Salk Institute Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.5

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Salk Institute.

Look for job through website and contact via e-mail and schedule for interview. give a talk and chat around with other postdoc. I got offer after meeting with other postdoc.

Human Resources Interview

Basic questions, why salk? what do you dislike and like about your current job? What is your goals?

Interview Questions
    • What is the lowest Compensation you are willing to take?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Salk Institute.

I received a call from someone in HR wanting to set up a phone interview. A couple days later, I had my phone interview. I could not believe the person I was speaking to was in HR. She was not friendly and rather dull. She could not provide me any information. I asked her follow up questions and she had no answers. She couldn't even tell me what the next steps in the process were. About a week later, I had a panel interview. I interviewed with four people who were cordial but not friendly. They didn't say much. It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I have ever been on. I knew they didn't like me when they didn't ask me much and cut my interview short.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Not that difficult. Same as other postdoc positions.

Depending on your boss

Research Associate Interview

one phD came to interview me as her assistant. She asked couple of questions about my academic interest. She was doing plant biology research but I only had research experience of molecular biology. So she thought that my background didn't match hers. I didn't pass the interview.

Interview Questions
    • "I saw your background and knew your interest was in molecular biology, but I am doing plant biology research. How do you apply your knowledge to my research?"   Answer Question

Human Resources/Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Salk Institute in August 2012.

First interview was with the hiring manager (who was also the HR manager, I believe). She was great, and I felt the interview went really well. Their HR dept is very casually dressed and laid back. Second interview was very long, about 5 hours. I had to take two different computer based assessments: one on Power Point and one on Excell. I am proficient in both of these and use them both daily, but the test software was so tricky. Even though there are multiple ways to do the same thing, if you don't do it the way the software is programmed, then it is "wrong." After that, I had a 30 break (brought a lunch) and then I had two other one-on-one interviews. One with the HR director and one with another HR manager. After that, I had a panel interview with everyone from HR who I would be working with. Then finally, I had an interview with the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard job interview questions. The panel was most unexpected and difficult because they were really trying to "test" me because of the possibility that I would be working alongside them. I don't blame them for this, but it was just a little rough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Salk Institute in August 2011.

Interviewing for a post-doc job is very particular to the place where you are interviewing.

No negotiation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Salk Institute in March 2009.

It was quite easy process for me. Before Join my current group, I was quite familiar with the type of research in the group, and has known my current PI. I was invited for a one-day interview. I gave a talk to the group about my past research project, and met with all the people from the group.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Salk Institute in June 2011.

Initial communications started via emailing the PI. The PI asked me to come into his office for a quick interview which consisted of simply running through my resume, a few questions about my past laboratory experiences, and some questions about my research interests.

While work culture may vary between lab groups, in general the environment is very lax and at your own pace, as to be expected.

Media Technician Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Salk Institute in June 2010.

Initial phone interview with Human Resources. Panel interview of four persons. Solutions and dilutions calculations and verbal statement of procedures for process were evaluated. Understanding of sterile techniques and aseptic techniques discussed as well as procedure for preparing cell culture media and the pouring of agar plates. It was evident from the interview that this position does not interact and is not located within the laboratories the media is prepared for. Position was offered by phone two days after interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Salk Institute? Contribute to the Community!