convoluted tricks to make up for all the poor arch decision they made so far. Their former cto gave a talk at a qcon conference, explaining how they got into this mess. You can see the talk on infoq.com They have lots of ex-Oracle folks whose job is to curate and maintain this one table. They're not working on any real interesting technical problems, which probably explains why hiring is slow.

Interview Question – sorting/merging on whiteboard, efficiency and tradeoffs of algorithms, Oracle basics and tuning, corner cases for Java (lang, deployment, etc), OS internals/operations, describe previous experience in extreme situations...   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in July 2009.

Interview Details – you need to clear toughest programming test which tests your aptitude skills and analytical thinking power,
salesforce wants best people available in the market you need to be competitive enough if you have brains this is the best place to work for and you should be career centric. around 9 people interview and 2 hours of written test think how much technical stuff they should have asked to get the job

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in November 2009.

Interview Details – Had an hour long technical interview, followed by a six hour on-site interview. One with a senior engineer, a two hour programming exercise on a laptop, an hour lunch, an hour with a hiring manager, and an hour with two more junior developers. The questions were mostly around data structures and algorithms, and some SQL stuff. Staff were courteous, although the question asking seemed to have been more artificial in nature, e.g. the grid path question was asked posed incorrectly (after I looked it up), the junior developers couldn't explain exactly the problem they were asking a solution to.

Did not get an offer, the position was actually a step down for me (to development) so my on the spot white board coding was probably not up to their expectations. I guess I'll have to take my years of experience designing enterprise level software to some place else. Also, I hadn't looked for a job in a long time, so my prep work was not complete.

Interview Question – The number of paths in a m x n grid to a given cell? (After looking it up I noticed the interviewer actually asked the question incorrectly). So, always ask for more details if things are unclear.   View Answers (3)

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com in October 2008.

Interview Details – I am a college hire, so my interview process began at a campus job fair. Fairly standard technical questions (basic OO, DB, and algorithm analysis), but no deep personality questions.

A few days later, I received a call inviting me to an on-site interview. They were very accommodating to my schedule, letting me pick any day I wanted within the next couple weeks. Generally companies have set days for interviews, so this was quite unexpected and already set Salesforce above most others.

The on-site interview was a whole day affair. It started at 9am with a 2-1/2 hour programming test. They sit you in a room with a laptop (with internet), give you a problem to work on, and come back a couple hours later and take you to lunch. The programming test emphasizes scalability over completeness. While I am sure finishing the program is a plus, they seemed more interested in the overall design you choose and if you put any thoughts into efficiency and scalability (i.e. what data structures you used). If it's any indication, I didn't finish the program, but still got an offer.

After lunch, there are a series of 1:1 or 2:1 interviews (~4 hours total). Employees from different teams come and talk to you about various topics, such as security, basic network/web knowledge, OO design, .Net knowledge (although this might have been unusual since most development is in Java, and even the .Net stuff is being converted to Java), and DB normalization. It's a bit rough, but the interviewers realize that you probably don't know everything about every topic. They will all have a copy of your resume and they tend to center questions around what is on it. That means you have to be confident with whatever is on your resume and they do expect you to talk in detail about anything on it, but they try not to ask questions on stuff you probably don't know.

Overall, I came into the interviews with hesitation, but left feeling confident and excited about the prospect of getting an offer. The employees seem very excited to be there, and there is a certain electric atmosphere that is apparent when you walk into the office. Everyone is in low-rise cubes, which fosters collaboration, but means less privacy. The views of the bay are fantastic and very relaxing.

Interview Questions

• .Net questions: I knew C#, but not the intricacies of .Net such as the GAC.   Answer Question
  • DB Normalization questions: Not especially hard, but it had been a long time since my DB class.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a verbal offer a couple weeks after my interview. A few days later, I received another call announcing that they had increased my offer in several ways (base salary, sign-on bonus, etc...). I did not ask for any of that.

After the unexpected increase, I did not negotiate my offer.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – Contacted by the recruiter and sounded like they were interested in hiring for all SE roles Senior and above. However, after the initial discussion with HR, whose questions were very very generic and broad based on the candidate's experience there was no move forward. It was quite strange to be rejected at this stage, maybe they were just checking the market for talent and salary requirements. Strange.

Interview Question – The recruiter was keen to know minimum salary expectations and was very pushy to understand current compensation package. It was cited as the #1 question that the internal HR would ask of the recruiter. It seemed strange that they would rather hire bad talent for cheap that good talent for a fair price. No one demands to be over paid and I've never heard of HR/recruiter making this a reason for rejection. I only speculate, but outside of this I don't know why else there was no follow up. I guess you really do get what you pay for.   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – One screening interview - 30 minutes
One phone interview with a director of development - 1 hr
Nice guy - he shot like 20 questions randomly then he said "ok, someone will contact you"
Had to turn down next interview because of another job offer

Interview Question – . JS - what is eval()
6. JS - what is the diffenrence between == and ===
7. Web - how do you keep information in a web application - cookie vs session
8. What is GET and POST - differences
9. How hashmaps work - hashCode and equals operators
10. Piriciples of OO - encapsulation, inheritance
11. What is synchronized?
12. Big O of data searching on different data structures - array , linked list, hashtable
13. Java difference of a hashtable and hashmap
14. Something that you are proud of - code and other - industry related
15. Describe a development process - engaging client - requirements - etc
16. Favorite java classes
17. What does AJAX stands for?
18. what type of response can you get from and AJAX call - string or XML
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Salesforce.com

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees and interview candidates.