Salk Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.3

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First arrived at HR, where I was then escorted to the laboratory. Met the professor and we talked about the research and a few of the skills I had mentioned on my resume - nothing too in depth.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't you considering graduate school instead of this position?   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

HR manager and lab manager came for a 40min interview. They are very friendly, Interview process very comfortable. They give a brief introduction of their lab and ask me about my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• 1.Describe your past research and 2. Next 5-years goal.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

The whole process was very quick and easy! I had 6 interviews in a 3 hour period, each with a panel of three people I would work with. Everyone was really friendly and annoyed that they had to go through stock HR questions before getting to know me better. The standard questions were all situational and focus on how you handled certain situations in the past.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

Look for job through website and contact via e-mail and schedule for interview. give a talk and chat around with other postdoc. I got offer after meeting with other postdoc.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I sat down with the lab manager and some of the lab members. They gave me more details about what the daily duties of the position would be, and they asked me to elaborate on some of the past research projects and techniques I'd mentioned in my resume, but nothing complicated or detailed.

Interview Questions

• Do you ever plan on going back to graduate school?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Interview

Basic questions, why salk? what do you dislike and like about your current job? What is your goals?

Interview Questions

• What is the lowest Compensation you are willing to take?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

I received a call from someone in HR wanting to set up a phone interview. A couple days later, I had my phone interview. I could not believe the person I was speaking to was in HR. She was not friendly and rather dull. She could not provide me any information. I asked her follow up questions and she had no answers. She couldn't even tell me what the next steps in the process were. About a week later, I had a panel interview. I interviewed with four people who were cordial but not friendly. They didn't say much. It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I have ever been on. I knew they didn't like me when they didn't ask me much and cut my interview short.

Lab Aide I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I got a call for an in person interview. I met at HR and was led to the lab, where I was given a tour and an overview of my duties. I was mainly asked about my past experiences and whether or not I was patient enough for even the most tedious of tasks.

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Met up with the lab manager first, and was asked a few basic questions about my motivations in science, why I felt this lab was a good fit for me, and what I hoped to do in the future. Also discussed previous work experience, what I gained, and what I hoped to gain here. Then met with the postdoc I would be working under, and discussed her research.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel you will gain by being a part of the lab, and what do you feel you will contribute to the lab?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

Not that difficult. Same as other postdoc positions.

Negotiation

Depending on your boss