Salesforce.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Professional Interview

Professional
Staines, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Salesforce.com.

Interview Details – Applied for position online. Within a couple of weeks was contacted by HR recruiter by phone and was asked some questions about my experience, skills and suitability for the job - this was quite inappropriate since the HR person had no expertise or knowledge of my field, yet was to decide whether to put forward my application to the Hiring Manager! At the end of the call the HR person told me I will be "recommended" for an interview.

Within a day I received a call to schedule a face2face interview and subsequently a confirmatory email.

Had to travel several hundred miles to the interview location. The Hiring Manager turned up 10-15 min late with another person to meet me at reception. He was barely awake and was looking to the side when shaking my hand - I would have understood if it was an early morning interview but it was already midday and I was the one who had to travel there. No interview room was available so another 5-10 mins wasted in finding a room. Just when the interview started the other interviewer with no embarrassment said had not read my CV and asked to explain who my current employer was - a very well known company within the industry but interviewer had not heard about them. We had a brief chat and was asked some average competency based questions around the field and my experience. The interview was 45mins at best. At the end I was told that the process is long and slow and that I should hear from them within a week re next stage - I did not hear back from them for 2 months!

Interview Question – Chat about field and relevant experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I couldn't believe how unprofessional the recruitment process is at this company. The interviewers seemed tired and uninterested in life in general and I was annoyed that the Hiring Manager had not qualms about asking someone to travel several hundred miles for a 45 min interview - a phone/Skype call would have been much more appropriate. I did not want to work for such a company with such people and declined their invitation for a next stage interview.

Very Easy Interview

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Strategic Account Manager
Staines, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – The initial meeting was very informal. Just a general chat about life, family, career successes and aspirations. Overall a very relaxed and positive start to the process.

Following this, I was then invited to present to a 'panel' at the UK HQ in Staines. I was given a standard corporate slide deck and told to go and prepare a 45 minute presentation.

On the day, I arrived at reception 5 minutes early, and was met by a flustered recruitment manager who wasn't expecting me for another hour. A check of both our calendars revealed he was mistaken and I was actually on time.

The panel I was intended to present to, and who I had researched extensively, was not in the office (nothing to do with the 1 hour time difference - they were not in at all that day). So the recruitment manager hastily rounded up three unwilling participants from the office to serve as my panel. Needless to say, a little disconcerting after I had poured a huge amount of effort into preparing for the presentation.

Undeterred, I ploughed through and did my best to remain passionate and enthusiastic, even though the audience spent most of their time discreetly looking at their iPhones under the table.

The 15 minute 'comment and feedback' section at the end was actually 30 seconds of "yes - well done - I need to go now".

Following this experience, I began to wonder if I actually still wanted to work here. The situation was explained away as "we're doing so much recruitment right now, this sometimes happens". So I decided to stick with it.

Next I had a 15 minute face to face with the UK AVP and a telephone interview with the UK MD. Both encounters were relaxed and informal and I found it easy to remain in control of the conversation. Both of them had left Salesforce within 6 months.

Finally another telephone interview with the President of EMEA. On this call, I had been warned to expect such questions as "how many hairs are there on a dog" and "how many bicycle tyres were sold in China last year", but it was nothing like that. Just a straightforward conversation about life, career, family and why I wanted to join Salesforce. However, I have heard that he has used such analytical questions on other interviewees.

I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions - the whole thing was a walk in the park, but my situation may be rather unique.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was more difficult. They wouldn't budge on anything, to the point that I didn't sign the offer letter for a week. After pushing very hard, I conceded and took their offer.

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Staines, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in December 2011.

Interview Details – Telephone screening, call with manager and team members, panel case study presentation and interview, final interviews with senior execs

Interview Question – Tell me about the competition, their strengths and weaknesses   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales/Consulting Interview

Sales/Consulting
Staines, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salesforce.com in June 2010.

Interview Details – Its was an informal interview with a person I already know who invited my for an expansive discussion to investigate the possibility of finding a fit for me skills in their organisation. 2nd step would be an interview with a more senior member of their team and would include a role play, however I have decided not to pursue the opportunity.

Interview Question – there wer not any hard questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There would be little benefit to me with joining this organisation and would be a sideways move.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!