Salk Institute Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.4

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

The whole process was very quick and easy! I had 6 interviews in a 3 hour period, each with a panel of three people I would work with. Everyone was really friendly and annoyed that they had to go through stock HR questions before getting to know me better. The standard questions were all situational and focus on how you handled certain situations in the past.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

Look for job through website and contact via e-mail and schedule for interview. give a talk and chat around with other postdoc. I got offer after meeting with other postdoc.

Human Resources Interview

Interview

Basic questions, why salk? what do you dislike and like about your current job? What is your goals?

Interview Questions

• What is the lowest Compensation you are willing to take?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

I received a call from someone in HR wanting to set up a phone interview. A couple days later, I had my phone interview. I could not believe the person I was speaking to was in HR. She was not friendly and rather dull. She could not provide me any information. I asked her follow up questions and she had no answers. She couldn't even tell me what the next steps in the process were. About a week later, I had a panel interview. I interviewed with four people who were cordial but not friendly. They didn't say much. It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I have ever been on. I knew they didn't like me when they didn't ask me much and cut my interview short.

Lab Aide I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I got a call for an in person interview. I met at HR and was led to the lab, where I was given a tour and an overview of my duties. I was mainly asked about my past experiences and whether or not I was patient enough for even the most tedious of tasks.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

Not that difficult. Same as other postdoc positions.

Negotiation

Depending on your boss

Interview

one phD came to interview me as her assistant. She asked couple of questions about my academic interest. She was doing plant biology research but I only had research experience of molecular biology. So she thought that my background didn't match hers. I didn't pass the interview.

Interview Questions

• "I saw your background and knew your interest was in molecular biology, but I am doing plant biology research. How do you apply your knowledge to my research?"   Answer Question

Human Resources/Training Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

First interview was with the hiring manager (who was also the HR manager, I believe). She was great, and I felt the interview went really well. Their HR dept is very casually dressed and laid back. Second interview was very long, about 5 hours. I had to take two different computer based assessments: one on Power Point and one on Excell. I am proficient in both of these and use them both daily, but the test software was so tricky. Even though there are multiple ways to do the same thing, if you don't do it the way the software is programmed, then it is "wrong." After that, I had a 30 break (brought a lunch) and then I had two other one-on-one interviews. One with the HR director and one with another HR manager. After that, I had a panel interview with everyone from HR who I would be working with. Then finally, I had an interview with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard job interview questions. The panel was most unexpected and difficult because they were really trying to "test" me because of the possibility that I would be working alongside them. I don't blame them for this, but it was just a little rough.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Interviewing for a post-doc job is very particular to the place where you are interviewing.

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Salk Institute in March 2009.

Interview

It was quite easy process for me. Before Join my current group, I was quite familiar with the type of research in the group, and has known my current PI. I was invited for a one-day interview. I gave a talk to the group about my past research project, and met with all the people from the group.